Jim Henson : Did Jim Henson die of AIDS?

Did Jim Henson die of AIDS?

There has been a lot of confusion lately regarding the death of Jim Henson. The media initially reported that Jim died of pneumonia, which is a common euphemism for having succumbed to AIDS. His wife had divorced him in the later years of his life. My guess is that by the 80s his fortune allowed him to indulge his sexuality, his wife found out, and then he contracts AIDS and dies suddenly in 1990, at a time when other gay male celebrities were dropping dead like flies of the sickness. The image of gentle, bearded Jim Henson being a children's television visionary by day and then a gay sex maniac at night is really unsettling to me. Please someone tell me this isn't true.

Re: Did Jim Henson die of AIDS?

Alright, sure. It's not true.

-----
Pretzels, pretzels, pretzels, pretzels, pretzel party at Jack's house!

i also heard that he was gay

Does it matter? I am assuming you know he had sex when 5b4 you thought he was straight. What difference would it make if he did turn out to be gay?

He was still Jim Henson and created amazing fuzzy creatures.

A sex maniac...because he may have had aids and/or been gay. There just aren't words to describe how utterly stupid people like you are. Read my words very carefully...IT DOESN'T MATTER. He was a great man. Lets just leave it at that.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

To answer the original question, no he did not die of AIDS.

He passed away from organ failure due to a a infection of Streptococcus Pyogenes, which eventually led him to Toxic Shock Syndrome. It's uncommon and severe, but usually treatable strain of bacteria. Unfortunately due to his personal beliefs he left it too late to be treated and passed away less than a day after being admitted.

And he was never gay. He had five kids his wife, whom he never divorced but they did separate each other. They were still technically married when he died.

Exactly! Jim died of pneumonia.

However, Richard Hunt (another one of the original Muppeteers) died of AIDs-related complications.

Richard Hunt, the Muppet performer behind 5b4 - or beneath, rather - Statler, Sweetums, Beaker, Janice, The Two Headed Monster, Forgetful Jones, and many many others, was gay and did die of AIDS, around the same time Henson died. That may be why you're confused.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!" ; )

Richard Hunt was also Scooter, Kermit's go-fer on the Muppet Show.

In fact the child of a friend of mine was recently hospitalized with the same infection, (he has thankfully recovered from it)and the doctor told her, "this is the same thing Jim Henson died from." My friends son was taken into the er with what appeared to be an ordinary case of the flu and wound up being lifeflighted to a critical care unit the same night. As i said he has since recovered, but it just goes to show how quicklyu the condition can sneak up on seeemingly healthy persons.

It is not our abilities that show who we truly are...it is our choices

A young girl in our community in Imperial Beach CA had chicken pox and contracted the Toxic Shock Syndrome as did Jim Henson but unlike him she survived after amputation of her arms and legs above the knees and the elbows. My daughter went to school with her and she was able to, with prosthetics, jump double-Dutch jumprope in addition to other activities. The whole elementary school was in awe of her. The doctors moved very fast to save her life. This was around the same time as Jim Henson died so suddenly of TSS. I think the same week. She was around 5 or 6 at the time but in 6th grade when my daughter(5th grade) and she were at the same school.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Even if he had died of aids and was a sex maniac,(Not that I'm saying he wa 5b4 s) the man is dead and there's no point in raking up the past. Best just to remember him for what he did when he was alive and leave it at that.

I agree^^^

The Blind Side-8/10
East of Eden-8/10

He was, by all accounts, a gentle and talented man, and he left a lovely legacy. Can anyone explain to me how his sexual orientation could possibly be relevant here?--Not to mention the idiocy of pronouncing him a 'sex maniac' on the basis of it.

It's pretty obvious that he died because of AIDS, how he contracted it doesn't matter at all. It's an insult to those who are living with HIV to keep denying that it's what killed him, it doesn't deserve to be a stigma that must be hidden.

You are sadly so misinformed, HyperU2. Had he died of AIDS, it wouldn't matter, as the end result would be the same. However, he died of what the coroner said he died of. Simple as that. Next time please do some research before making such incorrect statements. Thanks.

Rest In Peace Roxy 9/2/16