Beyoncé : Madonna's talent as a songwriter

Madonna's talent as a songwriter

Why do Madonna fans criticise Gaga, Katy and Britney for using so many songwriters and producers? Do they not realise how many people worked on Madonna's last four albums? MDNA and Rebel Heart have songs on them that were written by eight people. There isn't a single song that has less than three songwriters credited to writing it. Why does it take so many people to write such bland, generic crap?

Madonna hasn't written the lyrics to a song by herself since 1985, that's a long time for someone who is supposed to be such an amazing songwriter. She has written precisely seven songs by herself in 34 years, they are:

Lucky Star
Burning Up
Gambler
I Know It
Think of Me
Everybody
Shoo-Bee-Doo

Her songwriting talent is limited. She wouldn't have had such a successful career had her record label not insisted on surrounding her with top notch talent since her second album.

She doesn't have what it takes to self-pen a classic pop song by herself, yet her fans act like she writes and produces everything herself. She isn't Kate Bush, Prince, Joni Mitchell or Bjork. Prince had talent in spades. He wrote and produced nearly everything himself. He also played dozens of instruments. Even Michael Jackson self-penned the lyrics to a lot of his biggest hits.

It's ridiculous how Madonna's fans claim she does most of the work while the world-renowned songwriters she works with only add bits and pieces, lol. I'm surprised that after four decades she hasn't gained enough skill to do something by herself.

If the industry ever inducts her into the Songwriter Hall of Fame (wasn't she up for it last year?) I hope they also include all the other writers who have worked with her. They have played a huge part in her success and longevity.

Re: Madonna's talent as a songwriter

She didn't even self-pen any songs on the "deeply personal" Ray of Light.

Why are you so obsessed with her? You're PATHETIC.

She's wrote many songs with one writing partner. She's a good songwriter, you can't deny that. Not everyone is a Prince or Joni...even Carole King co-wrote a lot of her most famous songs and she's one of the most celebrated songwriters in history. Elton 2000 John only writes his music, none of the lyrics.

She's obviously better songwriter than most of the next generations but that Rolling Stone article that listed the best songwriters putting Madonna way above someone like Marvin Gaye is laughable. Sure Marvin had plenty of collaborators in his career like Madonna, but does Madonna have a song/album in her discography like Trouble Man?

The other thing is when people keep bringing up big stars that don't write their own songs they highlight Britney Spears but Beyonce should be at the top of the list. She may be a legend but she's a performing legend who hasn't even shown more talent as a songwriter than the "talentless" Britney Spears.

There’s never been much evidence that Spears has much to offer as a songwriter...As we’ve also learned from Beyoncé, a pop performers having a songwriting credit doesn't necessarily mean much

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/12/the-inevitable-boringness-of-a-personal-britney-spears-album/281933/

But if Spears did not compose Everytime, considered by many one of the best pop ballads of the new century, did co lyracist Annet Artani?

Here's the problem with that attempt to dismiss Spears: Someday (I Will Understand) and Annet Atarni's lack of songwriting (ballads) in her own discography, unlike say the professional collaborators of Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry and Adele who have a long history of writing/producing.

The other thing is when people keep bringing up big stars that don't write their own songs they highlight Britney Spears but Beyonce should be at the top of the list

Beyonce has won awards for songwriting and was writing all of her own hits during her DC days. She's a better songwriter than Britney

But if Spears did not compose Everytime, considered by many one of the best pop ballads of the new century

By whom?

Beyonce has won awards for songwriting and was writing all of her own hits during her DC days. She's a better songwriter than Britney

What songs did Beyonce win songwriting awards for? Songs that had multiple established songwriters on her record?

some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are. but everyone knows the real truth even Beyoncé. She is talented but in a completely different way

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/linda-perry-comments-on-beyonces-songwriting.html

Most of, if not all of those Destiny's Child songs were written by other people:

In the Vanity Fair article, Beyonce also claims to have “written” seven number one songs. Again, not exactly. Her name is on them all. But “Independent Woman, Pt. 1” was authored by Samuel J. Barnes and Jean Claude Olivier, tweaked by producer Cory Rooney, and added to by…Beyonce. Olivier and Barnes also worked on constructing Jennifer Lopez’s “Jenny from the Block.”

“Say My Name,” a big Destiny’s Child hit, was written by Rodney Jerkins, his brother Freddie, and Rodney’s writing partner LeShawn Danie b68 ls. The names of the four girls from the group were added again, so they could share in the collection of royalties.

There’s more: "Baby Boy" was based on a hit by reggae star Ini Kamoze called "Here Comes the Hot Stepper." "Naughty Girl" is merely a hefty sample of Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder’s "Love to Love You Baby." "Bills Bills Bills" was written by singer/songwriter Kandi Burruss and producer Kevin Briggs. "Nasty Girl" and "Survivor" were the work of composer/producer Anthony Dent, who had to share credit with not only Beyonce but also her father, Matthew Knowles. "Bootylicious" is simply Stevie Nicks’s "Edge of Seventeen." Nicks, following Sting’s lead from years ago with Puff Daddy/Diddy’s sample of "Every Breath You Take," did not allow Destiny’s Child or Beyonce to get any royalties at all. Rock on, Stevie!

http://prince.org/msg/8/164291

What I'll say is that Beyonce is a better lyricist than Britney Spears but that does not make her a better songwriter.

By whom?

This British-based website conducted a poll of the pop ballads of the 21st Century and this is what they came up with:
http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a796521/the-results-are-in-the-biggest-pop-ballad-of-the-21st-century-is/

I mean, Cry Me a River is more officially acclaimed than Everytime, but two other people who have a strong songwriting history co-wrote Cry Me a River with Timberlake, unlike Everytime

Who cares how many songwriters she's had on her recent albums? She's clearly past her creative prime anyway. Most of her most acclaimed albums only have one other writer listed and there is nothing wrong with collaborating. Dumbass thread.

Miley-Virus, Calm down silly F@ggot...Madonna got you all worked up huh.

I agree