John Boyega : Lando Jr?

Lando Jr?

"Hello, what have we here?"

Re: Lando Jr?

No, just because a black guy got cast as THE young lead in the new Star Wars film doesn't mean his character is related to the black guy in the original franchise.

Rubbish. It's Lando's kid. The fans will love it.

No he's not actually.

Why would his kid be in the empire? It doesn't make any sense.
Lando was with the Rebel Alliance. He *beep* up the second Death Star pretty *beep* hard.
His son would at least have to clear his identity, to join an empire that is losing a war after that mighty blow (I've only watched the movies, dunno about the lore, but I got the impression the empire is losing). It just doesn't make any sense!

-*Inserting random phrase by famous madman/idiot that makes me feel intelligent*-

Taking aside if it is Lango's kid or not, some rebels have been wearing stormtrooper uniforms before.

I haven't read the script or anything, but I won't draw any conclusion from a few seconds of a trailer... especially after Marvel's IM3 BS.

I hope so since it looks like Billy Dee Williams isn't appearing

I hope not, I'd rather have him as a padawan

Prolly Luke's son. Remember, this is the PC-friendly 21st century where genetics and race magically disappear on screen!

I'm pretty sure he'll get paired up with Daisy as the Liberal "new future" ,like we don't see enough of that already. A black woman with a White man would be more revolutionary. Have you read some of the reactions? It's hard to believe how many people despise their own skin.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."

There's no human-on-human racism in Star Wars. Some are speciesist....

This life is a preparation for heaven, hell....or both.

The first interracial kiss on screen was (I believe) between Captain Kirk and Uhura.

He could be his adopted son. However, Luke is a Jedi and thus not supposed to marry and breed. That was why his father was so easily taken to the dark side. Plus, I rather be PC than an ignorant bigot who's scared of the future.

Well the future doesn't look too promising, have fun embracing it. lmfao!

I do of tact this is the PC-friendly 21st century where genetics and race magically disappear on screen!

Examples?

Shut up. Characters get whitewashed all the time and then people like you always defend it saying that it's "just a movie".

https://twitter.com/CMoviegrapevine
www.moviegrapevine.com

Please.. a few examples?

Really?
The Last Airbender, Prince of Persia, Stuck, 21, Dragonball:Evolution, 30 Days of Night...

Google man.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Oh, you misunderstand - you said I 'defend them and say it's just a movie". I want examples of THAT.

Last Airbender - Didn't see, lousy director, and the white/middle-eastern-washing made it seem like crap.

Prince of Persia - Didn't see, but it seems like a movie property based on a video game that nobody really cares about nor is really that popular had a hard time getting made without some sort of known actor attached, and Jake Gyllenthal was probably the only name actor who was like "Eh, ok, I need to pay rent". Looks like a crap movie regardless, so I'm certainly not defending it.

Dragonball: Evolution - You really think ANYONE defends that horrible abomination? Even ASIAN actors couldn't possibly make that work!

30 Days of Night - haven't seen so I can't defend. But it looks like they needed to cast *some* names in order to sell the product. I mean, I know the Inuits are such a profitable demographic, and they have tons of money they like to spend on entertainment and stuff... right...

Stuck was a pretty bad movie...

I will defend Charlton Heston but that's about it.. also your stipulation was also that I defend things based on "it's just a movie", and there's a lot that I wouldn't use the word 'defend' so much as explain the process of filmmaking, investment, turnaround and returns/sales, but you might be a little too young and daft...

You misunderstand me too. I'm not talking about how good the movies are. I am just saying they are examples of whitewashing, and yes, I and many websites would define whitewashing as the casting of a white actor for a non-white character.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Well, ok, except I asked for examples of 'whitewashing being defended by me', since you decided to make assumptions about me as a person and how I think, just because I have beef with the new Star Wars.

Also, so you are equally angry about blackwashing, yes? Like Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin, the black Annie, Sam Jackson Nick fury, black Johnny Storm, etc.. yes?

"Also, so you are equally angry about blackwashing, yes? Like Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin, the black Annie, Sam Jackson Nick fury, black Johnny Storm, etc.. yes?"

The whole point of my original comment is that there is a HUGE double standard about this. When characters are whitewashed the few people who protest get drowned out by voices saying "Shut up you butthurt liberal. It's just a movie. Best actor for the part, race doesn't matter."

