Drama : Poll: Do you like AMERICAN BEAUTY?

Do you like AMERICAN BEAUTY?

I love polls! I hope I'm doing this right. I love this movie but think Spacey being the situation he's in will hurt this movie forever especially considering he was lusting over a young woman

YES
0% 0 votes
NO
0% 0 votes

Re: Do you like AMERICAN BEAUTY?

Well, look at it as an ironic twist of fate, because Spacey himself doesn't lust over females and then there is the homophobic subplot of the military neighbor who is actually lusting after Spacey's character.

I won't let any hype surrounding Spacey and his behavior as reported by the MSM, stop me from enjoying this instant classic.

It was nice to see the 20th century end on a strong note in film. I feel 1999 provided us with a slew of very memorable films that had waned since 1996, and an artificial and shallow drama like Titanic - '97 ends up winning a best picture Oscar.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Yes, very ironic. I never allow something that doesn't affect me affect "make-believe"

I love it. It's a great movie, and Kevin Spacey is outstanding in it.

Excellent film with a terrific lead performance by Kevin Spacey.

Leoda Richards. The little old grandma lady who was in everything.

http://movie-dude.com/1Actors%20Pages/Leoda%20Richards.htm

One of the only occasions in the '90s when the Academy Awards actually called it right; a great movie.

"The Dig"
http://cinemarchaeologist.blogspot.com/

I like The Green Mile also, yet AB is a fine representation of contemporary late 90's.

UNFORGIVEN and THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS were both solid movies that won Best Picture at the beginning of the decade but leading into AMERICAN BEAUTY, they had, for years, given that trophy to movies that were either undeserving or outright awful. The 1990s were one of the greatest filmmaking decades in the history of the medium but the Academy seemed to remain blissfully ignorant of this.

"The Dig"

I agree with both wins for '90 and '91, Wolves and Lambs, (never really made the animal correlation till now after typing that), but I would have liked for Howard's End to win picture in '92.

Never cared for Schindler's but I can get the reverence for it. '95 I felt was the last really best year, (that year also had a slew of terrific female performances), and then '99 I feel gave some really out there stuff with a bit of a lull in-between.

Best and personal taste in film is all subjective though and while merits and quality can be discussed and critiqued, I felt that the last year of the decade hit the mark with quality and memorable screen gems.

Years ago, I wrote a piece about the history of the Academy Award for Best Picture, focusing on movies that were completely ignored while signficantly inferior ones were nominated and given the win. It goes through most of the history but it does spend a lot of time on the '90s.

As I wrote earler, I thought the 1990s were a really great time for movies, and I got to be offended that the Academy filled their top award with a bunch of crap, as if it was a low-point for cinema, while great movies, often instant classics, were treated as if they didn't exist.
https://cinemarchaeologist.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-picture.html

SCHINDLER'S LIST is a relatively solid movie, often even a great one, that is repeatedly undermined by Spielberg's insecurities as a filmmaker. No matter how far he comes–and SCHINDLER'S LIST was pretty damn far–he just can't resist the impulse to explain to viewers what they're supposed to feel about what he's putting on the screen, like he's absolutely terrified that someone out there will somehow conclude the Holocaust was a pleasant experience, if he doesn't schmaltz it up and use a sledge-hammer to their heads to make sure they don't get that impression.

The problem with giving the award to DANCES WITH WOLVES–a movie one could uncontroversially grant the award in a lot of years–is that it was up against GOODFELLAS, and there's simply no way to justify that. There were other really great movies that year that weren't even nominate, while some that were nominated were terrible (people probably wouldn't believe it now but both AWAKENINGS and GHOST were nominated for Best Picture that year).

A lot of this–probably all of it–is just down to personal taste, I guess. When I was younger and less wizened, I liked the idea of the Oscars, a big, culturally-shared event that theoretically honored excellence in cinema, and always hated when it failed to live up to that. These days, I don't give a damn about them. Which, I would argue, puts me in alignment with the Academy voters.

