Power Rangers : Did the old Power Rangers movie flop?

Did the old Power Rangers movie flop?

Power Rangers seemed massive when I was a kid and it was really, it's practically a household name and I've seen it said that the show had fantastic ratings and all that.

So I was always surprised to see the old 1995 movie only made $38 million in the US or in today's money $74 million.

It's a decent amount but it's not exactly a lot is it? It was the 45th highest grossing movie of the year. It opened at #4. Plus they never actually did a proper sequel.

Was it a disappointment then? Power Rangers kinda faded away pretty quickly from its peak so had its time already passed somewhat by the time it came out?

Re: Did the old Power Rangers movie flop?

I'd imagine so. Reportedly the tv show's soft reboot into Power Rangers Zeo was an attempt to revitalize the franchise the way the film was intended to.

Half-Blood 15
After all, tomorrow is another day ~ Gone with the Wind

The first movie was a financial success, while Turbo flopped in theaters.

It wasn't that much of a financial success. Especially seeing as back in 1995, the Power Rangers were the IT superheroes of kids back then.

It did indeed

Super Sentai is 100,000 times better than Power Rangers!

Never seen Turbo, never cared. I was done with Power Rangers by that time.

Never seen Turbo, never cared. I was done with Power Rangers by that time.

You're done with Power Rangers when Turbo Started?
But YOU'VE MISSED GREAT SEASONS LIKE TIME FORCE AND IN SPACE AND RPM
Take off your Nostalgia Goggles and Give In Space and Time Force and RPM a Chance

You're done with Power Rangers when Turbo Started?
But YOU'VE MISSED GREAT SEASONS LIKE TIME FORCE AND IN SPACE AND RPM
Take off your Nostalgia Goggles and Give In Space and Time Force and RPM a Chance

I know right? Of all the things to be a blind nostalgic fanboy over...why Power Rangers? If you wanted to be objective, the earlier seasons are the worst from a production standpoint, an acting standpoint and a storytelling standpoint. In Space is when it got legitimate on a storytelling front imo. And Time Force and RPM are the pinnacle on a competence level.

Uuuuh I can agree that the story telling got much better, but as far as acting goes, it ALL just bad. There are seasons that did a better job at story telling, but as a kid watching from season one to turbo, it was HARD to stick with it. Turbo was hot GARBAGE. I went back this year and watched In space and wished I had stuck with it as a child because I would have liked it more. Obviously as an adult it's difficult to watch, but the way the concluded Zordon's story was great. There are other seasons (RPM for sure) that made an effort to tell a refreshing story. Some of the other seasons are just painful to try to sit through with my kids, but I'm trying to watch them all.... trying.

That's also why I don't understand how someone can see the movie trailer and think that any season looked better then the movie, because the show (even though I have a strong affection towards it) is really bad.

I throw de cards. De cards go boom! End of bad guy. End of story.

I think by the time the movie came out the show was already loosing it's appeal. The second half of Season Two wasn't exactly stellar with the loss of Jason, Trini and Zack and the dumbing down of Zedd, Rita and Goldar.

The first movie was a mediocre success but the second one was completely forgettable.

It wasn't a massive hit but on a 15 million dollar budget it's 66+ million dollar world wide gross certainly generated a profit, especially when you consider the vhs copies and merchandise they undoubtedly sold on top of the theatrical performance of the movie. It wasn't until Turbo that the series stopped being profitable.

Is Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997) not considered a sequel? I never bothered watching it since I was pretty much done after Power Rangers Zeo (1996) ended.

I would say that Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995) was a huge success. Everybody I knew went to go see it in theaters multiple times. You have to remember, it only played for one month from June 30th - July 27th, 1995.

And, don't forget the massive amount of sales they made from merchandise. I'd have to say they pretty much profited from that alone.

Technically is probably is a sequel but it's not a proper sequel like what I mean. It seemed like a smaller made for TV movie that had a decent sized released in theatres is all.

Like the TV series they still used the footage from the old Super Dental series whereas with the original movie all the costumes and CGI and all that was American made for the movie.

The first movie is a stand alone adventure featuring a group of power rangers, but a lot of changes were made to make it "cinematic".

Turbo was a continuation of the show and directly affected the show, unlike the first film which was set in a different universe.

Turbo was a continuation of the show and directly affected the show, unlike the first film which was set in a different universe.

Christ, this nonsense again. The first film does not take place in a different universe. Some minor and inconsequential changes does not make the film some alternate reality version. Why are fans so anal-retentive about the stupidest sh!t?

Hardly minor changes. Unless you're suggesting that the rangers gained Ninja powers from two different sources?

In the kingdom of the blind, you're the village idiot.

Hardly minor changes. Unless you're suggesting that the rangers gained Ninja powers from two different sources?

I'm suggesting PR continuity is hardly anything solid or concrete. There is no reason to make the film complicated with nitpicky fanboy nonsense. There is no reason the film can't be viewed as a one-off adventure in continuity of the show.

And you just explained it yourself. Two different sources. Two different sets of ninja powers.

Yes it did

Super Sentai is 100,000 times better than Power Rangers!

-Yes, the movie flopped, and while the film got descent advertising from companies such as McDonalds, Soda Brands like 7-up, Ban-Dai, etc...the film had a week opening weekend (due to a crowded summer of films in 1995), lets also not forget the re-shoots that took place, they never reached the end of principal photaography after they burned through so much money and needed an additional 6-8+ million to finish the film in time for its theatrical release. For those that don't know, the director (who only had experience in directing TV Sitcoms) stupidly and deceivingly so came up with the idea to have the rangers visors and mouth-plates be absent so they (the rangers) could emote emotion....which was just eff'n stupid. Therefore, 2/3rds of the film had to be re-shot with the visors, mouth-plates reintegrated. Along with adding in the Tengu Warriors in exchange of those horrible & giant-as$$ rat monsters.

I always said that this film should've came out around Thanksgiving. The film was still in the middle of re-shoots by Jan/Feb 1995. So that tells you the studio talent had no idea how to make a successful product. Even though if it did recoup costs from home video rentals/sales.

The sad thing is, this film could've been much more successful but that issue came down to one element, imo...FOX!