The Secret Life of Walter Mitty : WTF are crtics thinking

WTF are crtics thinking

Ok I am starting to think critics are big phonies. This was one of the bet films I have seen this year and it gets a 48% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Honestly i think critics are being paid by movie companies to praise their film and then when they review other films they put it down. This movie was shot beautifully and had great acting and great directing. If films like Forrest Gump and American Hustle are are in the 90 percent range why is this not.
The secret life of walter mitty is on my best movies of 2013 list.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: WTF are crtiics thinking

Product placement? What you mean Life magazine and Papa John's? Is that really a big deal to you? Because I'm not about to start eating Papa John's just because I saw it in a movie. And good for Life Magazine for getting some credit in a movie.

LIFE, Papa John's, E-Harmony, Cinnabon, Careerbuilder. Did I miss anything? And it wasn't like they were just in the film, they actually talked about the product. It was uncomfortable.

HaHaHaHa, YES you DID miss something. LIFE magazine has not existed as such since the year 2000!!!!!

What a dumb post .... !!!!!!

Papa John was commented on as 'I had to get out of the place because of the beakers', eHarmony 'couldn't afford the 500 $ annual membership', Cinnabun 'good ... (not really)'

What the hell is Careerbuilder???? and who cares, anyway?

I do think you missed A LOT!

Books had instant replay long before televised sports. B. Williams

You could be one of the reasons I would still keep participating in these forums. Seriously, people just jump out any opportunity to be seen as "wise" and "cerebral"

This was a well-made movie with some very good scenes and with it's own share of issues like many others. Overall, quite enjoyable soundtracks, I liked the casting of Sean Penn and Patton Oswalt and also loved the photography, and the climax... :)

I am amused one guy above even laments about American movie viewers dwindling sense of judgment of good movies based on their liking for this movie, which to him did not hold much value. Fair enough. But if its because of product placements, I find it very lame.

I wouldn't care if they are product placements or ads. Why is everybody so particular about only fictitious brands in movies? Because they are anti-corporate? Are they all working for Greenpeace? I am sorry I find it hard to believe they are being 100% honest here.

Offenes - it is possible to reply to someone's post with your argument without stooping to negative personal comments about another poster. That's just rude and shows your lack of maturity.

Dude, don't be an A-hole. I'm sure you can respond back by a more mature way.

----

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

It reminded me of the Blade Trinity scene when the chick is loading up music on her ipod before a big fight. My respect for the director hit an all-time low when I saw that.

WTF was she supposed to load music on - a rock? LOL

Serious question: Do you not know that there are other music players than ipods?

That's the most you'll ever get out of me Wordman. Ever. -Eddie Wilson

Of course.

Would it somehow have been better if the music was being loaded onto a Zune, or a Sansa MP3 player, or a Samsung smartphone?

Honestly, I was just making sure, but toward your question...the point is that it wasn't some lesser brand, it was the brand that already dominates the market. Which is to say, it's the brand that has the dollar-power to place their product in a high-profile hollywood film.

There's nothing wrong with it, but let's try to see it for what it is.

Note: Someone here mentioned that they're not going to buy a product just because it appears in a film, implying that this sort of advertising is ineffective. Very naive.

Of course, one way to think about it is, it's more realistic (statistically) to have a person in a film using the dominant product than a lesser-known product.

Honestly, I'd feel it was even MORE of a product placement if it had been a Zune instead of an iPod.

Ok, but we can agree that it in fact IS advertising, right?

Probably, but if they wanted a scene where they showed a character loading music, they had to use SOMETHING. :-)

Post deleted

Post deleted

so your beef with this is the fact that they are advertising Ipods and not a lesser-brand? Either way, like you said, it will be advertising. So why bash the movie because they went with the brand that would give them the most profit? Cuz either way, the viewer would be subjected to some form of advertising no matter which route they chose. I mean it is a business after all so the most profit route sounds like a common sense choice does it not? The fact that they went with ipods vs a lesser-brand (more profit vs less for the movie-makers) does not detract any points from the movie's story at hand. I think we are all just complaining for the sake of complaining. There should be nothing wrong with product placement unless it detracts from a movie's story.

