Fargo : is this the most over rated movie of all times?

is this the most over rated movie of all times?

I mean, what is this?
Yes, you can say this movie is shocking, satirical, funny,dark and brilliant- but I say its poor, boring, not funny, unrealistic, underwritten and just plain bad.

I can list at least 100 movies that deserve this 8.2 rating and top 250 chart..
Coen brothers just make bad stuff(except no country for old men).. I mean, Fargo(2014) Tv series was even worse than this movie.

Just, im dissapointed.. I wouldnt say this movie is horrible, but man- its certanly isnt good.. 6/10 for me

Re: is this the most over rated movie of all times?

Fargo...both movie and tv series...were excellent.

So sayest us all.

The unholy triumvirate:
The Bat, the Trek, the Bond

So tedious when people like you go to a board to say something is "overrated" and "I can name XXX movies that deserve a good rating more." Get over yourself, it is what it is, and if you don't like it then just look the other way. Complaining is like yelling into the vacuum of space, but then I doubt that you are smart enough to understand the analogy!

..*.. TxMike ..*..
Make a choice, to take a chance, to make a difference.

I agree.
I saw it many years ago and yesterday I thought 'well, I wonder if I would get this film now' (I remember not liking it very much the first time but I thought I'd give it a second chance) and rewatched it knowing full well that it won 2 Oscars and people rave about it constantly.

I found no connection to any characters, no interest in what happened to any of them. The only bits I found enjoyable were the ones with Steve Buscemi because he's so 'funny looking'. I spoke to someone who loved the film about this and they said 'what's great about the film is the story'. My opinion is that the story was actually not interesting at all BECAUSE of the difficulty in connecting with the characters. By connecting I mean love, hate, fear... I definitely felt indifference. Maybe I felt a little bit of hate for Grimsrud but not enough to make me invest in the story.

The constant 'yeah... jeez... darn yeah...'s of the film were greatly overdone. I get the satirical motive, but to me it seemed like the director was constantly reminding us of this and to me it just screamed 'I think the audience watching this film is stupid so I need to remind them of the satirical element constantly'. Audiences are smarter than directors make them out to be.

I get it: it's a comment on American society where people talk to each other but never really say anything ('how are ya?' 'good, how are ya?' 'Great, good to hear from ya') and maybe how Jerry's greed brought so much death around him. Or, if I didn't get, I'd love to know what people that liked it think the comment is.

I just couldn't forgive certain elements of the film like: the only people involved in a triple homicide are two local cops? Okay, it's a small town but something like that would have made headlines and brought more involvement in the case and yet, what we're shown on screen is Marge investigating by herself. Also, at the end of the film I'm supposed to believe that a pregnant police officer BY HERSELF doesn't wait for back up when she's sure that whoever owns the car by the lake had some involvement in those murders? I think no police officer, pregnant or not, is taught to act that way in those situations. I know it's a film but this just didn't do it for me.

The actors were all great in this but I find it hard to believe that it won 2 Oscars. There are some films which I personally don't like but I understand why are considered to be among the best. With this, I'm still finding it hard to understand why it's in the Top 250. I guess it all has to do with personal taste.

Just curious, did you enjoy "Trainspotting"?

That may seem a random question at first glance but I believe "Trainspotting" and "Fargo" have a common element, and that is the dark comedic absurdity of it all, yet with a kernel of truth. For example my wife, who is pretty traditional ("Field of Dreams" is one of her favorites), doesn't care at all for either one, but for me they are both among my favorites.

It is easy to understand how mainstream movies are easy for a broad cross section of fans to enjoy, movies which go towards the absurd are a different case. I can easily understand how many don't care for "Fargo" but I hope you can accept that for many fans it is a brilliant movie. Differences in tastes, that's all.

..*.. TxMike ..*..
Make a choice, to take a chance, to make a difference.

enjoyed trainspotting. Tho I wouldnt say these 2 films have too much in common.

