Sports : Dozens of Covid cases linked to the Olympics

Dozens of Covid cases linked to the Olympics

The Olympics haven't even started yet! The athletes don't have to be vaccinated.

(This article is slightly outdated; the number of cases is 61 now.)

Dozens of COVID-19 cases linked to Olympics, including three athletes in Olympic Village
In total, organizers have reported at least 59 COVID-19 cases directly linked to the Games, and an IOC spokesperson said they were "relieved that all protocols were followed and that the infection was identified."

The 6,700 athletes in the Olympic Village are subject to strict rules and regulations. They must undergo daily COVID-19 tests, maintain social distancing and cannot move freely outside official Olympic venues.

"The inhabitants of the Olympic Village are the most-tested group of people in the world," said another spokesperson.

But the emergence of so many cases before the Games even start has attracted withering criticism from abroad, including from Germany.

"What was always going to happen has happened: 55 COVID-19 cases, and only a fraction of the athletes and officials have arrived in Tokyo," Dagmar Freitag, the chair of the German government's sport select committee, told the SID news agency before the latest cases were announced.

The Social Democratic Party (SPD) lawmaker added: "The IOC is clinging on to the fairy tale of the most secure Olympic Games in a thoroughly irresponsible manner."

https://www.dw.com/en/tokyo-2020-dozens-of-covid-19-cases-linked-to-olympics-including-three-athletes-in-olympic-village/a-58305936

Re: Dozens of Covid cases linked to the Olympics

Related topic:

Russia is competing under another new name at the Tokyo Olympics, the latest fallout from the Games’ longest-running doping saga.

You won’t see the Russian flag above any podiums but the national colors are on the uniforms.

Doping cases old and new still cast a shadow over the team. Two swimmers from the Tokyo team have been suspended for cases dating back years and two rowers tested positive last month.

This time it’s not Russia, or even the Olympic Athletes from Russia. It’s the Russian Olympic Committee.

Officially the athletes will represent not their country, but the ROC, and Russia’s name, flag and anthem are banned. Critics point out that it will be hard to spot the difference when Russian teams are wearing full national colors.

https://apnews.com/article/sports-2020-tokyo-olympics-tokyo-winter-olympics-doping-31f08498823bb05c1a5e7716c2df9d16

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/18/958120783/about-80-of-japanese-think-olympic-games-should-be-canceled-or-postponed-poll-sh

About 80% Of Japanese Think Olympic Games Should Be Canceled Or Postponed, Poll Shows

https://www.bbc.com/news/57556978

A mass vaccination campaign was launched in the two biggest cities, Tokyo and Osaka, as infections rose.

As of 18 July, just over 33% of the country's population had been vaccinated with at least one dose - but less than 22% were fully vaccinated.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The article says only a fraction of the athletes/officials have arrived. Will they all mix 'n match their regional variants and then bring them back to their home countries?

Post deleted

Those 61 cases of COVID

71 now:

A report has been published on the website of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee, which says that at least nine people involved in the Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo have passed a COVID-19 test with a positive result over the past day.

It is clarified that the coronavirus was detected in one Japanese volunteer, six Japanese contractors and one foreign citizen. Among other things, the covid was confirmed by a foreign athlete who lived in the Olympic Village. He is now in quarantine for two weeks. The total number of infected has reached 71, including 31 foreigners.

This is from last Thursday:

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Thursday there was “zero” risk of Games participants infecting Japanese residents with COVID-19, as cases hit a six-month high in the host city.

Bach said Olympics athletes and delegations had undergone more than 8,000 coronavirus tests, resulting in three positive results. “Risk for the other residents of Olympic village and risk for the Japanese people is zero,” he added.

Over 90 cases now.

Guinea has backed out.

Tokyo Olympics: Guinea pulls out of Games over 'resurgence of COVID variants'

Minister of sports Sanoussy Bantama Sow says the government is "concerned with preserving the health of Guinean athletes".

North Korea is the only other country to have withdrawn from the Games, also referencing COVID-19.

Also, the IOC president said there was "zero risk" of athletes passing on the virus to local residents; yet many of the athletes (and probably other people who are inside the Olympic village) are staying at hotels. Does he think local residents don't work in the hotels?

And now there are bears around:

No fans will be able to attend this year's delayed Olympic Games due to strict Covid restrictions in Japan. But one Asian black bear defied the coronavirus guidance and ended up inside an Olympic stadium before players took to the field.

The bear was spotted on two occasions on Wednesday, just before the opening softball match between Japan and Australia.

