Gene Simmons : never understood the popularity of kiss

never understood the popularity of kiss

why are they already brought up as one of the best bands of all time. when they aren't even one of the top 100 bands of all time?

lukejbarnett

Re: I NEVER understood the popularity of KISS!…

THEY SUCK!!! They're NOT even REAL hard-rock NOR heavy-metal!

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!".

Re: never understood the popularity of kiss

KISS Army

Rock n roll All Night is played in every gentlemen's club for decades. Exotic dancers probably danced to that song.

They rocked, that's why. While I wouldn't put them in the same league as Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith or even AC/DC (who apparently blew KISS off the stage as their opening band), it's fair enough to say that "Detroit Rock City", "God of Thunder", "Cold Gin", Black Diamond", "Strutter" and "Rock n Roll All Nite" are memorable, catchy rock songs that touch the immature male adolescent in all of us - and, to top it off, they had a super cool gimmick and stage show to boot.

yeah so that puts them up with gary glitter and ramstein and w.a.sp. bc of their makeup and pyrotechnic stage shows.

the only thing that matters is is the music good and their music was very lacking in technical ability and talent and creativity and quality. very uncreative, butt rocker music. all flash but no substance.

i can't really be proud of linking any of their songs bc they are so amateurish and bad.

lukejbarnett

Keep in mind, when KISS first came on to the scene in the early to mid Seventies, America's youth was exiting the hippie era and looking for something completely different. The psychedelia, acid rock and folk rock styles of the previous decade -as well as the social and political sentiments that went along with them ("flower power" and the like) - were being replaced by hard rock, heavy metal, and a less idealistic, more hedonistic worldview. It was inevitable. Disco was also right around the corner and would prove to be even more popular than rock music for a while esp. with urban kids.

So along came four competent rock musicians dressed in clown makeup (one a scary "demonic" looking one) playing short, punchy rock songs about, what else, chicks and partying…and it was just what the doctor ordered! KISS were "the thing" for a few years; between 1975-78 they played to sold out crowds, filling up auditoriums around the world with bored teenagers looking for something new. KISS were as popular as The Beatles for a brief period in time but then it all disappeared. After six solid albums and sold out tours, they were no longer the flavor of the week. Disco was thriving on one shore and punk had just arrived on another distant shore.

By 1979, KISS were playing to mainly preteen audiences. Suddenly, their shtick seemed silly, their new tunes were less interesting (they even dabbled with disco on 1979's Dynasty LP) and band infighting ended with Ace and Peter eventually leaving the band. By the early Eighties, Paul and Gene were left to carry on KISS alone. They finally took off the makeup, found some good replacements for Ace and Peter (Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr) and had some moderate success as a 'normal' hard rock band for the rest of the decade.

They put the makeup back on in the mid 90s and did a hugely successful reunion tour with the original lineup. Those teenagers from the Seventies were now middle aged adults and they were only too happy to see KISS back in the makeup and playing the old tunes again (who doesn't want to relive their youth and "rock n roll all night and party every day"?) Gene always knew how to market the band (well, most of the time) and his instincts proved correct: Nostalgia sells. KISS were suddenly cool again.

a lot of what you just wrote i found out from watching the new documentary on A & E called kisstory. it is the ultimate kiss documentary. it is so informative. it's also very long, so if you are a kiss fan you have to watch it. it runs in 2 parts: each are 1:26 minutes long. if you can definitely watch all of it.

peter said that they were either as popular or more popular than the beatles which he also said is his favorite band.

gene said around the late '70s or early '80s they were playing to parents and kids fans and he said it was nice having all the hot moms at the concerts.

also in the late '70s or early '80s or maybe mid '80s kiss weren't selling out concerts. also peter said the marketing merchandise got too much for him. he didn't want that.

peter and ace got to be too unreliable and peter asked for as much money as gene and paul during the reunion tour in the late '90s so they both got fired and replaced by eric carr and another guitarist.

their current tour is their farewell tour. gene got emotional about their farewell tour not being able to finish saying something about it. they have a great friendship paul and gene and always have.

i've never listened to a kiss album but after watching this i really want to. their early '70s music sounds really good, like early in sound rock and roll music from the '70s.

lukejbarnett

Well put! I saw them in concert last weekend and it was frickin’ awesome.

They are glam rock and an even medium to hard/heavy rock which is a desired taste only. They know how to sell themselves to the audience and the nostalgia was pumping with the largely middle aged crowd.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

🎄Grade "A" Fully Loaded🎄
🎁"Sexy as Hell"🎁

😝

Bing.. Wobbledy wobble, wo-wo-wobble, wobbin'
https://vocaroo.com/1hz4nrSop8zd

Lmfao!

mmmmmmmmmmm

KISS is one of the greatest rock bands ever! Are you kidding? I love their classic Detroit Rock City. There's even a movie about it with the kid from T2.

☝️

They had the best make-up.