Classic Film : The Exorcist, Burke dennings death scene

The Exorcist, Burke dennings death scene

I am new here, and I hope I don't ruffle
any feathers when I explain that you have
all been duped. The Exorcist I had the pleasure
of viewing in dec of 1973 was a master work.
But I am sad to inform you guys that what you
have today has been butchered. First and formost
Burk Dennings had left the party when regan told
the astronaut that he would die up there, just before
soiling herself. Second the astronaut came to see chris
and was ask by Sharon to stay with regan while she ran
out to retreave medication. Thats when he went up to her
room, finding a window open he went to close it before
checking on Regan. That is when Regan(The Demon floated
over to him turning his head completely around before throwing
him out her window. The other scene that cut was what
happened at the party while playing the Ouji Board.

Re: The Exorcist, Burke dennings death scene

Sounds like devil shit. Go on.

Re: Did not quite understand your comment.

Hello Danny, Please explain your comment.

I really wish you guy's could experience
true horror (The Exorcist )uncut.

Unless you have the footage it is gonna be hard to convince these folks of your claims.

The only poster who had his account banned 4 times without ever breaking any rules each of those times.

Why would I make a false statement
like that? I think that it's the kind of
terror you cannot easily forget. I was
only 16 at the time and I also remember
not being able to sleep. Yes I was there
in dec of 1973 an experience that I will
remember the rest of my life. Whether you
believe me or not, the choice is yours.

Why would these scenes have been cut? Do you mean that they were only ever seen in the theatrical run and haven't been seen since?

Yes, that's what he means.

The only poster who had his account banned 4 times without ever breaking any rules each of those times.

Oh, absolutely! I also remember going to see it in '73 and ever since then I can't for the life of me understand why they later edited out the following scenes:

* When Chris comes home from the film set and glimpses Fr. Karras on the way, she is so frantically overwhelmed with lust that she grabs Karl and throws him across the kitchen cooking range and rapes him while shrieking satanic epithets and swinging her breasts around like she's landing a jumbo jet at JFK.

* When Sharon is scolded for not watching Regan up in her room she scowls, waits for Chris to run upstairs, and then pulls a foil baggie out from under her paperwork. Emptying the powder onto her compact mirror she chops a few lines, snorts two, bites her lip in ecstasy and shrieks "Mutha. FUCK. Aaaaaahhhhhh….." and then pulls out her Chris voodoo doll which she proceeds to stab with the scissors while laughing maniacally "I is union, bee-yotch! Yes I IS!"

* The whole flashback to Fr. Merrin's days as a member of Ballet Trocadero where he has a run-in with the troupe's reigning diva, Madame Pazuzu, who tries to sabotage Merrin by filling his dance belt with itching powder on the first night of Swan Lake, leading to decades of misunderstanding and ill will.

* Fr. Karras's leaving money for his snoozing, disabled Mom while trying to sneak out only to be stopped by a bullet taking off the door handle and lodging in his hand. "What the' HELL do ya call this?" shrieks Mama, waving the dollar bills around in the air before flinging them in his face."You wanna know how much a carton of milk costs in this freakin' neighborhood? An' whisky an' a pack a smokes?? Now, drop 'em!" And as she waves the gun he drops his trousers and she lurches for his money belt and rips it from his waist. "Now get outta here ya cheap-ass fairy before I call the Archbishop and let 'im know what you and yer pals get up to with all them choirboys!"

* When Regan pees on the carpet in front of Mommy's fancy friends, Chris goes predictably apeshit and lunges across the room at her, fixing her in a two-fisted stranglehold and slamming her little head over and over against the floor while screaming "What did I tell you about Doctor Pepper, huh? What did I tell you! Always the same frickin' thing with you and the sugary drinks before bed!!! Well I've HAD ENOUGH!!!" And the guests have to haul her off Regan before she loses too much blood and passes out.

Fascinating! Please continue….

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

Well at this point my memory may be playing tricks on me, but in the scene where Chris runs into Regan's room and all that stuff - records, books, clothes, furniture - comes flying at her from across the room, I'm pretty sure they cut out the matching shot where Regan is actually bent over on the bed and shooting all that stuff, ping-pong-style, from her clacker.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

I read your recollection of scenes that were cut from the Exorcist
and I have to say, that I do not recall any of that. Unless you
are joking. But seriously If you were actually there in Dec of 73
then you should also remember Regan(the Demon)throwing the astronaut
not Burke Dennings out of her bedroom window. Which I believe can
only be found on VHS.

No, I saw it repeatedly on VHS in the late '80s, and the astronaut is merely told "You're gonna die up there" by Regan at the party scene. There's no further mention of him, and certainly Mark Kermode's definitive BFI book on the film would have alluded to it as a lost, or missing (or planned but never shot) scene had it ever been in existence. Not everything has significance, and all stories have loose threads. Had Regan killed the astronaut it would have given him too much prominence in the story compared to his actual importance, which is minimal. Burke, on the other hand, is both Chris' ally and a hard-nosed skeptic, which provides Pazuzu (or Regan, depending on your interpretation) with two targets. Also, had an 'astronaut killing' scene ever existed you'd better believe the film's many devotees would have unearthed it and uploaded it to YouTube at some point in the last 14 years.

I saw the movie in early '74.

I was in line for the second show when the first audience walked out in total silence looking as if they had just been lobotomized. People in my line were actually thinking about going somewhere else.

As for Denning's death scene, it wasn't in the movie.

Chris comes home to find Regan alone with the window wide open. Downstairs she berates Sharon for leaving the child unattended and is then informed of Denning's death.

Chris screams and turns to the wall. The audience thinks she is reacting to the death of her friend, but what she was actually reacting to was the spider walk that had been cut from the movie before it was released.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away