Then if a character gets "blackwashed" as you call it: "This is reverse racism!" "Stupid PC Hollywood".

So no, I guess I don't get as pissed about it due to this double standard. Also, blackwashing happens far less often than whitewashing. Yes, I did make an assumption about you. I assumed you would be one of the people that defends whitewashing and then vehemently opposes blackwashing. I should not have assumed that. I just see so much of this double standard that it drives me crazy.

P.S Sam Jackson was the model for the Ultimate version of Nick Fury in the comics , so it makes sense for him to play the part.

www.moviegrapevine.com

But if you're going to be objective about the problem os 'race-changing' -- which, let's face it, that's the 'problem' category; segmenting it into 'whitewashing' and 'blackwashing' only serves a hypocritical us vs them.

As for Sam Jackson, that's still blackwashing, it just started with whoever the artist was who did it afte 5b4 r watching Jackson in Shaft. It's still 'blackwashing'

How about Big Hero 6? That was a whole lotta anti-Japanese washing going on there!

Yeah I heard about Big Hero 6. Tokyo becomes SanFransokyo lol.

I am trying to be objective but I can't help but be frustrated with the double standard. The double standard that is all over online discussion(not just imdb) does gear me towards a more us vs them attitude.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Unfortunately double standards and hypocrisy is part of human nature, and lies solely in the domain of the us vs them groupthink. As noble as the idea of 'equality' is as far as representation in entertainment; it's just really hard to accomplish. And it's not a sinister 'Whitey' plot. It's just what's available, who's ideas are being used, what's popular and trending to incorporate, who's the audience with the wallets, etc. And as an individual, I suppose I find 'homogenizing' an idea to be.. well.. kinda of disgusting and unnatural in its presentation without screaming "This is a product we want you to by because there's a character in it that represents your demographic!' instead of focusing on the inner workings of the characters themselves and their journeys.

I do get where you get your frustration of double standards from, but I would again say that things are circumstantial, and even the top 50 movies Hollywood releases don't compare to the stories and characters in thousands, if not more, films and media that are made each year.

"And it's not a sinister 'Whitey' plot. It's just what's available, who's ideas are being used, what's popular and trending to incorporate, who's the audience with the wallets, etc."

Yeah but white is seen as more popular. There is research that shows studios are more willing to bank on unknown white actors than unknown black actors.
Despite some black actors emerging as box office draws e.g. Will Smith, Denzel Washington, The Rock
studios are still very hesitant to cast non-white actors in lead roles.

Ridley Scott even defended his cast in Exodus by saying he has to have a white actor to get financed for films.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/exodus-director-ridley-scott-defends-charges-the-movie-is-too-white-1.2853893

www.moviegrapevine.com

You are confusing 'popularity' with 'reality demographics'. For most of America's history, white males have been the majority of the inhabitants of this country, and the principle audience because they're the ones who had expendable income. Not only that, but African Americans are roughly 8% of the population, so why would they comprise more than 8% of the cast?

You also have to look at the profit of the films. You can't legislate or mandate people to pay to go see every movie in the name of equality. And if the black community says white males can't relate to black males, then why would white males pay to watch a movie starring black males? 'Popular' is another of those groupthink 'us vs them' dividers and should be left in high school where it belongs. Reality works differently - most people are just stunted intellectually to grasp that and instead pretty much self-perpetuate that which they claim to want to eradicate.

Also, Ridley Scott? That pompous cynical windbag? He made about 3 great movies back in the 80s, and has been smoking too much herb, and he probably cynically made it an all white cast to proof that the 'powers that be' require an all white cast. But that's my take on something we'll probably never know the real spin-less version of. Besides.. why the hell is he doing Exodus anyway? Sit down, old man Ridley!

You missed my point man.

I'm not asking for a quota and I realize how demographics work. Btw, blacks sure as hell do not make up 8% of the leading men in mainstream Hollywood.

My issue is that everyone says race has no part in the casting of actors, but if that was the truth then studios wouldn't be worried about casting more actors of colour. It is a fact that characters who are meant to be black, Asian, Indian etc. are often changed to make them more "relatable". However, I don't think we should continue to condone the belief that skin colour has to match for people to relate to someone else. If that was true, Will Smith would never have been a big star(he's faded now but for a while he was huge).

