Lucille Ball : Celebs who didn't love Lucy

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy

Don't think so. Lucy adored Clark Gable, they were his best friends after Carole Lombard died. She had nothing but nice things to say about him.

That's good to hear. I know that Lucy and Carole were close friends, but there were stories that Lucy didn't like Gable because of his womanizing, and that she only gained some affection for him after Carole's death. I read that in Stefan Kanfer's biography, but he isn't known for his accuracy.

Re: Celebs who didn'
5b4
t love Lucy

While I have heard here that Lucy didn't like Bing Crosby, I have heard the opposite elsewhere.

While I have heard here that Lucy didn't like Bing Crosby, I have heard the opposite elsewhere.
It is actually noted in at least one Lucille Ball biography that I read, which quotes Lucy as calling Crosby a "sourpuss" and talking about how she didn't like him because of it.

So, not only have I heard here that she didn't like him, I also read it. It seems pretty clear that she didn't like him. She liked Bob Hope, not Bing Crosby.

Please excuse typos/funny wording; I use speech-recognition that doesn't always recognize!

Lucy

Bing Crosby obviously liked Lucy as he guested on her Lucy Shows and also paid rent to Lucy via his Bing Crosby Productions HQ at Desilu and filmed Ben Casey, Hogan Heroes.

Re: Lucy

One other story that I heard was from a little girl who went to a party at the home of Frank Sinatra. This girl ran into Lucille Ball who asked her where Ethel was. Ball responded, "Ethel's dead, kid." Understandably this girl burst into tears.

Incidentally the girl said that Sinatra was a lovely man.

Lucy also loved director/choreographer Charles Walters. Walters choreographed DUBARRY WAS A LADY [1943]. Ball thought Walters would have been the perfect choice to direct MAME [1974].

Robert Osborne credited Lucy with encouraging him to pursue his interest in writing about film. He discusses her here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFsZwyT1exw

Harvey Korman on Lucy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRtfQbept4

Ken Berry on Lucy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_af_UXfEVBk

Marlo Thomas on Lucy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC22hplL8wQ

Other views on Lucy;

"At rehearsal, director Gregory La Cava passed out the scripts around the table to the cast of ingenues and said, 'Anyone who finds a funny line, just read it.' We were left to our own devices. I'd found a couple that I thought were funny, so I said, 'Well, If no one's going to take these, I will. Lucy looked at me and said, 'She's the one we have to watch out for.'" - Eve Arden

"You had to walk softly around her sometimes, if she wasn't feeling well that day or something. There would be a tenseness in the air. She had a temper. She would slam doors. Lucy had a big heart and could be a joy to be around. But I was always pretty much in awe or scared of the lady, really." - Keith Thibodeaux

"A lot of people found her very, very tough to work with. She bossed everybody around and didn't spare anybody's feelings. But I didn't mind that because she knew what she was doing. If someone just says, 'Do this!,' it's awful if they're wrong. If they're right, it just saves a lot of time. And she was always right." - Tony Randall

"I can't put into words what I miss about her - she was a great force in my life that I appreciated, and miss very much." - Wanda Clark

"Lucy was really my best friend. Whenever I needed female advice, she would gladly offer me some. She was great to work with, she had a soft heart, and it helped that she looked beautiful. I loved Lucy." - Bob Hope

"You had to walk softly around her sometimes, if she wasn't feeling well that day or something. There would be a tenseness in the air. She had a temper. She would slam doors. Lucy had a big heart and could be a joy to be around. But I was always pretty much in awe or scared of the lady, really." - Keith Thibodeaux

well, she did seemed like the intimidating type.

Don't play games with a girl who can play better.

well, she did seemed like the intimidating type.
--

I've been around people like that, and they always make excuses for themselves [or others do it for them]. They use words like "blunt", "upfront" or "honest" as euphemisms for rude, arrogant, selfish, and cruel.

Lucille Ball was a mixed bag. There were plenty of people who hated working with her and there were plenty who felt the opposite.

I don't know where you guys get your facts from, but you're all wrong. Lucy and Henry Fonda got along famously. They dated years before Lucy got married. Lucy got along very well with Katharine Hepburn - the pair starred together in Stage Door and Lucy once stated, "Katharine Hepburn was beautiful." Lucy didn't pour coffee on Katharine. Katharine poured a drink on Ginger Rogers because "the woman was being a pain", she said.

To know her is to loathe her

Anyone who really knew Lucy knew what a phony she was. With no real talent she resorted to terror to get her way, especially when Desi was out of the picture. Lucy was the original Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde.

Re: To know her is to loathe her

From what I can gather, people either loved or hated Lucy.

Well she had talent but she did seem phony. Network TV has iconized Lucy but she was a real bitch and terror to work with. Good for Liz Taylor for being such a good sport and putting up with Lucy who was mainly just a sitcom actress and a legend in her ow 238 n mind!

Well, Lucy was a legend.

Plus there were people who did enjoy working with her, as well as those who hated working with her.

And are they making a 2000 movie about your life?

Just goes to show you how Americans worship TV stars and celebrities like they're gods.

True. All you have to do is read a bio like Desilu to find out that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were flawed people. I think a lot of people have blinders on when it comes to their love story, saying they were soul mates and all that mushy stuff. Really their relationship was unhealthy for both of them, the best thing for them was a divorce.

IT'S been said by Lady Jane Fonda, that her dad was deeply in love with Lucy during the making of "Yours, Mine and Ours"...

Even larks and katydids are, supposed by some, to dream

Lucy didn't like Fred MacMurray. She felt that he was a square [he was a bit uptight] and that he didn't have any good comic timing. I disagree with the latter, but I think Lucy was dead on with his personality. I like MacMurray, but he was known to be aloof and somewhat dull. He was one of those Conservatives who had a conservative demeanour [still, couldn't relax, etc].

🚫♥️ Celebs who didn't love Lucy

From what I've read, MacMurray wasn't liked on the set of My Three Sons either. He apparently thought his role was much more important than it really was.

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s][/s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u][/u]