Richard Harris : McArthur Park

McArthur Park

I'm very into music, especially I love classic rock. Still I had NO IDEA that the Richard Harris that did McArthur Park and the Richard Harris the actor were the same guy. Learn something new everyday. What a talented fellow he was indeed.

Re: McArthur Park

He was an extraordinary artist!! Not only an actor, he was so much more.

If you like MacArthur Park, please try "My Boy" and "Slides", too. Follow the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-4990294-4904759?%5Fencoding=UTF8&dym=0&search-type=ss&index=music&field-keywords=richard%20harris

He has had a lovely voice…full with passion and soulful!!!

How many albums did he do altogether? I have counted 4, but only recently have gained an interest.

I bought a CD of one of his albums some years ago - "A Tramp Shining". I recommend it to anyone who is interested in his music.

A Tramp Shining
The Yard Went On Forever
Slides
My Boy
I, In The Membership of My Days (Richard & sons reciting his poetry)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Spoken Word)
The Prophet (Spoken Word)

'Go To The Mirror' on a VA recording of the Who's 'Tommy'
Little Tramp (3 tracks) A musical about Chaplin with Harris playing the elderly Chaplin

Ther are also a number of other singles not included on the albums

Harris was also asked to do the narration on Rick Wakeman's 'Journey To The Centre of The Earth' but was due to go on honeymoon with second wife Ann Turknel at the time of recording so David Hemmings got the gig instead. Would have loved to hear Harris do that one.

Someone left the cake out in the rain,
I don't think that I can take it,
'cause it took so long to bake it,
And I'll never have the recipe again!!

"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."

someone was watching channel four last night…

I've got plumbs, but I'm not a plumber

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Of course have all his songs a meaning!! He has written all it himself and it's about his unsucessful first marriage, his worries, sadness, passion.

The LP "My Boy" was again about the time of the first marriage, starting with the first date, the firstborn son and the bad times before their divorce.

In "MacArthur Park" (the song…not the whole LP) he didn't trust himself to be able to love (I mean true love…not having sex) again.

Richard Harris was very passionate in everything he did.

Actually, Jimmy Webb wrote MacArthur Park, not Harris…..

Actually, you are quite right ;o). Thank you for correcting my mistake.

I've done some research and discovered that Richard Harris only inspired Jimmy Webb. Mr. Webb wrote the songs of Richard Harris' first LP "MacArthur Park".

But I was right that Richard Harris wrote partly the songs of "My Boy" himself.

Maybe I was so certain that Richard wrote all the songs himself because of his 1972 or 73 published poem book "I, in the membership of my days".

Yours Delenn Dumbledore!!

You're welcome! I must say, though, that Harris made the song his own, so your "mistake" is totally understandable! :)

So was it Jimmy Webb that left the cake out in the rain?

I've got plumbs, but I'm not a plumber

Tragic, senseless waste of a damn fine dessert, if you ask me.

I love his verison of that song!!!

Post deleted

Well, actually, if you check various music websites, you'll find that Jimmy Webb, after successes with "Up, Up and Away", recorded by The Fifth Dimension, and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," recorded by Glenn Campbell, was looking to write a longer, more coherent body of music. He came up with MacArthur Park as part of a mini-symphony and tried to get The Association to record it. They declined despite pleas from their manager, and only after that did he demo it to Richard Harris. Probably this was fortunate, since it's hard to imagine that MacArthur Park recorded by The Association would have had anywhere near the impact of Harris's version.

the amazing neil cicierega made a commemorative dumbledore video with macarthur park. It's amusing. you can see it at potterpuppetpals.com if you click "'Remembering…' video (Half-Blood Prince spoilers!)" Haha.

"A Stri-Ped pair of pants" . . . not only one of the greatest actors ever, but also responsible for one of the greatest song lyrics of all time!

————————
My vote history:
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=2240596">http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=2240596

Harris did not write "My Boy" either.

I remember the meaning of the lyrics being explained about 20 years ago as: Jimmy Webb had a friend whose little daughter had died so he wrote the song about that. Ive not been able to find any reference to this on the internet though. Personally, I think the story of the little girl dying fits the lyrics perfectly the cake/recipe is a metaphor for parents who have made a child which has been taken away from them and they will never be able to make that child again.

There are however other postings on the internet, eg:

(from www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-56380.html) namely these two:

1. Jimmy Webb: "MacArthur Park is clearly about a love affair ending, and the person singing it is using the cake and the rain as a metaphor for that. OK, it may be far out there, and a bit incomprehensible, but that is what I was trying to get at. I suppose the whole thing was that I wrote the song at a time in the late 1960s when surrealistic lyrics were the order of the day. It was written around about the same time as Strawberry Fields, so it probably seems a bigger deal now than it was back then."

2. People tend to take the line "Someone left a cake out in the rain" a little too literally, it is just symbolic of something wonderful and sweet that has been destroyed because of neglect. The lyrics can be a little overly romantic and overwrought, but that just captures the way love and loss can be blown completely out of proportion by the person involved.

Or as he calls it in the song, McArthur's Park.

"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Me too, I love that song. It's so sad.

I never really dug Harris' voice, but I loved him in "Cry, My Beloved Country"

By the way, here's a version of MacArthur Park I think you folks might like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm_DMKp4SmQ

Kindness…A little bit of it goes a very long way.

One of the great "time for the DJ to go to the bathroom songs" along with American Pie and Stairway to Heaven

It is not our abilities that make us who we are…it is our choices

Post deleted

Ever see the SCTV parody of it. It goes on for minutes, even through the commercial.

"Somebody get me a bloody towel!"

Just a bit of fun.

1. "Weird Al" Yankovic recorded a parody of "McArthur Park" called "Jurassic Park" about the Spielberg film.

2. The film Jurassic Park featured Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcome.

3. Jeff Goldblum did a guest voice on "The Simpsons" as a character named MacArthur Parker.

Hey guys, why the long faces?

Post deleted

Your a rookie, you need to keep up with the times