"And if the black community says white males can't relate to black males, then why would white males pay to watch a movie starring black males?"

What are you talking about?

www.moviegrapevine.com

Well it's hard to see your point when you're flailing.

> Btw, blacks sure as hell do not make up 8% of the leading men in mainstream Hollywood.

Why are you cropping the entire gamut of the filmmaking craft down to a specialized select few corporations?

>My issue is that everyone says race has no part in the casting of actors, but if that was the truth then studios wouldn't be worried about casting more actors of colour.

There's a lot wrong with that statement. 'Everyone'? Well, that's already disprovable. And of course, *depending on the circumstances* race can certainly play a part in casting.

>It is a fact that characters who are meant to be black, Asian, Indian etc. are often changed to make them more "relatable".

'Often'? I'd like the know the exact amount of 'ethnic-to-white' (not to be confused with 'white portraying ethnic') instances - and then I want to know the exact % compared to the entire number of movies total. Then I'd like to know how you get 'often' from that.

>If that was true, Will Smith would never have been a big star

Then I suppose that disproves that casting people are racist? And th 238 at disproves audience members are racist?

>What are you talking about?

It wasn't that difficult to follow. The complaint is that there should be more black leading male actors, but why would a group, who have been defined as 'not being able to understand black life' much less be deemed 'inherently racist' and 'privileged' waste any amount of time on something that apparently genetically cannot be understood? And why would you require a white male who obviously has not the same experiences as a black male to write black characters? Unless yo 5b4 u are implying that all characters in movies should be vapid and hollow that practically any gender or race could portray said characters?

"Then I suppose that disproves that casting people are racist? And that disproves audience members are racist?"

Hell no. Looks like I misunderstood you that time.

It wasn't that difficult to follow. The complaint is that there should be more black leading male actors, but why would a group, who have been defined as 'not being able to understand black life' much less be deemed 'inherently racist' and 'privileged' waste any amount of time on something that apparently genetically cannot be understood? And why would you require a white male who obviously has not the same experiences as a black male to write black characters? Unless you are implying that all characters in movies should be vapid and hollow that practically any gender or race could portray said characters?

Ok, I s 5b4 ee your point. The wording just had me confused. I don't mean I want vapid black characters. Having black characters doesn't mean a film has to involve ethnic culture. For example if you have a black character who lost someone he cares about and is seeking revenge, does the person being black really stop someone from relating to the feeling of loss and anger the character may feel? That is the mindset that bothers me. I think you actually understand what I am trying to say, which is rare on here.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Re: La
5b4
ndo Jr?

I'm also curious where the absolute dominant representation of black males in the media prevalent on media everywhere all year long in toe form of professional sports fits into all of this. Perhaps the balance comes in blac 2000 k males in the athletic entertainment; white males in the artistic entertainment? Let's also take a look at what's popular in music and you absolutely cannot deny the massive prevalence of rap (and even its effects on pop rock), so now we're seeing a 2-1 lopsided in favor of blacks. So video games become more white audience and we're achieving a 2-2 balance again.

I mean, we can look at numbers as limited and as wide as you want, but if you think there's a machine system of how this works, you're naive. Everything is circumstantial, and there are a plethora of different factors for every instance. Absolutes is once again going into us vs them misguided groupthink.

Interesting point but there is research that shows that black males in sports are often framed as brawn, while white athletes are the brain. Football(NFL) is the best example of this. Successful black athletes are often revered for physical ability alone, while white athletes are revered for traits such as intelligence, work ethic etc. Also more whites are present in roles such as QBs, coaches and management. Things are more complex than the simple display of numbers that you're focusing on.

www.moviegrapevine.com

white america can't even cop to the crime & own their acts perpetrated against the african-american, much less ever apologise for it (which you can't do with 1st acknowledging the crime/s). racism has been insidiously baked into america's gov't & culture for 300-400 years, & whites are basically ok with that. let's face it, hillbillies, rednecks & COPS have been given the all clear to go ahead & murder blacks (mostly male), children included, because our sys of justice WILL exonerate them, & where they CLEARLY arrest, prosecute, & imprison based solely on the colour of one's skin.

in fact, white america has finally figured how to reinstate slavery in our time by privatizing prisons so corp's like unicor & the federal prison industries can "repatriate those jobs" that they sent to countries where they can get away with paying workers $5/month. now they can once again take it for free from a prison complex that warehouses a 70+ percent minority "workforce." and if we're not incarcerating them, we're stealing their rights to register & vote, diverting any economic, social, education aid into the pockets of billionaires (pretty much all white men)... need more?

