Nick Adams : RIP Daddy

RIP Daddy

Today is the 45th anniversary of Nick Adams' death. He did more in 36 years than most people ever will in Hollywood. The Rebel rides again on ME-TV Saturday mornings at 11 and the book he wrote about Elvis Presley, The Rebel & The King, has been published. He made his dreams come true with hard work. Nothing lasts forever. He was after all, only human.

Re: RIP Daddy

Your dad was one of my favorite actors Alison. I think I met you and your brother a few years ago in Hollywood for a screening of '' Invasion of Astro Monster''. I wish Nick was with us. The stories he could of told us would be amazing. RIP Nick, We miss u...

Thank you very much. We miss him to. That's why I published The Rebel and the King. He wrote many stories but the best ones were yet to come for sure.

My brother was at that event, but I was not. We might have a reading or event at Larry Edmunds Bookshop sometime in the future. I will let you know.

Kirk Douglas thought very well of him as he wrote in his auto-biography. He was shocked when Nick died.
They performed together in The Hook from 1963

He was a favorite of mine as well, I have a number of his films, "The Hook", "Rebel Without A Cause", "Fever Heat", "Frankenstein Conquers The World" and others on DVD. I watch "The Rebel" on ME-TV on the weekend. May he rest in peace.

Dear Allyson,

I'm very sorry that your dad passed away so young. I know how that feels, I had just turned 7 when my dad was killed in a plane crash, he was 35.

My favorite role of your dad's was in No Time For Sergeants. He was truly gifted and talented, and I'm sure you inherited his gifts.

They say that the stars who shine the brightest only burn for half as long. That makes them extra special and loved all the more.

Bless you and your brother. Honor him in every way that you can. True talents like his are very rare in Hollywood.

Dave Lyons
Va

I know of Nick Adams primarily from his co-starring role in MISSION MARS. I loved his acting. There was something boyish and charming about his role, how he managed to be thoroughly professional yet not take himself too seriously and still be able to grin and joke with his colleagues. His character's movie death really saddened me because it looked to be an act of self-sacrifice but the movie did a poor job of explaining it.
I was surprised and saddened to learn Nick Adams had passed away shortly after the filming of MISSION MARS, before it was even released. MISSION MARS was a decent sci-fi movie for its time period and so it's not fair to judge it by today's high-budget, high-tech special effects. As far as I know, Mission Mars was not successful yet neither an outright failure at the theater box office, somewhere in-between. I own the dvd copy and from time to time watch it because it evokes childhood memories when things were simpler.

On 5b4 e of my friends' fathers went to high school with Mr. Adams and he said that Mr. Adams was a great guy.

I thought that Mr. Adams was a superb actor, in such films as "Hell is for Heroes," "The FBI Story," and "No Time for Sergeants," and in his many television apperances on shows such as "Combat" and "The Outer Limits."

I did not know that Mr. Adams was a fellow graduate of Saint Peter's College (now Saint Peter's University) or that Mr. Adams had been a bat boy for the then-New York Giants' Triple A team, the Jersey City Giants, at the old Roosevelt Stadium. Many years ago, my late father had also been a bat boy for the AAA Jersey City Giants when Mel Ott and Bill Terry were playing for the Giants. (It really is a small world.)

Requiem aeternam, Mr. Adams.

I'm glad that new generations get to discover these great actors and shows on channels like MeTV. Gene Barry on Bat Masterson, Gene and 1c84 Nick on Burke's Law etc.

Yes, I am a member of the "new generation" and I love the shows on ME-TV. "The Rebel" is my favorite. Nick Adams was a very intense actor. I also bought "The Rebel and the King" and I found it to be fascinating. Thank you, Allyson Adams, for getting Nick's writings published!

Sorry for your loss, Allyson.

I had never seen "The Rebel" before catching it on METV so I am a 'new' fan of Nick Adams, too. I look forward to watching the whole series because the stories are so interesting, complex and earnest. Nick was a terrific, energetic actor that we lost far too early.

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Rest in peace Mr Adams ..

When I was maybe 8 I first saw his movie Die Monster Die, m 7ec uch later in life I decided to find out the title of the movie, I didn't remember much about the film or any of the cast members except your father, even to a kid he came across as having a lot of screen presence. The movie now has become one of my favorite sci-fi horrors, although watching it and seeing your father brings with it a slight tinge of sadness, now knowing that he died not long afterwards, and so young.

