The Watercooler : What’s your favorite social media app and why?

What’s your favorite social media app and why?

I feel like Snapchat is very limited and Instagram rendered it extraneous when they perfected the story and highlights feature. Tik Tok is clearly the fastest growing in popularity but Instagram also created a decent facsimile of it with the Reels feature. Also, any Instagram user knows the fast majority of content there is from Twitter with a smaller percentage from Tik tok and Facebook. So Instagram as Zuckerberg and his programmers have constructed it is essentially the Shang Tsung of social media apps. It takes the best abilities of whatever app is popular and compiles them together in a simple and accessible format.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Re: What’s your favorite social media app and why?

Agreed, it’s Instagram for me too. The rest aren’t even close.

Exactly. Snap is just a messaging app at this point.

-Erin Wotherspoon

Facebook has many flaws but it's still my favourite social media hangout bc of its huge community character and the possibility of immediate interaction in group or private posts (apart from the messenger) with threaded comment sections that are reminiscent of message boards. it's a platform that can be used in so many ways, commercially, privately, socially, communally and which has sophisticated privacy and security settings every other social media platform lacks.

Instagram and Twitter are fine for what they are trying to be and provide, but are, in my social media experience, only extensions to Facebook's opportunities. Snapchat and TikTok are the most attention seeking apps and bc of how far deep they both intervene with one's privacy, i never really cared much for either. i deleted Snapchat shortly after i started using it and i never even gave TikTok a shot.

if u stare long enough at this post u die

Snap is to send nudes and post smoking videos and maybe make a few chats and talk. There’s nothing else to do there 🥴.

-Erin Wotherspoon

Blogger

¼ Irish, French, German
¼ Irish, ⅛ Dutch, German, French
½ Dutch Chinese-Indonesian
Blog

The only social media site I use as anything other than photo storage is Facebook. So, I'll have to vote Facebook on this one.

Hark! Harold the angel sings.

Twitter by far. Facebook is too gossip-driven.
I like forum gossip as much as anyone, but I don't like gossip in my social media. Twitter is the valedictorian, Facebook is the drama queen.

The perks are worth the extra 5 bucks, boss.

What. Twitter is hissy-fitty as fuck.

But aren't all your Facebook friends people you know IRL? Isn't that what causes the drama? On Twitter, most of them aren't even from the same state.

on my Facebook friends list are only people i vibe with. i don't add people to my account i wouldn't trust or can't stand or have nothing in common whatsoever.

Twitter really is much more unpersonal and pretty much anyone can read and follow ur tweets.

I guess it works if you join groups. Otherwise, all the friend suggestions/possibilities are all the people you graduated with.

yes, but any of those "suggestions" or anyone that appears in the "people u may know" section are not automatically on ur friends list if u didn't actually add them to it and will never be able to read or interact with u privately. hence, it is very easy to avoid any gossip or drama if u don't actively seek it out urself.

👆

No drama on mine.

👆

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Bump

-Erin Wotherspoon

Blogger because it's all I could find to make a free or affordable online blog in a very basic setup you can adjust yourself, if you so chose. I wish I did this when we first got the internet, like the new computers at least, in 1997 or 1998? It's also nice it seems to be the pioneer of blogging.

¼ Irish, French, German
¼ Irish, ⅛ Dutch, German, French
½ Dutch Chinese-Indonesian
Blog