TV General : Has anyone tried watching foreign Netflix shows/movies…

Has anyone tried watching foreign Netflix shows/movies…

With the US translation ?

Good grief. They always pick such bizarre voice actors to play the roles.

You’ll have some elderly German guy dying, sounding like a chipper Ryan Reynolds

3 Grand Slam titles, 11 slam finals, 2 gold medals at the Olympics

Re: Has anyone tried watching foreign Netflix shows/movies…

My big beef with Netflix and translation is the choice of subtitles used for Roma. They only have the hearing impaired option which means you are being told that the water being used to wash the floors at the beginning is making a noise. Don’t they have basic translation subtitles available or is that too much to ask?

This is in the UK. Perhaps things are better organised in the US.

Any recommendations?

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

If you watch foreign movies with English dubbing and English subtitles you will quickly find that what is spoken and what it written out are more often than not completely different, meaning they are being translated by different groups and quite sloppily at that. Therefore, this is a terrible way to learn another language.

Exactly! I've noticed that as well. But when I watch foreign films being dubbed by other actors, I find myself too distracted by how their mouths are making different shapes than the words coming out. I still prefer reading subtitles and hearing it in the original language. But I do agree, that it seems like it's done by totally different people with totally different abilities at translation.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." Morticia Addams

Subtitles are a pain, even for English-English as I often find myself too distracted reading what's being said than to see what's happening on screen.

I do like to watch Chinese movies though to laugh at how ridiculous the translation is between dubbing and subtitles in Engrish. Like seriously, why doesn't the dude typing out the subtitles just listen to the dubbed version and type that shit up instead of doing his own translation?

I imagine Mr. Kim doing the subtitles after listening to the dubbed version and saying "you tink that good? That no good! Mr. Kim show you better!" and just making up his own version!

I was thinking of watching European movies with subtitles yesterday.

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish, Amish
5'2"-5'4"
Blog

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.