Classic Film : Favourite Francis Ford Coppola movie

Favourite Francis Ford Coppola movie

Apocalypse Now

Re: Favourite Francis Ford Coppola movie

100% agree.

I don't get much out of The Conversation. I like all 3 Godfather films. Haven't seen many of his other movies, but Apocalypse Now is not only my favourite Coppola film, but easily my favourite film in general.

The Godfathers - yes, even Part III, or at least parts of it - are practically unbeatable; but I find The Conversation continually absorbing and touching, and his little-known 1969 drama The Rain People has been one of my essential 10 or 20 films for the past thirty years.

The Godfather Part III is very good in its own way

People leapt on it for all kinds of reasons back in 1990, especially exaggerating Sofia Coppola's amateur-level but hardly disastrous performance. Basically, the film lacked the romantic magic of the first two, which is unsurprising given the lapse of nearly two decades and the tight intertwining of Parts I & II. Nevertheless, it's a formidable and moving drama, and Pacino's iteration of Michael Corleone is probably his best.

The Godfather Trilogy is his supreme achievement. Godfather III is unfairly attacked for being more cerebral and densely woven than its predecessors and the texture is considerably darker as Michael's Hellish life comes to its inevitable close in a bloody Gotterdammerung for the Corleone family.

Subsequent history has caught up to The Conversation. We live in a world in which there is no expectation of privacy and our private lives are sold across the internet to anyone with a desire to make a profit from the knowledge.

With all that, I'm going with Bram Stoker's Dracula

Coppola took every cinematic innovation since Melies and wrapped it all up in one audacious package of pure visual magic. To some, it was overbearing and bombastic, to me it was a cornucopia of everything fantastic.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

Apocalypse Now

The Godfather

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

American Graffiti. He produced it.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Easy, The Godfather 1 and 2. Apocalypse Now is a close second.

"You're a disease, and I'm the cure!" - Marion "Cobra" Cobretti

Jack

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

My favorite is "Rumble Fish". Not as epic as "The Godfather" or as politically provocative as "Apocalypse Now", but a good film with a great story and nice imagery.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

The Godfather