Allie Grant : Ignorant people on this board - please click here to be enlightened.

Ignorant people on this board - please click here to be enlightened.

Okay.
Hi to whoever is reading this.
I just wanted to say that I think it's rediculous that almost all of the posts on here are about Allie's body. Does it really matter? Allie is a wonderful actress...wow, she's so great. And she seems like such a nice person. Also, NOT THAT IT MATTERS, she has lost a ton of weight and looks absolutely beautiful. Not that she had to and wasn't before, but it said in a magazine that she feels healthier now and that's all that matters. Plus, she can laugh at these posts all the way to the bank. (: Since this board pretty much consists of 10 year olds that tYyPeEe LiEk ThUsSs, let me try to explain this to you. Allie is a working actress, making tons of money, and you're making fun of her on IMDB. Feel a little stupid? Well you should.

Wham, I'm done.
But I hope you all understand how ignorant you are.
And to the nice people on here, this does not refer to you. :]

Re: Ignorant people on this board - please click here to be enlightened.

I don't think you know wha 16d0 t the word "ignorant" means. Some people are being judgemental. Some might be defined as hypocritical. Some may even be defined as jealous. I don't think anyone has been ignorant though... Well, except for you of course, since you don't know what the word ignorant means. Ironic, eh?

actually it's pretty ignorant when people say that because shes a little chunky she's ugly

While I can see your logic here, that is not really ignorance as defined.

Ignorance is the lack of knowlege or to be uninformed.

There is no lack of knowledge or information here, as it is a persons opinion as to what beauty is. If someone thinks that chunky=ugly, then, though we may disagree, we can't say that is ignorance (stupidity, perhaps, but not ignorance).

So, again, no ignorance.

Stupidity? yes.
Cruelty? of course.

But these are two aspects that we can expect from the human race. :\

ignorance can also be when someone chooses to ignore information

and I think its ignorant when people choose to pick out the flaws in her appearance and call her ugly, and completely disregard her more positive physical attributes

I can understand your moral ground here, as I agree that there are many features that make up a human; not just the negative ones.

Unfortunately, you are still wrong about the definition of "ignorance".

To ignore information is not ignorance. (Ironic that the word ignorance has the word ignore in it practically.) Ignorance is LACK of information. If you ignore information, then you do not have a LACK of information, but simply have chosen to ignore the information you do have. Other words you can use for the ignoring of information are:
disregard
neglect
slight
connive at
pass over
wink at
avoid
blink
brush off
cold-shoulder
discount
disdain

In this instance, the information is widley known. Her smile, her hair, her legs, her hips...all visible knowledge that can be optained through any picture. So, once again, no one here has shown any ignorance (except for those who use the word ignorance incorrectly). Much stupidity, much cruelty, much neglect...but no ignorance.

Re: Ignorant people on
16d0
this board - please click here to be enlightened.

Well put, rekcusdoo. It's nice to see people on these boards who can make their point by using facts and logic rather than petty name calling. It's also nice to see someone with a good solid grasp of the English language! The only thing I would disagree upon is the statement about "much stupidity." While I agree that many people on here have been cruel, narrow-minded, judgmental, vindictive, and most likely hypocritical, I can't really add "stupid" to the list. Stupid implies a lack of intelligence, and, as such, is a fact-based trait. The mean statements made about Allie have been of an emotional response, which really has nothing to do with intelligence or stupidity. Arrogance, maybe. Cruelty, definitely. Hypocrisy, most likely.

For the record, I don't think it's appropriate to be calling Allie ugly, fat, or anything similar. You're all, of course, entitled to your opinions, whatever they may be, but there comes a point where you're not even speaking toward any end but putting down someone you don't even know so that you may feel better about yourselves. It's really very sad, actually - for you, not her. I highly doubt Allie gives a rat's derriere what you think of her, but the fact that you must put down the physical nature of a complete stranger says volumes about you. You could be the friggin Adonis of your neighborhood, but the stains of cruelty can be easily seen, and the hideous Medusa seeps through like the shadows of Hades.

Thank you for the compliment. I do agree with you that "Stupid implies a lack of intelligence". I suppose after years on the IMDB board, I have just assumed a certain lack of intelligence by a large portion of its members. haha.

You are right that I have no facts to base calling anyone on this board "stupid". However, statistically speaking, at least some of them would be of low IQ intelligence, and would therefore fit the definition of "stupid".

