Classic Film : Splendor in the Grass (on tonight)

Splendor in the Grass (on tonight)

Re: Splendor in the Grass (on tonight)

Warren Beatty looked so dreamy in this. And Natalie Wood never looked better.

Hey Diddler, Diddler….the cat and the fiddler LOL

👍 Wish I had TCM…

Wait! I can watch it right here on Filmboards!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

I didnt like that movie.

I think Splendor in the Grass is one of the most honest and heartbreaking stories of young love that has ever been put on the screen. I saw it when I was 13, and, for reasons I've never quite understood, it inspired me to become a film director. Because of the remarkable talents of director Elia Kazan and writer William Inge my life was changed forever.

I love so much about this film, the writing and directing above all, but also David Amram's beautiful score, and, of course, Natalie Wood's amazing, heartbreaking performance. It's a film that will live in my heart forever.

I have a bittersweet memory about this movie, but its still great.

Kudos on becoming a director. I can only get a vicarious thrill from watching OTHER directors' documentaries.

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

😊

Can you describe how you got started? Things people might not know? I'm very interested. My life will never be fulfilled in part because I've never made a feature film. I'm even tired of writing screenplays and coming up with ideas because I know they probably won't come to fruition.

Started making 8mm films when I was a teenager, studied drama in college, made a film that won an award, which helped me get to Hollywood. Did a number of jobs there from script supervision to editing in order to make a living. But kept writing and directing my own short films. One of them caught the attention of the right person, and from that came by first paid directing job. Not an easy path, by any means. I don't think I would have been successful, if I hadn't had the passion and the inspiration that I got from seeing Splendor in the Grass. I'm not kidding when I say that film literally changed my life.

I wish you luck with your endeavors. It's not easy, I know. You need talent (unfortunately not the most important thing), luck, and connections, hopefully the best kind. Hang in there. I hope it works out for you.

That's great - I'm glad you "made it".. I think my chances are over with, and I don't have the energy anymore. I would have been happy with ANY job involving the movies, writing (or music) as opposed to having to do everything myself (publishing, marketing, shows, sales, Amazon).

I've always noticed you as being someone who replies to my movie topics so I'm extra glad someone who actually has great taste in movies "made it".

"Splendor in the Grass" is a very meaningful movie in my life. I, too, was trying to "make it" in Australia (after trying everywhere else), but couldn't, and tried moving back to a house I rented before, but the city wouldn't approve it because the landlord found some non-qualified guy to do the electrical work, so I ended up living next door, with a friend. She hardly ever watched movies (at least ones I liked) but she was captivated, and she admitted to liking it afterwards. I think its Kazan's last great movie, and I love it… Natalie Wood was so great in this, I just got chills (after taking a pause to reflect)

Really appreciate your comments. And I'm sorry that you feel you've run out of the energy to pursue your dreams. But in some ways I can relate to that. The industry has changed a lot, and what people are interested in seeing has changed, too, and so much of it I don't like at all. So I feel like I don't have a lot of energy left for it either. In any case, I hope you can find something that provides some solace for you in this strange, dystopian time.

Judging from your excellent taste in films, I have a feeling that you have real talent. Thinking out loud now, but I wonder if you should think about writing a novel instead of a screenplay, which you could then self-publish? A friend of mine did that, and his next two novels were published by notable companies. I don't know a lot about how it works; I'm just thinking it might be something that could give you more of a sense of control in your creative life. Something to ponder. In any case, I wish you good luck, whatever you decide.

I've self-published books (travel, humor, political satire), plays, photography, music (playing all the instruments - no computer or fake instruments).. I've gone all over North America trying it out, Europe five times, Australia twice, Asia, and half the time no one wants to pay an artist, and if they do, it's very very low…. And now I can't even self-publish! I deleted my e-mail address I used on Amazon (so I could monetize my YouTube channel), and then they sold it to another company, and the only thing they would do is send a verification to that dead e-mail address. But even before, I couldn't get people to show up, despite sending over 500 e-mails… The Institute of Arts, The Public Library, you name it, I've tried it.

Oh, man, you're way ahead of me on this! It all sounds so daunting and incredibly disappointing. I don't understand how creative people who aren't already connected and engaged know how to find an audience and actually make some money these days. I'm sorry. I wish it were different. I hope, for your sake and others like you, that our culture returns to some kind of non-internet driven normalcy soon. In my world, less is almost always more.