Beyoncé : Madonna's lack of Grammy nominations in the '80s…

Madonna's lack of Grammy nominations in the '80s…

Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female

Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television

That's it, lol. Why no nominations for Best New Artist, Song, Album or Record of the Year? She had to wait until the late 1990s to get nominations for Album and Record of the Year.

She has never won a Grammy in any of the four major categories. A nomination for Song of the Year (awarded for lyrics and melody) has always eluded her. ROL is her only album nominated for Album of the Year.

Her contemporaries:

Michael Jackson

Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - Won
Best Disco Recording

Album of the Year - Won
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male - Won
Record of the Year - Won
Nominated
Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male - Won
Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group
Song of the Year
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - Won
Best Rhythm & Blue Song - Won
Best Rhythm & Blue Song
Best Recording for Children - Won
Producer of the Year, Non-Classical - Won

Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group
Best Video Album - Won

Song of the Year - Won

Album of the Year
Producer of the Year, Non-Classical
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male

Record of the Year

Whitney Houston

Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female - Won
Album of the Year
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female

Record of the Year - Nominated

Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female - Won
Album of the Year
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female

NOTE: Whitney won Album and Record of the Year in 1994.

Prince

Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male

Album of the Year
Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal - Won
Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or a Television Special - Won
Best Rhythm & Blues Song - Won

Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal - Won
Best Rhythm & Blues Song

Album of the Year
Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal
Best Rhythm & Blues Song

Cyndi Lauper

Best New Artist - Won
Album of the Year
Song of the Year
Record of the Year
Nominated

Best Female Rock Vocal Performance

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Best Female Rock Vocal Performance

Best Performance Music Video

Re: Madonna's lack of Grammy nominations in the '80s…

You're a sad, pathetic troll, catchingatiger/miles virus/philoakey.

Lol and yet she has outlasted them all.

What are awards good for, none of these people went on to have a career as interesting as Madonna with hits, success and record breaking world tours well into the 00s even though they all tried. And bitch is still alive which is more important than any Grammy. Bunch of drug addicts...

Previously known as college dropout kid.

at Madonna having a more interesting career than Prince (who also wasn't a drug addict, despite his accidental overdose).

Also, some basic math for you...Madonna hasn't outlasted MJ or Prince's careers yet. They were active longer than her (a lot longer in MJ's case) despite their untimely deaths.

Madonna by far has a more interesting career than Prince. I get he's your fave but no need to be delusional.

XO

Anybody that doubts Madonna's success and impact in 2017 is a complete idiot. You don't have to be a Madonna stan to know that.

She was snubbed because of Cyndi, they were all about Cyndi and to be fair before True Blue she didn't deserve IMO, she got better later, i do think she should have gotten for Evita, True Blue, but i understand not getting for the rest.

"I feel you, pretty baby, feel me
Turn it up hot, lovin' you is free"

Grammys are all political anyway. Why else would Beyonce have more than all the other divas combined?

Beyonce and Taylor Swift have more Grammy's than Mariah. Means nothing.

^

The Grammy Awards were respected in the 1980s.

Like it or not it's the biggest award ceremony in the music industry in the US. Madonna's lack of nominations in the 1980s speaks volumes. People didn't respect her back then, certainly not as much as MJ, Whitney and Prince.

They've always been a joke and more about ratings than artistic merit. Prince didn't win nearly as many as he should have. He lost out on AOTY for Purple Rain and Sign O The Times to Lionel Richie and U2, Tracy Chapman lost to George Michael etc.

Not only Prince but also David Bowie. The Grammy's have been a joke for decades.

Like it or not it's the biggest award ceremony in the music industry in the US. Madonna's lack of nominations in the 1980s speaks volumes. People didn't respect her back then, certainly not as much as MJ, Whitney and Prince.

I am sure Madonna is pretty content being where she is now than where the other three are.

Compared to Michael Jackson, Prince and Whitney Houston, Madonna is a deeply untalented musical artist.

But she's far more clever (rather than creative) than any of them and a supreme marketer.

Agree

Madonna was never a great vocalist, she's a good songwriter and a great marketer, but has little creativity(many things she took from others, Bowie and Cher paved the way for her).

She was really clever, she marketed herself the right way.

Although i wouldn't put Whitney on the same league as Prince and MJ, they were the best in at least 2 areas, Whitney was a great singer, but that's it, didn't wrote anything and lost her voice this decade due to drugs.

"I feel you, pretty baby, feel me
Turn it up hot, lovin' you is free"

Re: Agree

Although i wouldn't put Whitney on the same league as Prince and MJ, they were the best in at least 2 areas, Whitney was a great singer, but that's it, didn't wrote anything and lost her voice this decade due to drugs.

Whitney is in no way the artist that Prince, Michael Jackson, or even Madonna were. But she was one of the 4 biggest solo stars of that era and had natural talent in one area that can match Prince or Michael Jackson.

Madonna has none. She is a mediocre songwriter compared to Prince, a mediocre 5b4 dancer compared to Michael Jackson and a mediocre singer compared to Whitney Houston.

And she's not a real producer either like Beyonce is not, but rather the actual producers who create their music. Although Madonna is a good lyricist I'm not sure she has solely written a song playing an instrument, similar to the fact that Beyonce hasn't.

If you were to watch the best performances of those four from their peak years, Madonna looks by far the worst and the least talented and would have the performances that have held up the worst, but I'll give her a lot of credit for being clever and a supreme marketer.

She's unoriginal and has been copying everyone her entire career. Shes not that talented which is why she has so few Grammys

Tina Turner

Album of the Year
Record of the Year - Won
Best Female Pop Vocal Performance - Won
Better Be Good to Me Best Female Rock Vocal Performance - Won
Let's Stay Together Best Female R&B Vocal Performance

Best Short From Music Video
Best Female Rock Vocal Performance - Won
Best Long Form Music Video

Bump

Bumped for Gf6

How many usernames do you have Phil?

Even Janet Jackson was nominated for Album of the Year in the 1980s, lol.