Dean Martin : Better than Sinatra

Better than Sinatra

I think Dean Martin personifies what a lot of us think a crooner is dark, handsome, charming, pleasant and fun loving. Sinatra was often too angry, a bit too smug and looked like he tried too hard. Martin made it all look simple and easy. The audience respected Sinatra, but they adored Martin. Sinatra may have wanted everyone at his parties, but everyone wanted Dean at theirs.

Re: Better than Sinatra

½ Spoon + ½ Fork + ½ Knife

I disagree.

Sinatra was an asshole, but was a better singer, and a better actor imho. He won a best supporting Oscar for his role in From Here to Eternity.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon!

HE SPILLED HIS DRINK!

½ Spoon + ½ Fork + ½ Knife

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon!

thats talcum powder

Smells like ass in here

I'm going to agree with you about this. (sorry MovieMan!) I've always loved Dean's voice and concur with everything you said about him. There is a warmth, sincerity and humor in his voice that I felt Sinatra didn't have. I like Frankie a lot, but I love Dean.

Dean Martin was the one that everyone wanted to be like. I think Sinatra envied Martin's charm and easy going humor.

What do you think about Gerry Lewis, hana?

Not much. I enjoy the movies he made with Martin, but I don't really enjoy him.

It felt like Sinatra tried too hard to be cool during the Rat Pack years. His jokes often fell flat and it's like he was trying hard to be funny but didn't possess a natural sense of humor like Dean Martin. Martin was everything a crooner was supposed to be; handsome, witty and funny.

Obviously he's better! Wanna know how you can tell? It's the opposite of what MoviemanCin2 believes, so ya know it's true.

Martin was effortlessly cool and smooth. Sinatra was a bit more rough around the edges. I admire Martin's "sit back and relax" approach to life [as well as his music and movies].

"Frank wanted everyone at his parties. Everyone wanted Dean at theirs." That sums it up.

Dean Martin was in Cannonball Run with Sammy Davis Jr. Doesn’t get much cooler than that. Also had my favorite line “Cuz you’re small, small, S-M-all.”

Dino was better than everyone. Simply the best.

Absolutely, 100% agree! He was just amazing. I listen to him just about every day.

Never a huge fan of Sinatra. He gave himself an image, which many who liked male crooners related too, but I found him cold not cool and forced. Martin came across as a much warmer and more genuinely humorous personality.

Sinatra had stirring orchestrations to help prop him too. I don't find him that great a singer.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?