& yet poor little white man jumps onboard the "reverse-racism" wagon like rats robbed of garbage. YOU take centuries of the treatment we've doled out to blacks, & tell me if YOU don't see REAL racism under every rock, & turn to selling drugs & robbing/mugging, so you too can live the comfortable life, much less in some rundown, rat/insect-infested dwelling, or sending your kids to college. so excuse me if charges of "blackwashing" seem petty & trivial...

So since you lump all whites together as being ants with a Queen/drone structure going on, does that mean that blacks aren't as evolved? I mean that in an anthropology sense. Are you acknowledging lesser evolution? Or are blacks also on the same system where the actions of one black in america is actually representative of all of black america in the same drone/queen ant structure. So I can personally hold you accountable for what happened to Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom?

>so excuse me if charges of "blackwashing" seem petty & trivial...

You're excused.. What the hell are you even doing here then? Get out.

What a complete load of crap heh ...

Check out Indian Superman movies (Bollywood) and Indian Star Wars lol.

Also, live action Japanese movie version of the Japanese comic/manga "Attack on titan" (which of course, said comic was written by a Japanese person), now will take place in modern Japan (post apocalyptic), with an all Japanese cast; when the original comic took place in Europe (presumably some rural section of Germany) with a mostly Caucasian cast, and ONE Japanese female (who's ethicity was crucial to the stories plot). So hows that a case for "Asianwashing" lol

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge

India and Japan are very homogenous countries, over 95%. That is why I hate it when people say "Oh how diverse is Bollywood?"

Hollywood's film industry does not represent its diversity at all, especially in terms of lead roles.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Whatever

Its not like Indians dont know who the hell Superman is lmao

Pretty sure there would have been a lot of Indians with some sort of common sense and worldly knowledge laughing at the idea of an Indian Superman. It looked like low budget trash even for Bollywood.

And Attack on Titan movie is based off the comic book which was written to take place in Europe; so blame the Japanese author for not pandering to homogenous sensabilities and then blame the movie director for not taking the source material seriously

Or would you have rather Tom Cruise's Last Samurai movie to feature all White people pretending to be Japanese? lol

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge

Not a very relevant reply, but thanks I guess.

www.moviegrapevine.com

Plus, most instances aren't what you call "whitewashing" - as in making an ethnic character's race white story-wise; but rather just white actors playing ethnic roles.

i wish there was a LIKE button for this post lol

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think he's the equivalent of Kyp Durron. The main Jedi apprentice that is not related to Anakin Skywalker.

Fill Billie Dee Williams shoes

This actor looks about as much like Billie as Angelina Jolie looks like Roseanne Barr. The actor although may be talented, just doesn't have it in the looks department. I wish him well in Star Wars. There will never be an actor like Billie Dee. I'm glad Lucas had the foresight to cast this drop dead gorgeous man. No one has ever being able to fill his shoes...although Iris Alba comes close.

Re: Fill Billie Dee Williams shoes

His face is boring as *beep*.

He is not Lando's son.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Finn_Galfridian

Well reading that Bio he is certainly not Lando's son.

Physical description
Species - Huma 5b4 n
Gender - Male
Hair color - Blond
Eye color - Blue
Skin color - Light

Looks like they messed that one up a bit in the casting. Had to get in the token black guy it seems.

Actually, to contradict my original post.. i seemed to of have the wrong Finn.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Finn

Actually that'd be cool if he was Lando's son. I thought that at first actually too, since stormtroopers were supposed to be clones of Jango Fett only. Maybe he'd be a rebel or something like that or present equivalent or whatever and be Lando's son. I know he isn't, but that'd make sense too. Boyega can pull it off if that was the case is what I'm sayin.

It's like Apollo Creed's son can have his own movie without Apollo actually being in it too. Alive or not.

Lando Calrissian is my favorite Star Wars character of all time. He's the smoothest and coolest.