Kurt Vonnegut : The greatest writer?

The greatest writer?

Atleast the greatest american novelist

Re: The greatest writer?

Maybe not but he is definatley the greatest novelist of the last half of the twentieth century.

Best American writer, and best living, no question. His only possible competition is from late Brit Douglas Adams (my other hero!!)

"Rush Limbaugh is just a squeaky old shopping cart that always pulls to the right!"

Without any doubt, this guy is a real genious

Genious? Really? Nice work there me, only took 11 years to see that one.

Everything was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt!

Some people say that his writing is very similar to Tom Robbins, but I think that Vonnegut is much better.

On my top 5 list

The second best American author ever, after Kilgore Trout. Slaughterhouse 5 may be the best novel of all time. He's funny and insightful, cynical and innocent. Just shouldn't allow another film adaptation of Breakfast of Champions. But Slaughterhouse 5 adapted by Charlie Kauffman and directed by Spike Jonze? That would be awesome.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Just reread Slaughterhouse 5, DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN! It hurts me how talented this guy is.
Slaughterhouse by Kaufman and Jonze would most definately be awesome

Read Cat's Cradle. Quite simply, the guy proves he's on another level....I mean how many people can create a wholy new religion while at the same time poking fun at modern religions.

Then read Mother Night. Absolutely heart-breaking. One of the rare Vonnegut books with no science-fiction element to it.

Ah, and Slaughterhouse by Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman would be something special.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Sirens of Titan should be made by some very talented director.. Mmm..

i would exchange gondry for jonze though. eternal sunshine is much closer a template, and frankily, his adaption of kaufman easily trumps any of jonze'

Slaughterhous by Kaufman would be amazing, no question. But read some of Kaufman's ORIGINAL scripts and you'll see that Jonze is a nutter who butchers works of art (the Adaptation SCRIPT is one of the cleverest things I've ever read -- mostly it was the fantastic ending that Jonze screwed up by completely misunderstanding and rewriting). But why have you said this? Is this actually gonna happen? Because I would cringe at Jonze's take on it, when he tries to shove truckloads of 'meaning' into 2000 it because hes too dumb to find the meaning of his script.
Back to the original topic, Vonnegut is a genius. And if you want to say that he's the greatest writer of the latter half of the 20th Century, that's saying he's the greatest writer ever.
Others are Tom Robbins, who I owe my life to, and Kaufman.

Who would you suggest make a SL5 movie? Maybe Soderburg? Tarantino? Someone we haven't even heard of yet? This movie needs to be made.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TARANTINO!?!?!?! wat r u smoking!?!? i say gondry, but that just me...oh and of course, kaufman writing...

greatest LIVING writer, maybe... of all time? Well, you're gonna open a hugeass can of worms of a debate on that one (especially with English Literature scholars).
He's the kind of writer you thoroughly enjoy reading without being too literal and complex to understand; not to mention without having to read a page over again (i.e. Joyce and a ton of Russian writers). I would, on occasion, read a book and put it down and a month later pick it up again and finish it (normally having 2-3 on the go). Vonnegut would never fail me and I would continue onwards to the conclusion (usually in a relatively minimal time) and meanwhile be astonished at his creativity, humour, and imagination.
Unfortunately, we will all have to wait until he dies in order to comment and remark about his genius and ability, and futhermore rank him amongst his dead peers. That is so often the case though in regards to all the arts, now isn't it?
In conclusion, he's a f**kin' amazing writer....
later

oh yeah, I just finished reading "Slapstick" and if you haven't read it I suggest you read it for the mini-autobiography alone at the introduction. I was glad I was by my lonesome while I was reading it, otherwise everyone would have been looking at me sideways with my histarics.

Post deleted

forgetting king?

I'm in a fan of NOT making his books into movies. The damage done is bad enough.

I've read a number of Vonnegut's novels, and I must say that his books are superb artwork, that can be interpreted and used to explain our world in so many ways that the mere multifaceted-ness of his body of work is astounding in and of itself. I know of teachers who have used SL5 in their high school english classes, but also the highest intelligence "authorities" using examples from Vonnegut's work to give examples of modern day culture. It's fascinating!
Out of the books i've read (SL5, breakfast of champions, cat's cradle, deadeye dick, player piano, god bless you mr rosewater) which do you think is the best? [i'm working my way through the collection =)]

Slaughterhouse, though Cats Cradle is a close second, Timequake is my 3rd favourite of his books but then it gets very messy. I find i don't always agree with the morals that his books have, but definately agree that they reveal many truths about our world.

I couldn't read timequake; it's so boring. I think my favorite Vonnegut book I've ever read is Mother Night, which is weird because I don't usually enjoy reading or watching anything related to the Holocaust and/or the Nazis-though it's not because the subject is too painful but because I've become bored with Nazi overkill. This story strays so far from the conventional WWII novel and is more or less a character study. I want to read Sirens of Titan because most readers cite that as one of his better books. I don't understand, though, how one can say Timequake is a great book. Honestly, I quit before any sort of plot was introduced, so maybe I'm missing something great.