After all, if 100 to 120 IQ is normal, then there must be just as many people with 60-80 IQ as there are with 140-160 IQ, and I'm betting some are on this board. lol

So it appears you have the definition of ignorant and troll down!

Re: Ignorant people on this board - please click here to be
b68
enlightened.

I'd spend the time to read the thread so that I can remember what it was about, but the uselessness of your post doesn't make me very motivated to do so. So, I'll just respond with an appropriate "screw you" and forget that your waste of a post ever existed.

P.S. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1872782/board/thread/188968636 ...It looks like she decided to do something about her problem. Good for her!

**Now for the crazies to start with the illogical arguements to my post.**

Actually, if you take a look in the dictionary, "ignorant" is synonymous with many other adjectives such as vulgar, unpolished in manner, and tactless. It hasn't gained its popular status in the English speaking language for no reason at all. The word 'ignorant' is a flexible one and can pertain to many different definitions and meanings. It varies based upon the intention.

"You have to understand the way I am, Mein Herr..."

Wow, what an old post.

Ok, give me a moment while I try to remember what this was about. lol.

Your logic is flawed. Let me explain why.

"Ignorant" only can be defined by its definitions, not its synonyms. Each of its synonyms as its own string of definitions, and the reason it is considered a synonym may be based on only one of those possible definitions.

For example, Ignorant shares synonyms with these words: uninstructed, untutored, untaught, illiterate, unlettered, uneducated.

It is very obvious why these are synonyms, since the words have very similar definitions.

However, a word does not have to have similar definitions to be a synonym...it can have partially similar definitions as well. As an example, Vulgar.

Vulgar has several definitions:
1. characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.
2. indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.
3. crude; coarse; unrefined: a vulgar peasant.
4. of, pertaining to, or constituting the ordinary people in a society: the vulgar masses.
5. current; popular; common: a vulgar success; vulgar beliefs.

Now, why is vulgar and ignorant a synonym? Because the first definition of vulgar is ignorance! Of course, vulgar has other meanings as well, which have nothing to do with ignorance, but this doesn't invalidate the given definition of the word ignorant.

Hopefully this helps with your ignorance about the word ignorant. Of course, your post was pretty random to start out with since it didn't actually speak to the original intention of the OP at all. But that's ok.

"Ignorant" only can be defined by its definitions, not its synonyms. Each of its synonyms as its own string of definitions, and the reason it is considered a synonym may be based on only one of those possible definitions.

The definition of 'synonymous' is the equivalent of another. Never did I imply that the word 'ignorant' lacked its own definitions, as all the words I mentioned have definitions that cater to their own meaning. And of course ignorance can be defined by its synonyms, based on which intent we're speaking of, and which one qualifies as the equivalent of that intent. Each synonym that I mentioned interlaces with the word 'Ignorant' in some way.

A word is not synonymous to another for nothing. It serves purpose in some area for its synonymic ways. Ignorant need not share the very same definition as 'Vulgar', but it relates in some wa 2000 y which makes it a synonym of Ignorant or an equivalent.

Vulgar has several definitions:
1. characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.

The first definition of vulgar is ignorance? Meaning lack of good breeding or taste? You don't say....

Now, why is vulgar and ignorant a synonym? Because the first definition of vulgar is ignorance!

But wasn't your argument back there that the word 'Ignorant' is not relevant to this forum? Merely because it means 'unintelligent' or 'uninformed'?

I would make the argument that the OP was simply addressing those characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste, making them IGNORANT. And if we sit here and play intelligent roles as human beings, and use the definition of a "synonym" as it was made to be used, then we'd say ignorance is equivalent to vulgar in some way, and the people on this board are vulgar or full of ignorance, like the OP implied to begin with.

Hopefully this helps with your ignorance about the word ignorant.

*Makes taunting comment about your lack of intelligence for the word ignorant versus mine*

Of course, your post was pretty random to start out with since it didn't actually speak to the original intention of the OP at all. But that's ok.

Of course it didn't speak to the original intention of the OP, as it was you who was the recipient of my message, NOT the OP. So no, it was not random.

http://youtu.be/vh92XT7Uv4o

"The definition of 'synonymous' is the equivalent of another.
And of course ignorance can be defined by its synonyms, based on which intent we're speaking of, and which one qualifies as the equivalent of that intent. Each synonym that I mentioned interlaces with the word 'Ignorant' in some way."

