Alex Proyas : the crow vs. dark city

the crow vs. dark city

its obvious these are his two best movies. lets vote on which is better. ill give my vote for the crow (although i love dark city).

the crow 1
dark city 0

"Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is."

Re: the crow vs. dark city

I love them both, quite high on my favorite movies list. Interestingly enough, when I arrange my DVD collection in alphabetical order, THE CROW and DARK CITY are right next to each other in release order like a mini Alex Proyas Collection. Neat.

Thats hard,but in the end Dark City…

"Aw,crap!"-Hellboy
"Do your dad a favor,and stop gambling with his life"-Red Eye

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Ha! The same thing happens on my shelf.

"God is the accumulation of all energy in the universe and passes no judgment over its creation."

I have to go with Dark City. Better script, better acting…if you ask me…and you did.

Pretty hard to choose, but maybe Dark City for the philosophy. The Crow have very entertaining action scenes with Brandon Lee, but I still prefer to Dark City.

I'm sorry for my bad English. Jag kan skriva bttre svenska …ja paljon paremmin suomea :D

Dark City is a piece of *beep*

Dark City is awesome. I like it more than 7ecThe Crow. It has some similarities to The Matrix, which is my favourite movie.

Such ingratitude after all the times I've saved your life - Blondie

To each his own I guess.

Brandon Lee was great, but Dark City was a better movie in my opinion.

dark city was a very intellectual film, with one of the hottest actresses around. the crow was a visceral tour de force w/ the greatest action/actor to have been born. the crow wins, IMHO. i don't make a habit of watching dark city every year on devil's night.

There are worse things than death, and I can do all of them.

Dark City, hands down. It's not that I don't like The Crow, but The Crow doesn't make you think.

No question about it. Clearly Dark City.

The CROW wins on any given day! :)

I just finished watching Dark City not an hour ago (for the first time in 6-7 years), and I was amazed at how much it feels like The Matrix! -The Wachowsky-brothers (?) must really have used Dark City as a mold … Even the subtle sounds/score of Dark City are in Matrix.

Dark City is better than the Crow for the simple reason that Dark City really deals with very interesting and different ideas like how we define the very nature of our world. The Crow, on the other hand, deals with pretty familiar ideas like love and revenge. Still, each movie is great in its own right.

"Dark City" had a much slicker production than "The Crow," absolutely. But which did I enjoy more? "THE CROW", hands down. There are many films with crappy production that can run circles around films with a tight budget and slick Hollywood production. "The Crow" was the diamond in the rough. It's stayed with me and made me "feel" for tweleve years. I own "Dark City" too, but how often do I feel compelled to watch or analyze it? I can even remember the last time I watched it (and I think it's MUCH closer to "The Thirteenth Floor" than to "The Matrix). I pull out "The Crow" and the accompanying soundtrack and score every chance I get.

Dark City is my all time favourite film.

The Crow Sucked!

I'll have to go with Dark City

+1

You'll always have people who are Crow fans, or DC fans. I think The Crow is a better story *because* more people are able relate to it. Dark City served such an esoteric audience. I happen to be apart of said audience. I don't think Dark City did anything mind blowingly new that any number of Twilight Zone episodes didn't do back in the old days. The acting wasn't that great in DC. The Crow had the best villians. All the actors worked together in such a complimenting way. I also think the Crow script was superior in many ways. Dark City didn't seem like an escape to me. It felt like a blackhole you were sucked into with no escape. I understand that was the goal, and what a wonderful job Proyas did. In my opinion, he's one of the greatest directors of all time.

the crow 10

dark city 8.5

the crow hands down.

Dark City hands down.

Post deleted

Dark City for me, love it.
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Crow if you like it gritty and disturbing way. Dark City if you like that Twilight Zone/Shinning feel to it.

Maybe in your next life, you'll believe the Zodiac when it tells you to cut the red wire.

My friend likes THE CROW, which is a fine film but DARK CITY is a masterpiece and the Director's Cut on DVD that's being prepared (still one year after Ebert's Great Movies Review spoke of it!) will make it a GREATER FILM!

Though i feel that in a lot of ways Dark City is better, I actually like the Crow a little more… IT's more of a movie that I can put in at any time and enjoy it. I have to be ready to watch Dark City.