Also just step outside and you will see more advertising in the real world then any movie. I don't see anyone complaining about product placement in the city but the moment it's put in a movie people cry that it's unrealistic! Oh the irony! :)

I'll be honest with you, I think there's an element of prostitution in this sort of advertising--and perhaps in all advertising. Exploitation has become so commonplace in our world that we fail to recognize it any longer. When someone holds up an ipod, we see only the status that it will bring us--not cutthroat business ethics and underpaid Chinese assemblers. We glorify the very things that are holding us back as a society. That's my biggest beef.

I should have warned you not to get me on a rant. BTW, how did you know I had a complaint based on what I'd written?

I mean it is a business after all so the most profit route sounds like a common sense choice does it not?

No, it doesn't. Then again, I'm a severely failed capitalist. You, however, might be okay.

Someone here mentioned that they're not going to buy a product just because it appears in a film, implying that this sort of advertising is ineffective. Very naive.
What DJMykee wrote was:

I'm not about to start eating Papa John's just because I saw it in a movie.
I understood this as advertising not succeeding in changing someone's mind, rather than naiveté.

For instance- I don't enjoy Papa John's drywall-flavored 'pizza', nor the greedy politics of their dickweed owner John Schnatter, so I will never consume their gut-wrenching dreck no matter how much I see it advertised.

(This is only an example, and any suggestion 
that Papa John's Crap-tastic Pizza is ACTUAL 
Shat-Food is purely intentional.)

For instance- I don't enjoy Papa John's drywall-flavored 'pizza', nor the greedy politics of their dickweed owner John Schnatter, so I will never consume their gut-wrenching dreck no matter how much I see it advertised.

Ok, but you have superseding ethical reasons to aid your resistance to advertising (or at least to Papa Johns' advertising). Someone without such conviction is likely to be sucked in--that's why they call it advertising.

Me, I'm just a cheap bastard, that's what keeps my resistance up.

I think its quite overconfident of yourself to call someone "naive" based on their comment about product placement being less effective.

To me, it only makes a relevant point here - that this is a futile discussion. Most people don't care about the product placement in movies. If you want to talk about its effectiveness, let's take it elsewhere (a different post, a different website if you care)

I really don't. I think everything we need to know about product placement can be found in The Truman Show.

she definitely should have been listening to a cowon. would have made more sense then.

I would have preferred a Sony Walkman Cassette player, but I think the point was that the idea of creating a playlist for fighting is dumb. Anyone who would do that would probably get their skull crushed. It's just a little "too cool" to be taken seriously.

Movies are expensive to make so sometimes product placement is a necessary evil. They had a choice to a) get EHarmony to give them some money or b) take no money and create a fictional online dating site. Option A seems just fine to me. Also - I consider myself someone who can appreciate depth and the art of film making as a whole. And as a whole, I'd say that I think this movie was pretty fantastic. For some people "a feel good movie" is a bad thing. Not for me I guess. If I ever get a chance to meet Ben Stiller, I'd be happy to tell him that I think he made something he should be very proud of.

Tarantino has much bigger budgets, and he doesn't place products.

The reason?: He can afford to forego product placement because (duh) he makes better movies. These movies do well initially, and also stand the test of time, and so continue to make money in the long run. This is very different from a flick like Mitty.

So this puts the lie to your rather weird assertion that (sometimes) PP is a "necessary" evil. All that's actually necessary is to avoid making a movie that's so artless it verges on evil, itself. I have no idea why Stiller wasn't able to assemble the needed talent to treat the story premise with art and taste. I guess the fact that the "Hollywood system" is willing to kick even someone like Stiller to the curb (by saddling him with 2nd-rate production talent) should tell us something.

