Classic TV: The 80s : Curvy starlets of the '80s

Curvy starlets of the '80s

What ever happened to Hollywood? It used to cast girls who were actually feminine and beautiful, with soft features and curvy figures. Nowadays every actress seems to be size 0, with harsh, mannish facial features, grotesquely ropy-muscled bodies, and radioactive tans.

It wasn't always like this. I remember numerous young starlets in '80s television who exhibited actual curves:

-Blair in Facts of Life (Lisa Welchel) -- the most beautiful of them all
-Gina in Otherworld (Jonna Lee)
-Heather in Mr. Belvedere (Tracy Wells)
-D.J. in Full House (Candace Cameron)
-Cindy in Just the Ten of Us (Jamie Luner)

From the movies, I would add:

-Ali in The Karate Kid (Elisabeth Shue)
-Jennifer in Blame It on Rio (Michelle Johnson)

And as a late example of the type:

-Brenda in Beverly Hills 90210 (Shannen Doherty)

These girls all had skinny best friends, but they were the starlets of their respective shows -- either the main daughters or love interests -- and they all had curvy figures.

Nowadays they would probably all be considered "chubby" (which is ridiculous), yet they were all way more beautiful than the anorexic waifs who star in most TV shows today.

What ever happened to make Hollywood so militantly insistent on gym-tortured bodies rather than soft, natural figures?

Are there any modern exceptions that I'm not thinking of?

Does anyone remember other '80s starlets that would fit into this youthfully curvy (not frumpy/matronly -- not Roseanne!) category?

Re: Curvy starlets of the '80s

I don't remember Heather in Mr. Belvadere being considered that, she seemed a frumpy nerd. Maybe I need to rewatch some to refresh my mind.

I remember the Lubbock Babes, I want a reunion film.

I don't remember Heather in Mr. Belvadere being considered that
Oh, she was very attractive, especially in the later seasons of the show. Far more beautiful than, say, DJ on Full House ever was (although DJ was cute enough that I would include her in this list).

I remember the Lubbock Babes, I want a reunion film.
I know. Between the young Jamie Luner and Heather Langenkamp, there was a lot of beauty in that household.

Sadly, Luner starved herself into typically Hollywood skinniness right after the show ended (as did all of the rest the girls on the list). But each girl had a brief, shining period of youthful, curvy beauty that was way preferable to what Hollywood gives us today.

I think Tracy Gold also fits this catagory.She was another one that fell victim to Hollywood's desire for thin actresses.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Desire for thin, curvy actresses, you mean

I try to be like Grace Kelly, but all her looks were too

- Loni Anderson in WKRP in Cincinnati.
- Jennilee Harrison as Cindy in Three's Company
- Marilu Henner as Elaine in Taxi.

"Too Close for Comfort" (1980) Lydia Cornell (Sara Rush)
- Loni Anderson in WKRP in Cincinnati.
- Jennilee Harrison as Cindy in Three's Company
- Marilu Henner as Elaine in Taxi.
Hmmm. Well, I understand why people would mention these girls, but they were all pretty skinny, except with implants. They weren't that different from what you'd see today. Plus they were adult 20somethings, not really in the high-school category that I noted in my original post.

What strikes me about the girls that I originally mentioned is that they were ever so slightly on the plump side (at least by today's standards), and that is something that, sadly, you would never see these days, as far as I know.

You mentioned Michelle Johnson from Blame it on Rio, and I wouldn't really categorize her as plump either. She was actually pretty thin.

I don't know about the other two, but not only did Loni Anderson not have implants, she actually had breast reduction surgery.

"My name is Paikea Apirana, and I come from a long line of chiefs stretching all the way back to the Whale Rider."

Jennilee Harrison and Marilu Henner never had implants you must be crazy Notaarebe.

Uh, Alyce Beasley (my favorite work of art)

Are you insane? Or just another deluded person whose into fat girls or butterfaces? There are far more skinny curvy gurls than "big" curvy girls. The 50s sucked, btw, including at determining ideal body shapes/types. And everyone has curves- the curve in your waist is what CURVES are, not a butt so big it needs its own zipcode or sagging DD/E cups. I'm a size zero and I am curvy. People like this need to go back to Kindergarten to learn the difference between SHAPES and SIZES or whenever they teach such common sense things, and maybe learn to appreciate all women's bodies, not whatever attention whore is willing to flash you her perky implants and breeder hips.

"yet they were all way more beautiful than the anorexic waifs who star in most TV shows today."

Care to name some, or how they've all got eating disorders? Being slender is not being anorexic. It's disgusting how warped America is about women's bodies, all because fat is the average size.

I try to be like Grace Kelly, but all her looks were too

Two of my favorites:

Kimiko Gelman (Rags to Riches)
Tricia Cast (It's Your Move)

Markie Post - Night Court

I don't have an opinion. The word "opinion" implies the possibility I'm wrong.

How about Tracey Gold from Growing Pains? For a couple of seasons she was a bit on the plump side. She looked okay to me but apparently the producers of the show pressured her into shedding some pounds. Her struggles with her weight and anorexia are well publicized.

