Classic Film : Bell, Book and Candle

Bell, Book and Candle

Stunning!

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Re: Bell, Book and Candle

I remember Pyewacket the Cat!

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

Indeed, as do I!

And I remember the tear.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

The origin of the name is fascinating. It comes from a 17th century witch trial.
Pyewacket was one of the familiar spirits of a witch detected by the "witchfinder general" Matthew Hopkins in March 1644 in the town of Manningtree, Essex, England. Hopkins claimed he spied on the witches as they held their meeting close by his house, and heard them mention the name of a local woman. She was arrested and deprived of sleep for four nights, at the end of which she confessed and called out the names of her familiars, describing the forms in which they should appear. They were:

Holt, "who came in like a white kittling"
Jarmara, "who came in like a fat Spaniel without any legs at all"
Vinegar Tom, "who was like a long-legg'd greyhound, with a head like an Oxe"
Sacke and Sugar, "like a black Rabbet"
Newes, "like a Polecat"
Elemanzer, Pyewacket, Peck in the Crown, Grizzel, Greedigut, described as imps

Hopkins claims he and nine other witnesses saw the first five of these, which appeared in the forms described by the witch. Only the first of these was in the form of a cat; the next two were dogs, and the others were a black rabbit and a polecat – so Pyewacket was, presumably, not a cat's name. As for the other familiars, Hopkins says only that they were such that "no mortall could invent." The incident is described in Hopkins's pamphlet "The Discovery of Witches" (1647).

https://findwords.info/term/pyewacket

I GameBoy - H. superior

How absolutely bizarre these sound…

I wonder if there was even a shred of fact behind this? I mean did this man actually spy on a coven? And where did he come up with the names? Human beings are bizarre animals.

I GameBoy - H. superior

I'm not sure, but there is as you know, truth behind "bell, book and candle." Beyond that, I'm not sure."

Yeah, I tried to determine what was the reality there behind his attempt to have non-conformists murdered. But I just don't believe they actually manifested themselves as animals! There was some sort of occult revival going on obviously. I wonder if there are any sources which reveal what was really happening, not what the witch hunters said was going on.

I GameBoy - H. superior