Robert Rodriguez : If you love John Carpenter so much, give him a job!

If you love John Carpenter so much, give him a job!

You own a studio and a network, make it happen! Carpenter should be working.

Re: If you love John Carpenter so much, give him a job!

What???
Please explain.

I bet you're wondering what a place like this is doing in a girl like me-The Mummy

As far as i understand Mr. Carpenter is practically retired at this point

"..."

Damn right... isnt Carpenter ill? or not?... maybe he doesnt want to work.

He's not really in the best of health and, as we saw in the interview Rodriguez did with him on The Director's Chair, he's definitely still a chain smoker, but I haven't heard of any serious illness that would prevent him from directing. He's still active, having released an album of new music just last year and has said that he's willing to direct the right project and has some projects of his own he'd like to make if the opportunity presents itself. But he wants to do them on his terms with no strings attached. As he told Rodriguez in the interview, "I'm not going to be a whore." I believe that he was in talks with Blumhouse a few years back to direct some things for them, but the deal fell through due to disagreements over budget. They wanted to give him a budget similar to Paranormal Activity and he wanted a budget similar to those of his older classics when adjusted for inflation (which really isn't a hell of a lot by film industry standards; Escape from New York was made for the equivalent of $15,000,000 today, Halloween for just over $1,000,000).

I agree that he would be the ideal director for somebody like Rodriguez or Tarantino to champion and bring back into the game. In fairness, Rodriguez did ask Carpenter to write the score for Planet Terror. Carpenter said he would have gladly done it but hadn't gotten the message in time.

I don't think John Carpenter needs Robert Rodriguez's help to get work. Carpenter has had a far more celebrated career in Hollywood and could at very least get a gig directing a horror film just on name recognition alone.

The reasons Carpenter hasn't really done much in the last 6 years is because firstly, the man's pushing 70 and directing feature films can be an incredibly exhausting experience. And secondly, from what I understand he isn't in the best of health. But he sure as hell doesn't need a hack like Rodriguez to get back in the game.