I plan to read The Rebel and the King when I get a chance, but do you plan to write a biography about him and his whole life? I can see his films and learn about Nick the actor, and perhaps through your current book a lot about him and his friendship with Elvis, but I'd love to know more about Nick the person too.

Nick Adams is easily one of my favourite actors. I was blown away by his performances in the series "Saints and sinners".

I don't know about all this Nick was bisexual and James Dean's lover stuff. It doesn't really matter to me, but I do believe we should try to be fair and truthful about people (even long dead ones)and their sexuality is all part of that. It's perfectly possible to be very close friends with a man and not to be his sexual partner at the same time (I'm far from convinced that Dean himself was really bisexual, rather than just a young actor who opportunistically gave himself to homosexuals in showbiz such as Rogers Brackett, who could help his career).

Nick Adams was a fine actor that seldom got the roles he deserved. My particular favorite was his part in No Time for Sergeants. It takes tremendous skill to hold your own next to Andy Griffith, another underappreciated actor that should have done more work like A Face in the Crowd and No Time for Sergeants. I always thought that Nick would have been great in A Face in the Crowd, particularly in the sleazy agent role. I suspect it would have been a real opportunity to show another side of his talents.

Tragically, we lost him much too soon, but it's a real gift that we still have some fine work left behind to appreciate.

Sorry to see another year just passed yesterday. I was watching him in Monster Zero, and every time I see him on TV, I always look here to wonder what went so wrong again, even though I've read it many times.
Sorry for your families loss, as everyone lost a great actor who came into their homes to entertain them.

What a kind message to read on the anniversary of his death. His work lives on. The Rebel DVD series was released in 2015 by Shout Factory (available on Amazon) and recently won Best Television DVD in True West magazine. How lucky I am to be able to watch him in his own television series that he created with A.J. Fenady. The episodes hold up and even Quentin Tarantino borrowed one of the plots for his Hateful Eight. "What went so wrong" as you mention, has been a quest of mine for the last several years. I have no solid answer but I will let you know if I come up with one! Meanwhile, we have his film and television legacy to enjoy. Thank you for commenting. RIP Nick Adams.

I've been watching the box set of The Rebel these over the last few weeks, and Nick Adams gives a powerful, charismatic, performance in this fine series. I don't think he had any formal training as an actor, which makes his achievements all the more impressive. Watching this I can understand why kids especially chose "Johnny Yuma" as their hero.

I think I've seen most of Nick's TV guest star performances he made in the 50s and 60s - Yancy Derringer (as a Russian prince), The Dick Powell show, Checkmate, Burke's law (in one of his appearances in this series he does some of his well known impressions of other stars), The Outer Limits, Voyage to the bottom of the sea, The wild wild west (twice) etc

A question for Allyson Adams.
Have you seen your father's second series Saints and Sinners, which I wrote a review for on the IMDB years ago? This is also a very good show which deserved a longer run (a mere 17 episodes over 1962/3).

Hi there,I'm happy you are enjoying The Rebel DVD. I love the show and yes I have seen some episodes of Saints and Sinners, but not your review. That show was so good and ahead of it's time. Edgy, the women, I loved it. Where can I see more episodes and your review?

Hello, Allyson (excuse the familiarity!)

The review is here; I wrote it many years ago -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055702/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The Saints and Sinners series has been repeated in the UK on satellite TV channels three times in the past few years. Your dad appears only in a few scenes of "The homecoming bit" (mainly a showcase for Elizabeth Montgomery and Barbara Rush) and hardly at all in "New lead Berlin". I think my favourite from the series is "Night of horns and bells", which I saw listed on one website about US television as one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

Presently there are 11 full episodes of Saints and Sinners on YouTube (chopped up in parts, unfortunately). There were 18 in total -

https://www.youtube.com/user/that60schannel/videos

I've nearly finished The Rebel box set - I've been watching an episode a day.

I look forward to reading your book about your father's friendship with Elvis Presley.

I'm thankful for MeTV. I really love your father as an actor. At this moment I'm watching him on Hell Is For Heroes. I'm still learning of movies he played in, but the Rebel will always be my favorite. I didn't know about book but will look it up. Keep your heads held high. He was and still is a great man. He is sadly missed.

you're not his daughter. you're a liar.

The Fearmakers Blog https://thefearmakers.blogspot.com/