So, I guess, I'd say Dark City is better, but The Crow is more enjoyable to me.

I have to give it to Dark City. Both films offer great performances as well as a strong visual style but, in my opinion, DC benefits from a tight well-rounded script. The writing on The Crow simply doesnt live up.

Fo me both films are great.

I'd definately have to say Dark City.. music is cool, cinematography is nicely done, acting is good nevertheless to my opinion the "bad guys" didn't really have an impulse to make the movie like an "evil" dark city, but i thought it was still good, even if the bad guys weren't scary or haunting-like..

My two cents

"Dark City" is a work of genious and by far a better film than "The Crow", which is visually interesting but cursed with an extremely weak script.
Although I say all that knowing that because of Lee's tragic death Proyas and him never had the chance to do any refining of the script or any adding/reshooting of scenes they may have wanted later. One can only speculate how the film would have ultimately turned out of both of them were able to finish it they way they wanted, it is a shame that we will never know.

Re: My two cents

the crow all the way 100%

Bring On The Deadpool Movie!!!!!!!!

its obvious these are his two best movies. lets vote on which is better. ill give my vote for the dark crow (although i love the city).

the crow 1
dark city 8621402

"In your face Strawberry."

the crow of course,every filmmaker knows , its a modern classic

Dark City by far, it's one of the best science fiction films ever made.

I like both movies, but at last I prefer The Crow.
Long Live Alex Proyas and Brandon Lee R.I.P.

Dark City was a better movie. The Crow more enjoyable, you can switch off the brain and still be entertained. Enjoyed the Matrix even more, but it definitely "borrowed ideas" from Dark City (to put it kindly)… and thankfully there was no Dark City Reloaded!

I love both films a lot, they are certainly up there in my favorites.

The Crow had great action, interesting characters, an amazing soundtrack, and of course Ernie Hudson.

But Dark City was such an amazing film The first time I saw it, I really didn't see the twists coming. Not to mention that Mr. Hand is one of the best villains in movie history.

I also like people comparing it to the Matrix. Seeing as matrix certainly stole some ideas from DC… Not only that, it used some of the same sets.

They are both GREAT films, but Dark City is a BRILLIANT film.

I love The Crow, but Dark City is in my top 10 favorites of all time.

The Crow :D

How come whenever I talk about belief you always assume I'm talking about God?

the crow. dark city looks like it was made in the 80's even tho it was accually made in 98

Post deleted

I don't think there is any question that the answer is Dark City.

The Crow hands down…it's my favourite film ever…one which i watch on Devil's night each year

I am the ray of darkness in your otherwise sunny day…

Dark City wasn't my favorite originally…then I loved the director's cut so much it easily got placed ahead of The Crow in my book…but The Crow's also one of my all-time favorite films so who cares?! They're both so brilliant in their own unique way.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/data.filmboards/images/emoticons/clown.GIF" alt="clown.gif"> You're going to die. https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/data.filmboards/images/emoticons/eek.GIF" alt="eek.gif"> Oh no!

I'm going to go with The Crow on this one for multiple reasons.

Firstly, let me say that personally I found that Dark City had one of the most beautiful endings I've ever seen on film. It's a film that began as a bit of a bore to me personally, but got better and better. Although I find that to warrant a great film, it has to be great the whole way through. If it had a somewhat more immersive buildup then I could have put it as one of my favorite films of all time. I think The Matrix is a better example of 'getting it perfect', in terms of set-up, conflict and pay-off. Dark City is still quite decent though. I understand that Dark City is immensely deeper than The Crow, I just wasn't as interested in it. 7/10

The Crow was great the whole way through for me. Sure, it didn't have any moments as surreal as the final 15 minutes of Dark City, but as a whole the movie is great and doesn't slow down or ever become boring. 8/10

Like several above me have already said though, they are both great in their own right.

Dark City without a doubt. I love The Crow (and its soundtrack), but DC was a much deeper and more insightful film…and extra points for the INCREDIBLE cinematography.

Dark City is superior as a film. The Crow will win because of fanboys.

Neither. I, Robot.

Nah j/k. Dark City is a much deeper film, especially considering one of the all time classics The Matrix is heavily influenced by it. But personally I just enjoyed The Crow more.