In short, some folks figure out how to game a flawed, marketing-driven Hollywood system to wring something artful out of it. Some folks mean well, but obviously fail to figure that out. Stiller (sadly) has fallen into that latter camp.

--
And I'd like that. But that 5h1t ain't the truth. --Jules Winnfield

They talk about McDonald's and Burger King in pulp fiction

This film was excellent, not a masterpiece by any means, why can't you stop being so hateful on the fact that non-art films can still be good. Don't get me wrong, I loved Her, 12 Years a Slave, Nebraska, and all those other more meaningful films, but Walter Mitty was a great film to relax and not do much thinking. It's one to throw on the tv while your working on something. Why does it have to be so full of depth. I feel it's rated perfectly at a 7.5. That's 3/4 stars in most critics books. Relax on hating films, and realize some films are more for your entertainment, rather then blowing your mind. This film was strictly for inspiration and feeling good. I didn't go in expecting a comedy masterpiece like Dr. Strangelove, I went in expecting a Ben Stiller film and then got more than expected. I'd love to see these type of films get good attention from the shallow minded, over Transformers and Fast and Furious. I'm sorry for the rant, but it didn't need to prove anything more than it did, I enjoyed the visuals and editing. I was quite entertained throughout.

Excellent? I think posters throw words like excellent and best and awesome around too much.

Human Rights: Know Them, Demand Them, Defend Them

A movie showing stuff that's actually in real life? WHAT?!

You *beep* are so *beep* annoying and boring.

Fake products: people bitch everything is faked or hidden
real products: people bitch everything is advertising

THESE PRODUCTS EXIST IN REAL LIFE, TO MAKE MOVIES REALISTIC YOU'RE GOING TO GET REAL PRODUCTS.

you're an *beep*

Post deleted

You were uncomfortable because of all the free ads? Have you ever used Pandora? When you use IMDB (which btw is free) do the adds that flash on the screen make you uncomfortable?

Follow me on twitter @sydsmoviepicks

Oh my God he ate a cinnabon at an airport one scene and made 1 comment about it, it must be a horrible movie

What about e-Harmony? I mean that actually had no purpose or reason to be in the film at all. Take that out and the film wouldn't have changed one bit.

--
Biomech

Post deleted

Um, yeah... the entire sub-plot involving him and the e-harmony rep who eventually got him out of airport jail would never have happened.

Did you not see the movie or...?

Product placement? Christ, I think I saw some FORD motor cars in "The Grapes of Wrath." K-Mart was mentioned in "Rain Man." Everlast apparel was apparent in "Rocky," Smith and Wesson guns in "Death Wish."

"Radio Flyer" in "Radio Flyer."

United Airlines in "Flight 93."

Don't worry about the opinion of the sheep.

It's the nitpickers' loss man. Let them not find happiness in watching this movie.

Not that I'm suggesting it be given an oscar, but YES INDEED, I got my worth of the 2 hours I spend on this movie.

Also, in my opinion, the critics watch the movies as a part of their job, rather than with fresh open minds which most of the movie goers watch them with. They're bound to find faults and sing songs about them.

What others think, should not matter. What truly should matter is, if the precious minutes of your lives we spent watching a movie were not wasted and made us happy.

Yvaine: Let's see if you can work it out for youself. What do stars do?

I am Australian not American and I loved this movie.

I'm Irish not American and I loved this movie too.

Post deleted

That made me think, wouldn't it be great if there were a new zoolander!!!

I'm Canadian, and *beep* this movie.

You forgot to say sorry. HA!

I'm Swiss not American and i loved the movie too.

Much better than expected. Very touching. Deeper than one would think at first glance and unlike what other poster suggested, i think the movie is a big *beep* at the current industrial and consumerist ideologies we all live by, some kind of ode to life, freedom, idealism and anti-materialist consideration of the world. And it really worked for me.

Gave it 8/10.

People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefsjump4.gif

I'm English, not American, and I liked this film too. 3 out of 4 stars.

I'm Greek not American and I really liked this movie too.