David Arnold : No longer does big movies

No longer does big movies

Why not doing Bond or Independence Day sequals, doesn't anyone in the business like his work or is he difficult to work with?

Re: No longer does big movies

I think many simply recognize he's not that exceptional as a composer, which is why he's doing more TV work in this decade. One of his biggest flaws as a composer is that he has a tenancy to "overwrite", point out the obvious in scenes instead of let drama be drama. Just watch the scene in TOMORROW NEVER DIES when Bond and Paris embrace. He really overreaches by swelling the music in such an over the top fashion that he turns drama into melodrama. All John Barry would have done with a scene like that is have a flute solo with some strings and it would have been more effective, whereas Arnold's is obnoxious.

Don't know about Independence Day b68 but I understand that Sam Mendes nearly always works with Thomas Newman and has done so on the recent Bond films that he directed. I"m just back from a fantastic concert of David Arnold's music in Switzerland, so I certainly hope he keeps doing more films, TV (and concerts) :)

What happened between him and Edgar Wright? Hot Fuzz was a brill score so why did he not do either Scott Pigram or The World's End? Steven Price's work for The World's End was bland and I would have much rather had a score by Arnold.