I see little in common between Trainspotting and Fargo. Sorry. Perhaps you could say both movies have somewhat of a quirky sense of humor, but the humor in Trainspotting works for me whereas Fargo's sense of humor does nothing for me.

I was never really sure if this movie was intending to be a comedy or a drama or a thriller. I enjoyed The Big Lebowski because it is clearly a comedy, and it certainly works. Fargo is a snoozefest for me.

I may give it another shot someday. But for now, not really looking forward to it.

There is nothing to get. The film isn't mysterious or ambiguous. It's a well made thriller/drama. Some people love it. Some don't.

America isnt ready for a gay mexican chicken sandwich - Poultrygeist

I strongly agree with the above.

About 8 or 9 years ago, a couple of very good friends showed me this movie. They really raved about it.

When it was over, they were asking: "Well? What did you think of it?". I was mainly trying to figure when and how my friends had been replaced by the pod people I was now talking to...

Like the above poster, I found no connection with any of the characters. They were all unlikeable a-holes to one degree or another, except McDormand's character. And her character was just this big question mark to me.

Highly over-rated. Like most Coen brothers films.

While I disagree with the OP--this is one of my top 5 all time movies--I thank you for your detailed explanation--I welcome a chance to understand how another comes to an opposite conclusion. Trolls who just attack the tastes of others are so annoying. But reasoned disagreement is great.

Just curious OP, what's your IQ?

higher than yours for sure if you think you can mesure IQ by opinions idiot

He didn't try to 'measure IQ by opinions'. He simply asked what the OP's IQ is.

Never defend crap with 'It's just a movie'
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigGreenProds

"higher than yours for sure if you think you can mesure IQ by opinions idiot"

Ya gotta luuuuv irony.

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

The real question here is how retarded is your grading scale when you give 6 / 10 to a movie you don't like.

I don't get it... So, I should give high ratings to movies I don't like?

Coen brothers "just make bad stuff"? Whaaaa?

Fighting the frizzies, at 11.

This highly original black comedy deserves it's place in the best films of all time. My idea of an overrated movie is Shwshank Redemption. It's ok but it's also cliched and emotionally manipulative.

We have different opinions about what movie should be..By this, I mean the hearth of the movie. What should be the purpose.

For me the movie should cause an emotional shock, make you wonder about life, make you question things, make you feel, make you change your life, make you angry or happy.. whatever, a movie should touch you and make you emotional. That are the kinds of movies I remember for a long time.

And this kind, like fargo I forget in a week. Im not saying its a bad movie, thats why i rated it a 6/10. But this kind of movies shouldnt be hyped this much.
I also like to watch this kind of movies occasionaly, but that doesent mean I praise them into beeing best movies ever made.

Thats why I dont like having to tell people my favourite movies, becouse movies differ and every is unique.

I could say Pulp Fiction or The Usuall suspects are the movies that I likedthe most, but that doesent mean they are my favourites. Yes, they left me with my jaw to the floor, and they are a piece of art, but they didnt make me a better man, they didnt improve anything in my life and they didnt make me realise important things in life like other films did..:(Requiem for a dream, Blood Diamond, Slumdog millionare, Beautifull mind, Schindlers list, Leon, City of God...)

Thats why I differ "favourite movies" and "movies that I respect and like most"..
And sorry to say, but fargo aint in either

You mentioned The Usual Suspects. I happen to think that movie is over rated. But that's just my opinion. We all have opinions.

I concur. It has a cleverish twist but not much else about the movie is all that great.

I remember almost leaving the theater, I was so bored with the Usual Suspects. There was still 30 minutes to go and I remember thinking, Jeez, I just don't care anymore, get me outta here!

By this, I mean the hearth of the movie.

It's true, there was little hearth in this film. And when there was hearth, it was small. So sad, when a good film should have a large, broad hearth. And with lots of proofing before posting.

Be sure to proof your posts to see if you any words out

Nothin but the best for my dog..Not A Speck Of Cereal. Yeah, im one too.

