Nick Broomfield : Awful

Awful

This guy makes awful documentaries. Just watched his film on Aileen Wournos and biggie and tupac which consisted of him running coast to coast like a chicken with his head cut off interviewing random criminals who alleged they knew something about biggie's murder. He has zero direction or even the slightest idea of where he is going at any time with his films.

Re: Awful

Oh come on- his footage of him traipsing down hallways and filming his crew buying sodas is dazzeling! I also love the shots of "driving down road" on the way to interview someone. Great stuff.

You have to see "Kurt and Courtney". Nick and crew go into the Seattle lottery office- because when Kurt was a kid he used to shot a be-be gun at the place. They promptly kick him out. it's really funny. I mean- what was he going to get on film? Some guy saying a be-be whizzed by 8 years ago?? LOL

I think the crown jewel of his work is "Tracking Down Maggie" about Lady Margaret Thatcher. NOTHING happens the entire film. He's reduced to filming Thatcher from a long distance going to get her hair done and filming her body guards. There is even a women walking her dogs outside Thatchers hotel- Nick suspects these are Thatchers dogs and the poor women is filmed walking her own dogs.

I totally agree with the original poster. I've seen so many of his documentaries, and he is probably the worst documentary director I've ever seen, which is surprising considering how famous he is. His films are all over the place and often seem to focus solely on him, rather than the subject he is supposed to be covering. I just sat through Fetishes and at the end, and I'd say it's mostly a movie about a fetish business and its clients, and how they react to him being there. Maybe Nick just needs to make a documentary about himself and get it over with.

I love how he goes to interview someone, then ends up filming their pets or a baby. He went to interview a friend of Aileen Wournos and ended up filming the guys parakeets!! Then he went to another house, and some lady visiting got into the film with her baby. Neither had anything to do with anything.

I also love how if he doesn't get the answer he wants from a question, he'll just keep asking it 10 different ways and badgering the person until they cave in.

The people he interviewed in Kurt & Courtney were hilarious. Half of them were almost nodded out on completely heroin. If they had keeled over and died I wouldn't have been shocked. One women Nick had to feed coffee until she was understandable and the other took 20 minutes to answer a question.

Here's the thing;
I like the topics that he does his documentaries on but, as one person on here has put it, he likes the sound of his own voice. I remember in Kurt&Courtney there was literally, literally, a 10 minute segment on him up on stage slamming Love, which really served no purpose whatsoever to the actual subject. So yes, I agree with you.

I loved how he finally gets on stage- it's his big moment to confront Courtney.

and the camera man has a panic attack and there's 5 minutes of shaking footage that a Pakinsons patient could have filmed better.

Then they track down Courtney to a dressing roomthey are getting ready to confront her.

and the film runs out because he had to film his crew buying sodas.

His movies are just one big mess. I love how hes in and out of shots with his 1970's head phones and camera pack. LOL Perhaps he should do comedy instead of docs.

when he is the prsion and the warden is talking knight and he walks up to them and the warden tells him to go away
and he leaves with a sad look on his face

this is what she felt OPIE

He gets kicked out of more places than he gets into. [laughs]

During one of his docs he didn't get into a single place. it's just him filming the outside of peoples houses and buildings.

Crazy.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I agree and was so shocked to find such positive reviews and high ratings for this as*clown. Worst.filmmaker.ever.

He is truly terrible.

I don't know what he's going for, but he just walks in on people with a camera crew. Rudely I might add. There is no finess or subtlety. There is no editing! We see the most banal things!

He walked up to a guy in the first AW doc who had just set himself off next a "bomb." The director just walks up and says

"So.you knew Lee?"

Bomb Guy: "Can I have a minute, man? I'm really, ya know, dizzy."

Good grief. It was agony to see how inept he was. Kurt and Courtney was bad too.

That's his schtick. He knows exactly what he's doing. He stumbles in, in his "oh so" bumbling "lost British guy"persona, without any introduction before they can tell him no. Before you know it, he's inside, and asking you questions. This is far more planned, and manipulated than anyone gives him credit for.

He has zero direction or even the slightest idea of where he is going at any time with his films.

His films are 50% 'documentary', 50% his effort to make said documentary. Biggie & Tupac is his most interesting effort, IMO. It takes some balls, at least, to "traipse" around those neighborhoods and folk. I don't know you can say there's no compelling stuff there. Biggie's bodyguard identifying one of the suspects; the lawyer in prison who says he transferred money for the hit on Biggie. It's hardly a vacuum.

___
There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Yeah, he's very annoying. Hate how he narrates and his docs are more conspiracy theories than completely factual. I will say this: Nick Broomfield has balls the size of Jupiter.

I've only seen two of his documentaries, Kurt and Courtney and Biggie and 2Pac, and they are awful enough to come to the conclusion he's an awful filmaker.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.