"The Dig"

If there is a slew of quality films within a calendar year, many will just have to go unrecognized. They can have more nominees for best picture now which still doesn't really fix much, but when only 5 nominees, it undoubtedly will leave some deserved titles left in the dust.

The Academy is also about popularity, image and bias too regarding certain genres.

Thing is, awards don't prove much, compared to what people regard as favourite or best to their own minds and taste. As has been proved countless of times, time is more often than not the true maker of a classic.

Its interesting with Schindler's List, that Spielberg could deploy a somewhat heavy hand, yet still manage to make it bland and boring. I have discussed this film recently on another thread, so I won't go into much more here.

Goodfellas perhaps deserved the adapted screenplay award. Wolves was apparently a screenplay first, before being adapted into a novel and then back into a screenplay. A layered argument could be made was it original or adapted?

Scorsese co-wrote a terrific script for Goodfellas, yet for me, that is where its top award should lie. It also wasn't dignified like the passionate and majestic Dances With Wolves which is pretty much a perfect film in terms of execution if there ever was one.

I don't really give much of a damn about the Oscars anymore, because I don't like the quality of film being produced compared to yesteryear, even if blunders were still made last century.

I am sometimes of the notion, that even those that may not have been as deserving of Academy recognition in the 20th century, are still better than what gets churned out this new century.

Yeah, this movie was top notch. The performances were outstanding, and the direction was nothing short of superb.

Yes

The Grateful Dead released American Beauty around the same time they also released Workingman's Dead.

This pair of albums were two of the best ever released back to back and was one of the major highlights of their long career.

If one does not like even just one song off of this excellent album, really one of the best of all time, then they are dead, deaf, have zero taste in music or all the above.

It's not bad for 70s folk rock? It doesn't fit in with the movie American Beauty.

The title of the film was disappointing. The contrast was stsrtling. Innocence destroyed was tragic.. I think America at that time had happier stories than the lives of the families the story is about. I guess that's just me seeing reality through rose colored glasses. At times while I watched the plot unfold I felt a sense of dread and impeding doom. All those creepy parts involving pedophilia, was taking a risk and yet executed with beautiful technicolor cinematography. I felt uncomfortable throughout the movie.

The day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud of all the other pigs. Just like you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybkU9yiFdVg

How do you equate paedophilia, with Lester's lust for a flirtatious mid teen girl, when the technical term applies to pre-pubescent children?

Lester was being creepy which his daughter Jane even commented on, but he didn't go there and still got his brains blown out. You should have been happy.

If you were uncomfortable, it would be because the film held a mirror up to your face, which confronted you with your own sexual perversions.

How do you equate paedophilia, with Lester's lust for a flirtatious mid teen girl, when the technical term applies to pre-pubescent children?

Equate, like the Walmart brand? Lol!

The day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud of all the other pigs. Just like you.

Answer the question properly please instead of deflecting.

Deflecting??🤨 whatever do you mean, Ole chap?😂

You can't answer it, because your troll comment has been broken down, called out and thrown right back at you. I win!

I'm fucking with you because you have no sense of fucking humor. When you wrote equate. That word reminded me of Walmart. Why did for your sentence using the word equate? And your criticisms for using the wrong word to describe Lester's totally inappropriate sexual desire and flirting with a high school student??? He's a grown man married with children and in his 40s.

So now you are pretending and projecting your insecurities because the only person you end up f<>king with is yourself most of the time. What a loser!!!

So now you think you're an English professor/ CIA agent interrogating me?

If you don't shut up, I may have to get out the waterboard.

Why did you get psychotic with me over a word? Do you need your medication?

Why do you get psychotic over yourself?

Time to be committed.

Wut? Even if you disagreed with how I used the word pedophilia, Lester still had a very inappropriate sexual attraction to a high school student. He was over 40 years old, married and had child of his own.

Well then, you should have said inappropriate in the first place, instead of trying to grandstand of your conflation for attention.