Be sure to proof your posts to see if you any words out

Every single film ever made - bar NONE - is manipulative. Name a single one that isn't. Just one.

While you're at it, name a few of Fargo's cliches. Because a LESS cliched film I can barely think of.

Never defend crap with 'It's just a movie'
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigGreenProds

If you are a fan of character based movies, then this could be the best one ever made. Coen brothers always have great characters in their movies, I could watch this over and over. All the performances are top notch.

I think the accents are a little overdone, they kind of beat you over the head with it, but other than that it's great.

--
"Surrender Dorothy!"

I agree OP. The movie is defiantly overrated.
I did watch Trainspotting, enjoyed it immensely, this movie not so much (its a 7/10) in my opinion - decent but overrated.
Can't avoid the trolls on IMDb forums though.

Can't avoid the trolls on IMDb forums though

THAT'S a mouthful, considering IMDb is becoming nothing BUT trolls. I've just about stopped visiting . . .

I swear if I see, "The most overrated movie EVER" ONE MORE TIME!!! I'm no wilting flower, but these boards have just gotten entirely too nasty.

They're MOVIES, folks. They're meant to evoke different reactions in different people. You CAN express an opinion without calling someone a "d--cheb-g" or "retard."

And BTW, "American Beauty" is the most overrated movie of the modern era. LOL!

I agree with you on everything, except for "American Beauty". I can watch that movie over and over again, and I will always love it.

That said, I love "Fargo" as well.

And, by "you", I meant TRhett.

You Is Kind, You Is Smart, You Is Important...

I don't think it's overated at all. I gave it 9/10, but must have been feeling mean spirited at the time, could easily be a 10. Fantastic movie.

No.

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Coen brother films are basically "style over substance".

I'm not saying Coen brother films are shallow, just that they are not deep.

They combine not being that shallow with brilliant film technique. Certainly they are the best directors working today on a technical and storytelling level.

Anyway, I like Coen brothers films I think they are great, but certainly no masterpieces or really that emotionally substantive. Just because all their films are secretly comedies doesn't change their content, it merely demonstrates their mastery of style.

Many critics mistook the film as a drama so it got tons of awards, those that realised it was a black comedy felt like members of a secret club of geniuses, and those that neither understood the technical brilliance or storytelling brilliance just thought it was a mildly entertaining film. A win win win.

I chuckled a few times, but mostly I was just bored. It didn't interest me. No Country For Old Men is clearly their best, cos it was their most serious and they weren't trying too hard, like Fargo. I find William H Macy annoying also

Maybe you need to watch a few (lot) more bad movies to comprehend what makes a good one.

--
!spoiler

Shawshank Redemption (while pretty good) is the most overrated movie of all time. Fargo doesn't have the broadest appeal, but in my opinion its brilliant.

Fargo is an amazing folds-in-on-itself Chinese-puzzle-box of a movie that continues to deliver fresh entertainment value every time I watch it, and I've watched it many times. Every time I notice something new.

It's difficult to find another movie quite like it that combines so many cinematic storytelling techniques with unique, memorable characters and interesting plot twists dontcha know?

Fargo is a high water mark in the art of cinema. Anybody that can't see that, too bad for them.

You have a wooden leg - you must be a table.

Fargo is not the most overrated film of all time, but it is overrated, IMO. It's a knockoff Tarantino film with none of the signature whimsy and quirkiness that the Coens are known for.

---
Emojis=💩 Emoticons=

It's nothing like a Tarantino film and it's got the Cohens quirkiness all over it.

It's nothing like a Tarantino film...

That's exactly right. Fargo is a bad attempt at capturing the feel of a Tarantino film, so it's not like one at all. If it were like a Tarantino film, the attempts at dark, edgy humor would've been a thousand times better and audiences would've felt some kind of sympathy towards the hoodlum characters. As it stands, the Coens had such a hard time "getting" how Tarantino ticks that all of their attempts to capture his twisted sense of humor completely misfire and come across as cruel, if not sadistic.

...and it's got the Cohens quirkiness all over it.