-This is true...sort of, and as I said...ignorant is synonymous to vulgar...as long as you are using the correct definition of vulgar. If, however, you use a different definition for vulgar then the synonymy is lost. For instance, one definition of vulgar is "Making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions". In no way is this synonymous to ignorance. Again, words can not be defined by their synonyms...at least not by their synonyms without context.

Example: Hump. Hump is defined as "Carrying a heavy object." It is also defined as "A rounded protuberance found on the back of an animal." Therefore, if I am looking for a synonym for bulge, I can not use hump to define bulge because hump can also mean "Carrying a heavy object."

The same is true for ignorance. You can not use vulgar to define ignorance because vulgar has more than one distinct definition. You can use vulgar to help explain ignorance as long as you do it with the correct context.

"But wasn't your argument back there that the word 'Ignorant' is not relevant to this forum? Merely because it means 'unintelligent' or 'uninformed'?"
-I don't recall my argument exactly, as it was a long time ago. But if I remember correctly, it was that ignorant was not a correct word for this thread when talking of the OPs anger that "Calling someone fat is ignorant" when calling someone fat has nothing to do with ignorance. How am I ignorant for recognizing obesity when I see it? It doesn't even fall under the first definition of vulgar, since the idea that recognizing obesity is vulgar would be subjective. Personally, I find it vulgar (with reference to its first definition) to ignore obesity in an every dying world. I might add that the first definition of vulgar is "characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste" and NOT "characterized by ignorance of and lack of good breeding or taste". That is an "or" there which means two separate ideas. Therefore, if you find something distasteful, and use the word vulgar to describe it, that does not automatically assume the "ignorant" part of the definition. Not with that "or" there. Basic logic.

"Of course it didn't speak to the original intention of the OP, as it was you who was the recipient of my message, NOT the OP. So no, it was not random."
-So what you are saying is that you responded to my post without taking into consideration any context from where my post came from. That's like me saying Fa--ot and you calling me a bigot before referencing that the reason I said Fa--ot was because I was asked for another word for "a bundle of sticks or twigs". Crude example, I realize...but hopefully you get my point.

Re: Ignorant people on this board - please click
da0
here to be enlightened.

Did everything I type go over your head? You literally just admitted everything I said before, but in a longer format.

-This is true...sort of, and as I said...ignorant is synonymous to vulgar...as long as you are using the correct definition of vulgar. If, however, you use a different definition for vulgar then the synonymy is lost.

I have already addressed this in my last reply. Funny thing is, you highlighted it in bold letters but decided to repeat it back to me. Odd.

Read this one over -
And of course ignorance can be defined by its synonyms, based on which intent we're speaking of, and which one qualifies as the equivalent of that intent. Each synonym that I mentioned interlaces with the word 'Ignorant' in some way."

You told me a word cannot be defined by its synonyms. I told you in the statement above that if the correct intention lies in that synonym, which is the same in meaning or intention as the word you are using, you can correctly define a word by its synonyms and validate them as equivalent.

-I don't recall my argument exactly, as it was a long time ago. But if I remember correctly, it was that ignorant was not a correct word for this thread when talking of the OPs anger that "Calling someone fat is ignorant" when calling someone fat has nothing to do with ignorance.

Furthermore, I believe what the OP was referring to as "ignorant" was the idea of judging Allie Grant solely on her body weight. At least, that is was I got from his/hers rant. In this case, I would say that these thread trolls ARE ignorant, and uninformed of what it is to have any respect at all. But that is a debate better left for another day.

-So what you are saying is that you responded to my post without taking into consideration any context from where my post came from. That's like me saying Fa--ot and you calling me a bigot before referencing that the reason I said Fa--ot was because I was asked for another word for "a bundle of sticks or twigs". Crude example, I realize...but hopefully you get my point.

LOL. When did I imply that I hadnt read the OPs statement? I merely said that, no, my post was not random based on the fact that it was addressed to you. In case you are biting your nails to know, I DID read the OPs rant, and simultaneously agreed with it. It was only YOUR post I decided to respond to simply because I felt compelled to. My post spoke to your posts intentions because they happened to be intentions I wanted to debate upon. You can save that crude example for a rainy day.

http://youtu.be/vh92XT7Uv4o

Re: Ignorant people on this board - please click here to be enlighten
5b4
ed.

"Did everything I type go over your head? You literally just admitted everything I said before, but in a longer format."
-Well then obviously you didn't read my post as I did no such thing. I specifically said that a word can NOT be defined by a sy 16d0 nonym even if you do use the correct intent. You say it can be defined by a synonym.