That you pretend to care with your faux outrage, speaks volumes about your phoniness and trollishness.

Next time write that with more feeling!! I don't think we quite get how much you hate that woman. Everything she does you will make wicked and sinister.
If she puts on her shoes, it means she's up to trouble. Right?

I didn't because I hate you. And anyway nobody important is reading your review.

Ephebophilia! Happy now?

Am I supposed to be upset because you hate me….

Speaka da English woman!!!

No-one cares about your toxic phony outrage over a fictional scenario.

you might be good at discussing film but your stupidity shines brightly on all other subjects. The worst thing about you is that you're incapable of having a rational debate with anyone.

Stay on the boards about movies, so that you're not embarrassing yourself anymore.

Projection!

Rationality has never been your strong point, neither has self-awareness…

Do you even know wtf you're talking about?

Toasted Cheese is a perverted homosexual into pedophilia! It's a known fact.

Oh, wonders never cease! Another stinky toxic sock…..

You're currently the most toxic person here.

I call out the toxicity, except you thrive on it.

That actress in the meme is a fucking bitch! I'd like to slap her.

Some black actors will take any acting gig for money. Looks like she did.

If we lost some weight and cut our hair, we would look a lot like her.

Why do you keep impersonating me????

You don't know me. You don't know what I look like either. Go away.

Why are you replying to yourself? Now that is creepier than Lester.

You'd do anything for money, but I doubt you would even get 10cents for your saggy black boobs.

I voted no. I thought Kevin Spacey was very good in his part, but other than that the movie felt kind of pat to me. And I have to say that the plastic bag that kept showing up did nothing for me.

The movie felt like a middle-of-the-road melodrama to me.

What was the significance of the plastic bag?

It's hard to say. Maybe something super banal life how like is always in motion. Or, just when you are least expecting it, look down at your feet and there's life.

…the movie felt kind of pat to me. And I have to say that the plastic bag that kept showing up did nothing for me.

The movie felt like a middle-of-the-road melodrama…
Do you feel like it was sledgehammering a point, instead of allowing it to be born of a more natural and organic approach to its theme Mr. Hutch?

I don't see much pat about its presentation, just something that I thought was very original and aware and touched on many aspects of our controlled and cloistered lives that we take for granted.

We place so much meaning on material impermanence, when the scope of it all is contained in the tiniest details. Look closer, as the tag line says.

I think Spacey really nailed his little monologue at the end when he expressed this after his demise and the inflection he used was sublime.

I don't mean to condescend by my explaining the film, yet it is also very fascinating to me how this film affects many people differently. It does have a tendency to push buttons and it upsets many as well.

One old guy I worked with, his wife told him the film upset her, another lady I know dismissed it because she judged Spacey's creepy actions and I myself found it refreshing, inspiring and insightful overall.

People are so easily offended and I just don't think they get context.

There wasn't a lot left to interpretation.

I can get that too, because it was perhaps didactic in presentation, that it could also be considered insulting the intelligence of the viewer with a lack of subtlety.

Thing is, I got the plastic bag metaphor point, even before the movie. I liked how it made an effort to make a point here.

For many, its just a plastic bag caught up in the wind and it was perhaps a cheap-shot allegory, yet one that could be easily understood to make it into something more.

You have plenty of substance in you already Mr. H. It was a film that perhaps wasn't made or needed for you.

I guess it had a subversiveness about it that I liked as well, but for all the right reasons.

I haven't seen for yonks. Perhaps if I view again, I may take a different angle on it.

Wonderful review! I took the bag to be a "stop and smell the roses" which is what Carol does early on in the movie but is more concerned with "keepin up with the jones'"

Great monologue. I'm getting older and I wish I wasn't so fixated on money and wish I would have lived more. Unfortunately I don't have that oomph Spacey had, and he was terrific. Do you think he'll ever appear in a big movie again?

If there was one weird part it was when Ricky looked at Spacey's dead face and smiled like a lunatic.