Nick Broomfield : What's your fave of his docs?

What's your fave of his docs?

I have seen most of them and I am slowly getting through the ones I haven't seen at the moment but I would have to say that my favourite is either Soldier Girls (for it's style) or The Leader, His Driver and his drivers wife (for sheer enjoyment). What about you??
I didn't enjoy his big white self as much as the leader mainly because it wasn't going anywhere new and just wasn't as well madeI think it was one of Broomfields ego pieces after the success of his earlier works.

Re: What's your fave of his docs?

I think Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer is the best I have seen up to this point. It just shows how people profit on tradegy. its powerfull and tragic.

I like his follow-up LIFE AND DEATH OF A SERIAL KILLER (I haven't seen SELLING yet) for its incredible sequences of Aileen giving full vent to the camera. A sympathetic view of a very tragic character, and also instructive as to why Charlize Theron deserved her Oscar.

I also love HEIDI FLEISS, mainly because Heidi (and those in her orbit) emerged as such an unexpectedly fascinating characters.

Robert Altman
1925-2006
RIP

I agree with dirring ~ I like the Aileen Wuornos documentary the best. The fact that they kill the woman at the end to me gives it the scope of an epic ~ it is just so intense.

I wish I had better words to express how the documentary made me feel and how it managed to change some of my perceptions in under two hours. I felt like I was getting a raw look at these people ~ instability, avarice, self-deception and all. I say raw because the way the people interacted with each other was just brutal. At the same time there was an eloquence in how skillfully presented it was ~ I think he accurately captured the nuances of some very complex people none of whom necessarily seemed to present themselves with any honesty ~ what a difficult task that was even for the most insightful kind of person! Nick Broomfield's style is so distinct in that regard. He takes messy situations and pares them down to their disturbing base elements. His stuff always sticks in my head maybe because his reality is honest to the point of being almost naive ~ for want of a better word.

-
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."

His stuff always sticks in my head maybe because his reality is honest to the point of being almost naive ~ for want of a better word.

Interesting post and comment. I know what you're saying, but I think rather than naivety, Broomfield shows a complete and utter lack of judgement towards the people he is profiling he takes his subjects completely at face value, which is what I think you're getting at by describing his style as naive. This approach can be problematic to some viewers especially for those who believe 'A serial killer is a serial killer is a serial killer.' Ultimately, it is a masterful way to approach tricky subjects, by laying it out there and asking your audience to do a bit of heavy lifting.

Robert Altman
1925-2006
RIP

I think a large part of his style is to make himself a large part of the documentary. It seems to be a popular way to do it Louis Theroux, Morgan Spurlock and Michael Moore to name but a few. I think Broomfield is a bit more arogant and self important than those guys though!

- We are all entitled to our own oppinions.This is mine. -

Nowhere near as much as Moore!!

His Aileen Wuornos documentaries and Kurt and Courtney are all excellent. Whenever people talk about the daring of Michael Moore's guerrilla-style I point them to Kurt and Courtney and let them know that Moore would never have the cojones to call out Courtney Love at an ACLU ceremony honoring her. That being said, some of Broomfield's documentaries are quite sloppy and poorly researched. Both his Heidi Fleiss and Tupac & Biggie documentaries could have been much, much better had he taken the time to plan them better.

Sarah Pal5b4in, but maybe that's because it's fresh in my mind. I love them all though.