Gene Hackman : Gene's top five performances?

Gene's top five performances?

Gene is one of my favourite actors and he always gives a brilliant performance. In which five films do you think he gives his best performances? For me it's the following.

1- Mississippi Burning
2- The French Connection
3- Hoosiers
4- Bat 21
5- Crimson Tide

Go to bed Frank or this is going to get ugly .

Re: Gene's top five performances?

The Conversation
Unforgiven
The Royal Tenebaums
Scarecrow
Night Moves

Great choices. Scarecrow is a totally underrated film.

1. Bonnie And Clyde
2. The French Connection
3. Mississippi Burning
4. Unforgiven
5. I Never Sang For My Father

1. The Conversation
2. Mississippi Burning
3. The French 5b4 Connection II
4. Under Suspicion
5. Twice in a Lifetime

Great choices. I think The French Connection II is just as good as the first one but hardly ever gets mentioned as much. Twice in a Lifetime is another underrated film. Personally I prefer Ellen Burstyn's performance in that over Gene's, but he is good in it though.

Great choices. I Never Sang For My Father is such a sad and powerful film. The scene where he goes round the old peoples ward at the hospital is quite disturbing to see all these old people abandoned and probably forgotten about.

Unforgiven

The Conversation

The French Connection

The Royal Tenenbaums

Night Moves

Then there's so much more - Bonnie and Clyde, Mississpi Burning, scarecrow and on and on, honestly I find it almost impossible to rank his performances, he's just such a consistently amazing actor, even in a relatively minor film like Runaway Jury he's actually fantastic - the scene he shares with Dustin Hoffman is phenomenal.

Everything was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt!

Then there's so much more - Bonnie and Clyde, Mississpi Burning, scarecrow and on and on, honestly I find it almost impossible to rank his performances, he's just such a consistently amazing actor, even in a relatively minor film like Runaway Jury he's actually fantastic - the scene he shares with Dustin Hoffman is phenomenal.

Agreed I don't think he has ever given a bad performance to be honest, even if I do like some of his films more than others.

Maddy, yes Twice in a Lifetime rarely gets mentioned in any forum. It is as good a family drama as Ordinary People which won all that praise. The scene where in the bedroom where they break up is superior acting in a real life situation. It's what these actors trained for, what they got into the Actor's Studio to accomplish. I felt more tension watching that scene than any shootout or action scene I ever saw.

The scene where in the bedroom where they break up is superior acting in a real life situation. It's what these actors trained for, what they got into the Actor's Studio to accomplish. I felt more tension watching that scene than any shootout or action scene I ever saw.

Abso b68 lutely. That is one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen and they are both excellent in that moment.

i dont have top5 but how come no body mentioned his performance in the quick and the dead that was unforgettable performance

Yup and also enemy of the state he was really good.

The Royal Tenenbaums
Unforgiven
Get Shorty
Mississippi Burning
The French Connection

What impresses me about him is that many of his best performances were toward the end of his career. Not to bash others, but look at his last 10-12 years to the most recent work of guys like De Niro, Pacino, Hoffman and Nicholson. He got better and better as others repeated themselves or just took paycheck roles.

LEADING ROLE

1. The Conversation
2. The French Connection
3. Scarecrow
4. French Connection II
5. Mississippi Burning

SUPPORTING ROLE

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Unforgiven
3. Bonnie And Clyde
4. Under Fire
5. Heartbreakers

"Thank God For Darwin"

My personal favorites, in no particular order

Unforgiven
Superman 2
The Quick And The Dead
Runaway Jury
Enemy Of The State

The Conversation
Unforgiven
Get Shorty
The Royal Tenenbaums
The French Connection

Whichever movies Gene is yelling at folks.

1. Unforgiven
2. The Conversation
3. Scarecrow
4. The Royal Tenenbaums
5. French Connection II

Unforgiven
The Conversation
Young Frankenstein
The Royal Tenenbaums
The French Connection