Roger Moore : Ageing James Bond

Ageing James Bond

Why did they repleace Sean Connery with an actor older than him in the movie series?

Re: Ageing James Bond

1.) He he was previously concidered for the role.
2.) He was an already established household name which they probably demanded after the relatively unknown Lazenby.
3.) Cubby liked him in the role of Simon Templar.
4.) In actual fact it was commented at the time that Moore brought a more youthful appearance to the role after Connery !
5.) He had his own hair.

And at 85, he still has his own (receding) hair.

Yes, Moore looked a lot younger in LIVE AND LET DIE than Connery did in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

Connery looked a bit out of shape in that movie whereas Moore seemed a very trim and youthful 46 in LALD.

Plus as the other poster said, he was previously already on the Bond shortlist and had the experience of doing THE SAINT.

And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I just watched a View to a Kill remembering that it was his last Bond film in '85, but I was curious to see how old he was. Absolutely shocked he was 58!! IMO he was the best Bond of them all.

Honestly I love that he did Bond for so long, that never happens today, when one of your favorite actors just gets to keep playing a character regardless of their age, and their was something heroic about old Bond going against the soviets. They'll even drop Patrick Stewart as Professor X these days.

"Will there ever be a boy born that can swim faster than a shark?"

Even though Roger did look old, he still looked great for his age and i still thought he did a great job in A View To A Kill. Glad he still holds the record for doing the most bond films (not counting Sean Connery's extra film he did in 1983, Never Say Never Again, i never considered that to be part of the bond series)

"Pass The Parcel. That's Sometimes All You Can Do" - The History Boys

I grew up watching Roger Moore as Bond. I remember seeing The Spy Who Loved Me, my first Bond at the cinema, and it was out of this world for a 6 year old boy. It never occurred to me then, or in the later films, that Roger Moore was old.
Maybe things change and stars and action heroes are younger these days but Roger back then seemed to have more bo da0 unce than watching the Sean Connery films on TV

As many say about Roger, nobody does it better

Ha! we must be the same age. My introduction to Bond was "the spy who loved me" as well. My experience with the films echoes just what you described.

I agree with you! He didn't seem old to me either and I'm just a year younger than you. I was 5 when this came out but didn't see it in the theater. I saw it on TV as one of the Sunday Night movies they use to play way back in the late 70's and 80's.

The thing that always stuck out to me in the Roger Moore Bond films was the Opening title sequence. His were the best and in my opinion still are today!

I started at Doctor No but still Moore, to this day is the best interpetation for screen of Bond in my opinion. He's just so stunningly cavalier, just as you'd expect from someone with that kind of lifestyle. And the scripts for the movies are loaded with comic relief which in my opinion gives a lot of artistic licence as far as realism goes. And remember guys in the Spy who loved me, on the train where he just got his advances "rejected" by the russian major. He's in his cabin looking at his watch like "WTF. she should be in here by now" Classic.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

we had a 20 something bond.George Lazenby was 28 while filming On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

And how good does he look in For Your Eyes Only. Wow!
In that suit, or suits, he wears during that film, and he looks sort of dangerous and can throw a punch. Not bad for a 53-year-old!

I think he was perfect for the tongue in cheek humour of the seventies era Bond films . Every time he raises an eyebrow it cracks me up !

That which does not Kill me makes me Stranger . . .

I think he did one Bond film to many, not because of how he looked but because of the obvious stunt double used for the most basic of action scenes. He seemed to do a lot more rough n tumble stuff in Octopussy which was only two years earlier. The strange thing about Moore was he looked very youthful for his age up until The Spy Who Loved Me and then aged rapidly in the following few years. He has admitted all this himself though stating he was too old by For Your Eyes Only in 1981. A great Bond though.

I believe that Connery being replaced was not a matter of him aging, but because he wanted to stop being typecast as Bond. For this to happen, he of course had to be reluctant to do more 007 movies.

Roger moore was only 3 years older the connery

Re: Aging James Bond

An aging James Bond would be interesting. But I can't imagine the franchise going in that direction.

Re: Aging James Bond

Bond was supposed to have been a World War II veteran. Very few veterans of that war are still alive.

Something just occurred to me. All of the actors who played James Bond in the Eon Productions films are still living. Would Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig be willing to get together for an event to celebrate the history of James Bond?

At that time there was still a continuity. It made sense to cast an actor of a similar age, although they did go younger with Lazenby he looked considerably older than 29. Moore on the other hand could easily pass for 5 years younger, so after a decade of Bond films it does make sense to have a 40-ish Bond.

Also, you got to remember that Tom Cruise was 52 when he filmed the last Mission Impossible and he was hanging off planes and stuff, and Roger was younger than Cruise for his first four Bond films, so it's not really that absurd by modern standards.