Raising Arizona has the Coens' signature quirkiness, which was always marked with a certain charm. Not this movie. No one and nothing is charming in this movie. The characters are just annoying or unlikable and many of the scenes are cruel.

---
Emojis=💩 Emoticons=

That's exactly right. Fargo is a bad attempt at capturing the feel of a Tarantino film, so it's not like one at all. If it were like a Tarantino film, the attempts at dark, edgy humor would've been a thousand times better and audiences would've felt some kind of sympathy towards the hoodlum characters. As it stands, the Coens had such a hard time "getting" how Tarantino ticks that all of their attempts to capture his twisted sense of humor completely misfire and come across as cruel, if not sadistic.

Except they weren't trying to capture the feel of a Tarantino film. I've seen most of the Coen Brothers movies and Fargo was exactly their signature quirky style. You're the only one who thinks it's some sort of Tarantino rip-off. I've never read any reviews of this movie accusing it of being a Tarantino rip-off.

I've never read any reviews of this movie accusing it of being a Tarantino rip-off.

And the reason why is that it simply isn't.
Not even remotely...

And the reason why is that it simply isn't.
Not even remotely...

I'm perplexed why someone would possibly think that. I've seen all of Tarantino's movies many times and I've seen Fargo many times and they aren't even remotely similar. I think that person must've confused Fargo with another movie...

>>> they aren't even remotely similar

Well that's certainly not true. If we compare R. Dogs or P. Fiction with Fargo, we have in common that both center around criminals.

I would also say that both are "small time". What I mean by that is that unlike a movie like The Godfather or Heat or Goodfellas, which are quite grand in scope, these involve a small group of individuals.

Also, in both, there are very few side plots -- the movies are pretty focused around the criminals and their crimes.

It should be against the law to use 'LOL'; unless you really did LOL!

DEFINITELY. Damn, and I thought that Gone Girl was overrated...

The movie creates a good atmosphere and also quite successfully showcases the sharp contrast between the lives of regular hardworking people and criminal cut-throats who would do anything for an easy life which they don't deserve. And Marge is quite the heroine, 6 months pregnant, she looks like a simpleton at first glance but she still manages to crack the case single handed. Not only that the way she keeps her cool till the end when she goes after the cold blooded murderer and actually captures him alive by aiming at his legs...any other cop would have freaked out after looking at what he was doing with the wood chipper and all the blood and shot him then and there to kill.

Overall the rating is deserved I think.

-----
wat are you lookin' at...

The comment "this is the most over-rated movie of all times?" has to be the most over-used statement on IMDB. Typically bait from a troll. Clearly, the OP doesn't appreciate this film like the other 99% of us. What I find more curious than the fact the OP doesn't bother to substantiate his/her opinion with any analysis, is that he/she isn't even curious WHY so many other people love this film. Why on earth waste your time to just complain?

Nah that'd be the big lebowski

I don't really understand posts like these. It's an opinion that an individual carries, but the overall consensus is that the majority of "voters" enjoy this movie. But, because of whatever reason, we feel we must vent frustration when people don't agree with our perspective and feel that the majority of the world must be mad because they don't agree with us.

As for ExampleX, it appears you don't like Coen Brothers films, which is a valued opinion, but not one everyone agrees with -- yet, it appears you keep watching movies made by the brothers Coen. I mean, even to the point that you sat through an hour(s?) of the TV version of a movie you disliked. This attitude is kind of confounding.

I mean, I've never got the appeal of the movie, "Once". I know other people love it, but it's not for me. I have not felt the need to find other work of the creator of this movie, though I see the value of the work the person created -- it's just not my bag. Nor do I seek to watch the play or the TV shows he has worked on to see how poorly he makes other movies, because I'm not a masochist and would prefer to spend my time watching movies I love (which have been few and far between lately). So save yourselves the aggravation and stop watching movies you don't like. Unless it's for a good laugh, and to see how bad a movie is.

Underrated......YES! But you have to appreciate the type of black comedy.