If I say "Define Ignorant", and you say "Vulgar", then that would be wrong, as vulgar is not anywhere in the definition of the word ignorant. You claim that "Each synonym that I mentioned interlaces with the word 'Ignorant' in some way" and therefore the synonym must automatically be accepted as a definition of the other word but that statement isn't correct either.

I might add that Vulgar isn't even a synonym for Ignorant. I'm not sure where you got that from. This is a list of synonyms for Ignorant:

apprenticed, benighted, birdbrained, blind to, cretinous, dense, green*, illiterate, imbecilic, in the dark, inexperienced, innocent, insensible, mindless, misinformed, moronic, naive, nescient, oblivious, obtuse, shallow, thick, unconscious, unconversant, uncultivated, uncultured, uneducated, unenlightened, uninformed, uninitiated, unintellectual, unknowledgeable, unlearned, unlettered, unmindful, unread, unschooled, unsuspecting, untaught, untrained, unwitting, witless

Where in there do you see Vulgar?

-Well then obviously you didn't read my post as I did no such thing. I specifically said that a word can NOT be defined by a synonym even if you do use the correct intent. You say it can be defined by a synonym.

Actually, I did read your post. You clearly admitted that vulgar is equivalent AKA synonymous to ignorance, if used with the correct intent, as I said myself.

You claim that "Each synonym that I mentioned interlaces with the word 'Ignorant' in some way" and therefore the synonym must automatically be accepted as a definition of the other word but that statement isn't correct either.

Again, you show lack of attentiveness. NEVER did I say that the synonym "must automatically be accepted as a definition of the word" in FACT in my other post, I said the opposite. Dont forget that my argument here is that the word "ignorant" is a flexible one, sharing strong, notable similarities with its synonyms, not entire definitions.

Heres my proof:
Never did I imply that the word 'ignorant' lacked its own definitions, as all the words I mentioned have definitions that cater to their own meaning. by chelledamsel 6 hours ago (Sat Oct 1 2011 19:25:52)

I thought we had sorted that mess. You're very redundant!

Ignorant in the Thesaurus:
Main Entry: crude
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: vulgar, unpolished in manner
Synonyms: awkward, backward, barnyard, boorish, cheap, cloddish, clumsy, coarse, crass, dirty, earthy, filthy, foul, grody, gross*, ignorant , ill-bred, indecent, indelicate, inelegant, insensible, lewd, loud, loud-mouthed, loutish, lowbred, oafish, obscene, raunchy*, raw, rough, rude, savage, smutty, tacky*, tactless, uncouth, unenlightened, ungainly, unskillful
Antonyms: gentle, nice, polished, refined, tasteful

Take a look in the dictionary once more. Ignorant is a synonym to crude, which is to be "vulgar" which is a synonym of ignorant. Perhaps I should have used the word "crude", though.

Let me say that my argument here is that the OPs use of the word "ignorant" in this thread was a very appropriate one. One that need not the correcting of another. You can keep challenging me on that concept, but i will remain resolute.

ht 1c84 tp://youtu.be/vh92XT7Uv4o

In typical IMDb fashion there is a debate started by an obvious Troll about the true meaning of the word ignorant. Shame on you lot for biting on that. Don't feed the Trolls.

Not sure what you're talking about. Im not a troll...I just hate ignorant people. You seem to be a proponent of ignorance...good for you.

FYI: this topic is like 4 years old.

vansu8-1: Okay.
Hi to whoever is reading this.
I just wanted to say that I think it's rediculous that almost all of the posts on here are about Allie's body. Does it really matter? Allie is a wonderful actress...wow, she's so great. And she seems like such a nice person. Also, NOT THAT IT MATTERS, she has lost a ton of weight and looks absol 5b4 utely beautiful. Not that she had to and wasn't before, but it said in a magazine that she feels healthier now and that's all that matters. Plus, she can laugh at these posts all the way to the bank. (: Since this board pretty much consists of 10 year olds that tYyPeEe LiEk ThUsSs, let me try to explain this to you. Allie is a working actress, making tons of money, and you're making fun of her on IMDB. Feel a little stupid? Well you should.

Wham, I'm done.
But I hope you all understand how ignorant you are.
And to the nice people on here, this does not refer to you. :]

you sound fat

Hahaha well I can assure you I'm not.
That was cute though.

