European Cinema : European movies are about people.

European movies are about people.

You have no idea what kind of society people live in American movies.
American films are about things or events and not very good ones

Smile and pass it on :)

Re: European movies are about people.

One problem, and I've read this multiple times from producers/directors/critics that in Hollywood, they are apprehensive about doing anything original. It's easier to pitch and sell an idea that has already worked financially. And then getting big names means its going to be a big-budget, so they won't take chances. Hollywood refuses to compromise and make a great movie. I think half of it is lack of talent. If you look up even the great stuff being made, it was a star's son (Alan Ladd Jr.), or many other examples of nepotism. The one difference also was that even the "dinosaurs" loved movies. It's always been a business, but now it's ONLY a business, and movies are always going to be a decade or two behind the times. Even the producers who know something has the possibility of being great won't take a chance because they got hooked on the perks of their job, besides money.

https://jimmorrison.freeforums.net/
https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

They used to make a lot of independent films but the problem is that no matter how good they were, even if they won multiple awards people just generally didnt buy them. People are stupid and like stupid things so it makes perfect sense to feed them big box office trash!

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

You have no idea what kind of society people live in American movies.
That probably makes them more commercially appealing overseas. Less talk and more spectacle makes more money. China is starting to make those kinds of movies now. Most film industries around the world don't have the money to make them.

Can you recommend your favorite Chinese movies cuz I don't think I've ever seen one!

Raise the Red Lantern is well regarded but it has been so long since I have seen it that I cannot vouch for it. It's on YouTube. I kind of prefer the old propaganda films such as the two I mentioned in a different thread, Breaking with Old Ideas and Sparkling Red Star. They're from an interesting period in China's history and I like to see what they were making at the time.

Oh thanks. Did you ever see "I Married A Communist"? I haven't been able to find it but I like those agitprop movies especially the ones made by pro-Nazis to see how they influenced the public. Goebbels knew the effect movies had on people and without them I don't think the Nazis would have ever been a party with power.

I've never seen that movie but I have seen one that was about a communist takeover of the United States. They had Goebbels but we had Frank Capra. There was a team of psychologists working for the Army testing soldiers to see how their opinions changed over time as they watched his movies.

I need to see more. Just hard to find and sometimes I cant manage enough energy and attention to have my eyes glued to the screen

There's a lot of videos on YouTube with closed caption