Post deleted

Pfizer had said they would provide the vaccine for all the athletes, since some are coming from countries that don't have enough vaccines yet. I don't know why that didn't end up happening:

Thursday, May 06, 2021

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to donate doses of the companies’ COVID-19 Vaccine to help vaccinate athletes, and their delegations, participating in the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020, which are scheduled to begin on July 23, 2021.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-covid-19-vaccine-doses-olympic

Post deleted

That excerpt was from May 6, though, so there was enough time for it to take effect. It would've been difficult to get it to all the athletes around the world, but I wonder if they were able to give it to any athletes at all in countries with sparse vaccine access.

Post deleted

I remember one athlete saying he wouldn't get the vaccine. I didn't know there were others. Obviously it's too late now, in terms of the Olymipcs.

Post deleted

I knew a lot weren't vaccinated, but I didn't know so many were refusing it when it was offered.

It’s too late to cancel because I’m pretty sure the opening ceremony is on Friday. They’ve already invested obscene amounts of money into running this olympics after a full year delay. At this point they have to run it and just hope it doesn’t become a massive superspreader event.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Exactly, they're risking it for the money.

at least there is no audience allowed.

suck it.

That's one smart thing they did.

It sounds like they're going to have videos of fans around the venues. Also, "Recordings of stadium noise from previous Olympic Games will be pumped into venues to give the athletes at least the idea of a crowd responding to what they are doing."

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-2020-virtual-cheers-and-piped-in-stadium-noise-five-ways-fans-will-be-involved-in-the-games-12357771

Some of the features include a ‘Fan Video Matrix’ allowing fans to share their reactions to the sporting action in five-second video selfies, which will be displayed as a video matrix inside the venue.

In addition, a virtual ‘cheer’ button will be embedded on several broadcasters’ digital platforms as part of a ‘Cheer Map’. The system collects all the cheers and renders a global map of ‘cheer activity’. The map is sent as a video stream to broadcasters and showcased on venue video boards.

Furthermore, at selected venues, Olympians will be able to interact live, straight after their competition with their family and friends back home through dedicated ‘Athlete Moment’ stations.

https://insidersport.com/2021/07/12/tokyo-2020-olympic-organisers-aim-for-unprecedented-broadcast-coverage/

oh yeah i've read about this. i'm curious how this will look on TV when i'm watching the games…

suck it.

It should be interesting! Which sports do you watch?

all of them.

suck it.

And the olympic village is always an orgy so it’s unavoidable.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Lol yup

suck it.

Sport and disease have been linked up forever, this is nothing new.

At the first Olympics many of the athletes had smallpox and cholera, and they still competed. That was real sportsmanship.

A shotput guy from Latvia at those games did better because his lungs were pressured by double pneumonia to work harder. It actually increased his performance, look it up.

So if anything, people lucky enough to get COVID should do very well at the olympics.

Very insightful, Fatlerian.

Thanks. It's TheFatlerian, but thanks.

I once competed in a mixed martial arts match in a Wendy's parking lot with full-blown scurvy. I hadn't eaten a vegetable in monhs, and could barely see.

I still won, given my ability to draw oxygen from various parts of my body, a skilled I learned doing my phd in health matters.

Why so formal? You don't have to write my full username when you address me. I'll call you Fatty and you can call me Cryssy, Rainy, Dropsy, etc.

Post deleted

Dropsy is another name for edema, the abnormal swelling of tissues from a buildup of fluid.

Post deleted

Yes, but dropsy
Hey, I said you could call me Dropsy, but at least capitalize the D!

Post deleted

Post deleted

Reply in my fun memory game thread! Almost everyone here is either an extreme prude or has a bad memory.

I would fall into the last one since I am not a prude and asked you to take a look at what I am wearing!

I admit that I made up bullshit about you WarrenPeace and I am sorry. - Friendo in a PM to me.

Hi!

Lol

suck it.

I saw him first! I signaled my interest by eyeing him up in a most provocative manner!

Women have been fighting over men for thousands of years, that's why scientifically men are smarter, because they are thinking big thoughts while women scheme and fight over going to bed with him and having his babies.

It's evolution. I learned this from a famous German criminal psychologist who stayed with me in my tent below the underpass.

Who said anything about babies?? Ain't nobody got time for dat shit. We'll give all of our babies to Sophie.

noooooo i hate children

suck it.

We'll give them to ToastedCheese then.

poor babies. no. we don't. we'll give them to Pinky. she has already adopted me. she's a good mom.

or rather, u'll give them to Pinky. 😂

suck it.

That's fine with me!

Now where did Fatlerian go?

jerking off, perhaps? boys are weird like that

suck it.

Our posts turned him on?