Thomas Newman : Needs to win an Oscar for 'Saving Mr. Banks' score.

Needs to win an Oscar for 'Saving Mr. Banks' score.

Oh my god. What a perfect score! Perfect!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Needs to win an Oscar for 'Saving Mr. Banks' score.

I have given up hope of Thomas Newman EVER winning an Oscar. What is this his 9th or 10th nomination? The Academy will *beep* around and give it to another composer and miss COMPLETELY the score that is in Saving Mr. Banks. The whole film being snubbed by the Academy is a *beep* disgrace. The only score that is close to Newman's joyous score for 'Banks' is Steven Price's score for Gravity. The others a good scores, too but Gravity and Saving Mr. Banks are two standout scores of 2013.

"Have a better one"

I'm wonderingwill this be the year he wins kind of a "making up for all the other years you should have won" Oscar??

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

You have to remember that while Hollywood composers choose the nominees, the Academy votes on the score, and I doubt most of them know many film composers besides Williams, Zimmer, and Elfman, so the idea of a 'make up' win is very unlikely.

My money is on "Her" to win, because someone famous wrote the score (the guy from Arcade fire), and the soundtrack is brought specific attention to in the film. Though "Saving Mr. Banks" would be the runner up I think - from voters who do know Newman, and because people might think, 'it's a movie about a musical, so I'll vote for it in the music category.'

The day that strumming a few guitar chords won Best Score for Brokeback Mountain was the day I realized that music had little to do with the award.

Quite frankly Thomas Newman deserves more than an oscar…he deserves a lifetime achievement award.