ExoticMadchen, there is no such size as zero. That's just the fashion industry playing inside your head. And newsflash honey, being slim doesn't mean NOT having hips, tits and an ass! Which last time I checked, most men, by the way, still enjoy viewing.

Between the late 70's and first half of the 80's there were so many more babes & hunks on tv. Now it's all androgynous people in lab coats, flashing badges and holding smartphones, portrayed by bobble-head actresses with no curves and metrosexual-geek actors with no chins.

Luke Perry and Lara Flyn Boyle have a lot to answer for.

"Evil spelled backwards is live": Mok

ShanDo started to lose a ton of weight starting around the second season - or actually the first summer episodes when they all had to wear bikinis. And they always have the same excuse: "I lost my baby fat!" Yeah, that, and the cocaine....:)

When life gives you lemons, make Limoncello.

Cybill Shepherd - big boned woman; never made any apologies for it.

Edit: just re-read your post and ITA with your face comments too. Roundish faces, apple cheeks, and cute noses are much prettier than these mannish jaws, prominent but unnaturally narrow noses and cheekbones that are so scary they could cut glass. Lake Bell would never have gotten a job in the 80s, let alone as a babe.

When life gives you lemons, make Limoncello.

Totally agree that Lisa Whelchel was the hottest curvy starlet of them all. Kim Fields was a close second.

Now, the majority of actress on T.V look like 13 year old under developed boys(Blake Lively, deemed the hot one on that rich girl show).

I'm straight...applaud me for my bravery!

Yep, Blair was gorgeous.

Proud Supporter of LGBTQI Community!

Just wanted to tell/ask...
Since you mentioned Shannen Doherty,do you know she was on Little House the last couple of years? Not the lead,but every episode for a couple of years.
Just wondering...

Well he shoulda' armed himself if he's gonna' decorate his saloon with my friend.

The girls from 227 were pretty curvy like Jackie Harry and the one lady from Seaseme street.

Im glad someone mentioned Lydia Cornell!

For those of you dont know who she is..here is a montage pic:

http://theageofvolcanoes.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/too_close_for_comfort_lydia_cornell.jpg

Conservatives hate what people do -- Liberals hate who people are.

I agree w/u. I was a teenager in the 80's and now this day in age yup bag of bones is beautiful. I was not chubby or fat nor was I stick skinny. I think back to then and my body was great.

Curvy: U could prolly add Kim Fields from Facts of Life.
The sisters from the family music group The Jetts.
Tracy Gold, she was not stick skinny. She did try to starve herself and struggled w/that due to Hollywood.

I really don't remember toooo many bony girls back then, I think most of them were curvy or healthy. Some were bony, but growing up back then that wasn't a big deal for alot of teen girls and myself and my sister and friends. It was about the clothes and hair lol. I assume u r an 80's kid? If I think of anyone else I'll let u know. Good day to u.

All of the girls on The Facts of Life were curvy. Eventually, they all lost some weight, but they all were curvy at different points in the series.

Elizabeth - V The Series. amazing in that red suit.

"Monsters are such interesting people, my stars, the places you must go, the people you must meet!"

Modern exceptions:

Kira Kosarin (Thundermans)
Torri Webster (Life with Boys)
Esther Zynn (The Other Kingdom)
Aislinn Paul (Degrassi next gen)
Jessica Tyler "
Melinda Shankar "
Cassie Steele "
Vanessa Morgan (Babysitter Vampire)
Kate Todd "
Jojo Levesque (Aquamarine)

I could go on... one point, a lot of the best are in Canadian/Australian/UK TV. The problem is mostly in Hollywood USA.

BTW skinny mania started in the 60's already with Twiggy and slowly gained steam until it actually became prevalent in the 80's... I could probably list tons of stick figure 80's actresses too. But I'd rather forget them : )

--
01/01/01

Nell Carter was the female lead in Gimme a Break.

COR!

Girl from Blame it on Rio was truly luscious, hana

COR!

Girl from Blame it on Rio was truly luscious, hana

Indeed buna. Watch she make scrambie eggs in this one clip and tell me you didnt get the stork on, hana

I don't know about those but I'm a fan of Battle of the Network Stars and they had some really beautiful women competing. Lisa Welchel competed at least once and was did pretty good. I don't recognize those other women you listed.

In Battle, the women that stood out for pure beauty were Heather Thomas, Donna Dixon, Jane Seymour, Farrah Fawcett-Majors, Ann Jillian, Linda Carter, Victoria Principal, Randi Oakes and many more.

COR!!! Vicky Principals was amaezing. I love this scene when her and Booby were at their sexual peak, hana

I prefer this one buna, when you are listen they are dance to Dallas music. Also Ray cannot dance for toffee, hana

Is Jenny Lee consider curvy, slim or athletic, hana!?

Strewth, buna

whole lotta curvy

Crumbs

Jamie has dunlap disease

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

She's up for grabs if you want

My password is password

I see that Orson 's fake Indian bots are all active in this thread. I have no idea where he got those photos from. It makes them all look and sound retarded.

who are you talking to, bini !?

D.J. in Full House (Candace Cameron)

You serious? She was only ELEVEN when that show started in September 1987.

SMDH. 🙄