I recommend that you continue Timequake. It seems boring at first, but is a great book. and yes: Sirens of Titan is a great book; read that too. I've read 9 of his books. how about everyone else?

The only Vonnegut books I have not read are Jailbird and Slapstick.
But, I just bought those a few days ago.
My favorites:

1) Cat's Cradle
2) SH5
3) Breakfast of Champions
4) Bluebeard
5) Sirens of Titan
6) Welcome to the Monkey House
7) Timequake

I did not like:
Player Piano- Maybe I need to read it again.
Deadeye *ick- was ok (LOL had to edit that word)

Question to KV fans:
Which books did you NOT like?

Galopagos, I just don't think that one worked well

My favorites:
1 Sirens of Titan
2 Slaughterhouse 5
3 Bluebeard / Galapagos - TIE
5 Cat's Cradle

Not like:
Slapstick

I liked Galapagos. I can't exactly explain why, I just do. And I just didn't get into Slapstick, again no explanation, just didn't catch me.

Sirens of Titan is the best and only book I've read more than twice.

My personal favorite along with Chuck Palahniuk.
Hi ho.

I also think that Thomas Pynchon (gravities rainbow, the crying of lot 49, v, Mason Dixon) is a great writer up there with Kurt and better in technique than Palahniuk but Chuck has more style (ie lullaby and survivor). Also Flannery O'Connor, and Irvine Welsh great writers.

Post deleted

He's one of my favorite. But I don't know if I'd put him up with Steinbeck and Hemmingway. It's a different style of writing altogether, and those are the guys who defined american writing (to me at least).

He is definitely my favorite writer of all time and probably the greatest living writer today.

My favorites are:
1. Breakfast of Champions
2. Cat's Cradle (the best final paragraph a book could have)
3. Slaughterhouse-Five
4. Mother Night
5. Timequake

Am I the only person who didn't really like The Sirens of Titan that much?

Hands down my all-time favorite writer. I've read all his books, and here are his novels in order of my preference:

Cat's Cradle
Breakfast of Champions
Mother Night
Slaughterhouse-5
Sirens of Titan
Hocus Pocus
Slapstick
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Jailbird
Deadeye Dick
Timequake
Galapagos
Player Piano

And if you like Vonnegut, I would 5b4 also recommend: William Burroughs, J. G. Ballard, Philip K. Dick, Harlan Ellison, Douglas Adams, Joseph Heller, Thomas Pynchon, Tom Robbins, and Will Self.

I don't want some renegade necrophile princess as MY roommate!

Hell Yeah. I was just rereading his stuff again. It doesn't get an better

I would say that not only was Vonnegut the best American writer of the 20th century (followed closely by John Updike), but that Breakfast of Champions was the greatest American novel, ever. And this is a lofty title to bestow upon any book, but when it comes to communicability, relatability, humanity, theme, approach, characters, everything...I would say that if you gave Breakfast of Champions to an alien race that could read English as a primer to what America was/is and what people in America were/are and how all of it fits into each other, that it would be the best primer you could give an alien species to understand what Earth is like and how Life is on it.
I worship KV's stuff, of course, and his direct, plain-spoken style captured my imagination and split my brain open when I was a teenager and hasn't let up since. And BOC just made the world, if not America, a much more understandable place to exist in for me.

"Keep Ted Turner and his goddamned Crayolas away from my movie." - Orson Welles.

I don't know if Vonnegut is the best American writer ever. Even of the century. He's got some stiff competition. Philip K. Dick, Don Delilo, Ernest Hemingway, Chuck Palahniuk, Will Christopher Baer. They are all great writers. That's not to take away from Vonnegut, because, quite simply, the dude is a genius. But the best? I don't know.

Chuck Palahniuk among the greatest American writers? Christ... Dan Brown make your list too?

Where's the love for Faulkner, by the way?

"Chuck Palahniuk among the greatest American writers? Christ... Dan Brown make your list too?

Where's the love for Faulkner, by the way?
"
I have to agree with the sentiment in both of those statements.

1. Palahniuk and Dan Brown are both fun and refreshing every so often, but they certainly aren't among the greatest.

2. Faulker kicks ass.

In any event, I'd say Vonnegut is certainly "up there" for the 20th century. I'd rank him just as highly as Orwell, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, or Faulkner, who complete the list of the five greatest writers o 7ec ver the past 100 years.

I personally pr 2000 efer Robert A. Heinlein over Vonnegut, but just a little bit.

When I'm not reading Vonnegut I tend to think he's not the greatest, but whenever I am reading him, then theres no comparison

Post deleted