I find it funny for anyone to waste time on a computer making fun of someone's looks or weight. Seriously how old are you people to be making fun of a 15 year old girls weight? Are you that childish and immature? So what if she doesn't look like a super thin supermodel or fake boobed pornstar. She comes off as being a really smart girl for her age (alot smarter that people spending their time on the internet making fun of her looks). Also, judging from the current pics on her imdb page she has lost weight and looks pretty good. Who care what she looks like. She's a good actress on a good t.v. show. Kevin Nealon sure isn't Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp. I don't see people on his page making fun of his looks. He's still a great actor/comedian and I could care less if he weight 400 pounds.

My point, exactly.
Thank you.

I have never been on this board before so I don't know what people say about Allie Grant, as a matter of fact this is the first thread I am reading in this board and I am a little confused...

People judge her weight and say she is ugly? I mean, this doesn't make sense. She is playing a chubby, not really attractive preteen girl. If she was trying to come across as the hot kind of girl I'd understand why people would object to that but she plays the chubby girl and she is really good at it. Isabelle's character is very original and Allie is perfect for it. There is no point in people saying she is fat.

*V*I*O*L*E*T*

So pray tell the point of the comma in that sentence?

Re stikfigure1's rants.. -- And yet 5 months later, she posts about Carson Daly..

"Does anyone watch his late night show? Did they ever? This guy went from crappy TRL (I remember every hot trend he would jump on - anyone remember when he dressed as a rude boy for MTV's Ska-terday?)and now he's a washed up late night talk show host. "

And then posts about Sean Combs "I hate him and everything he does is crap."

It's funny, how it's always so shocking and immature and foolish to make fun of someone THEY like, and yet it's perfectly fine for the hypocrites to do the same.

she's a chunky actress... if she couldn't deal with that, she w 1c84 ouldn't have taken the job.. or she has horrible decision making abilities. Don't tell people how to live their lives. We all know what happens the second you put yourself out there, be it the movies, TV, or internet.

I guarantee you all these people have spent their days trashing someone like Paris Hilton, Star Jones, Ann Coulter or whomever they personally dislike.. So how dare they try to tell you who to not trash.

As far as the original poster... I got about as far as the word "rediculous" before I stopped reading.

the difference is she's not sitting there saying "OH LOL THEY'RE SO UGLY WHO WOULD LET THEM ON TV" etc, etc. she's not attacking their physical appearance, she is commenting on THEIR CAREERS, their ABILITY to do what they get paid for. and yes she(allie grant) was chubby, that still doesn't change the fact that she was a KID, still is a kid. grow the hell up, all of you. how sad for you all to sit here and make fun of how a CHILD looks.

also, no one is saying "hey you're not allowed to have a negative opinion about people!" but some people take it above and beyond and like to broadcast their hate on public forums, that's crossing the line if you ask me. i'm no stranger to picking on a celebrity or two for various reasons, but do i run to imdb to post how terrible an actress or how ugly they are? no, because that's cruel and childish.

no one has the right to criticize another for a negative opinion, we ALL have them, but they do have the right to criticize you for how you choose to express it. we are entitled to our own opinions, but we are NOT entitled to being jerks.

I am fairly new to the show Weeds. I just rented the first season on dvd a couple of days ago and I am in love with it! I was just browsing through each cast member on here and came acrossed her page...wow she looks amazing! She is absolutely stunning! And I think she is a great actress! ~alyssa

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I agree. She's obviously very talented and successful, and the fact that she's larger than the average Hollywood actress doesn't take away from her ability.

Also, I'd like to note that she's still someone who would be considered thin among normal society.

Also also, I'd like to note that I appreciate her being a fellow Allie, because I was an Allie five years before she was and it's about time our spelling started gaining recognition! :)

---

"How are you gonna meet girls if you go around learning all the time?"

She is too young to judge her looks on any level. She has yet to grow into herself physically. Not that it's relevant. She is obviously a brilliant young woman, a terrific actress, and she makes me laugh. Allie is a prize.

Welcome to the world of opinions. Feel free to extend others the same courtesy.

People get bothered by the dumbest stuff. You're the same kinds of people who go out of your way to stop and ask random strangers personal questions about your ridiculous observations, like noticing someone is a certain height, or left handed, or whatever. Postings on messageboards reveal to me average movie/TV reviews don't mean anything because idiots make those judgements.

Re: Ignorant people on this board - please click
5b4
here to be enlightened.

The OP is right. The problem is, she's now too good looking to play her Suburgatory role. Once she moves onto another project, this will no longer be an issue.
I've seen two episodes this season, and it's hard to believe it's the sam 5b4 e person. Good for her - not for the show!