The Great Beauty : Am I the only one who found it boring and didn't like it?

Re: Am I the only one who found it boring and didn't like it?

I'm Italian and I find it unbearably bad.

I'm Italian and I think it's a masterpiece.

Nope. You are not the only one. I like artsy movies and quirky movies and am not a big fan of Hollywood shlock. But even I found this film boring. I found the camera work and soundtrack amazing. But failed to get into the film. I kept forcing my self to understand it and get into it but failed to get into it in the end.

Opinions about movies are like a**holes - everyone has one. It doesn't mean one opinion is more or less valid.

Those of us who found the movie a self-indulgent piece of pretentious Fellini parody are just entitled to our opinion as those who are so culturally advanced they "got" it.

We're just uneducated buffoons who don't "get" the average MTV music vids with unconnected, random scenes available 24-7.

Oh, and just for us, they threw in a 104-year-old nun who tells us "roots are important", just so we aren't left behind. Har har. What a knee slapper.

Well, I would up getting it on blue ray and watching the film a few more times and will have to back track on my original negative review and opinion. The film is actually very very good and very intelligently made. Its possible that the theatre and the people around me totally influenced my opinion of the film when i first watched it.

Anyways, now I am totally baffled by how some people are interpretting this film as "how wonderful Italian art is". it is the saddest film I have seen all year. The entire film is about decedence of modern society and the artificiality of the class systems we create within them.

You can see it right at the beginning in the second scene where the rich and and famous are dancing are partying it up. The scene shows and cuts to a stripper who is dancing in a room separated by glass. She is dancing in complete silence in the room all you hear is the musical motif. Her role is the scene and the society is to entertain and observe the rich and famous but not to partake in their lifestyle. This is pretty much carried right through the film. The film is all about getting rid of decedance and going back to humanity back to religion.

Try LETTING yourself into it, rather than FORCING. It worked for me. The aid of a hash reefer was providential, too. :)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Yes. I totally agree with you. Very good points.

<>
About Elly.Asghar Farhadi

You do know that your points are exactly the points that the movie itself makes at the end, and that your interpretation of this supposed "epiphany" (which actually isn't an epiphany at all, but a change that slowly happens through the whole movie's length) is definitely wrong, don't you?
And you do realize that your remark "A movie should show, not tell" is laughable at best, and complete nonsense at worst? You do know that, right? Or you want me to tell you why? There should be no need for me to tell you that, because a person with your level of culture and such knowledge of film-making, and who can spell Fellini correctly, doesn't need me to tell him that a film can be made in thousands different ways, it can show, tell, lie, twist things around, drag for 4 hours or say everything it needed to say in 15 minutes. No film-maker on earth would read your comment and take it seriously, you do realize that, don't you?

For your sake, I hope you do.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Another little ignorant runs for cover. Eheh.

No, of course you're not. There are always one or two of you that will find it boring too. So no, you're not alone.

Dear Ana, Thanks for your reply. Red-125

Yeahfound it boring.

Not alone. My sister and I started it and we both fell asleep while they were all talking on the patio about a half hour - 45 minutes in. Turned it off after we woke up and went back to Babylon 5 where we are up to season 5.

this movie is a waist of money ( i mean the production money)! it is about nothing, about mindless senseless ugly people.
Rome - is ok, but not the movie made it! the huge score just shows us one more time how shallow most of the people are, and when they do not understand something they raise it's merits to the sky

this movie is a waist of money ( i mean the production money)! it is about nothing, about mindless senseless ugly people.
Rome - is ok, but not the movie made it! the huge score just shows us one more time how shallow most of the people are, and when they do not understand something they raise it's merits to the sky

So far the movie's grossed over $23 million and has won many awards, including an Oscar for best foreign film. Hardly a waste.

you're not the only one.I found it painfully boring and monotonous and also highly pretentiousmind numbing..

All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

I have a blind spot for this movie. I loved some of the scenes especially the scenes involving the creation of art and those involving Santa but the movie as a whole was overlong, confusing and a bit dull. It's a mystery to me that it won so many awards.

"am I the only one"? No, no, everybody agrees with you! Satisfied? But in fact, this is a masterpiece of cinematic retrospection.

It was beautiful but very very slow. I kept thinking what it would be at a film festival with a designer dress sitting through this long long meeting.

I tohught the movie was boring with momentsof insight. I thought there were a lot of moments that could have been cut out. Trust me, I get the point the movie was trying to make but it could have made it's point then less than two hours.
When i orginally finished watching the movie i remembered thinking well that was OKAY but a bit of a let down, upon thinking about it i did find i liked how it kind of played like a novel which was funny considering the main character wrote a novellete , not to mention that whole novel conversation with that guy's wife but, yeah i think the movie was just okay. Probably wouldn't watch it again though..

No, you're not alone.

Dear Anahitash, Thanks for writing. You and I agree completely about this movie. So, I'm not the only one who found
it boring! Sincerely, Red-125

It's not surprising that many people found it boring due to lack of "story", or think their "opinions" mean much. But I don't. get why so many jackasses went to watch this movie in the first place. It's like going to Prado museum and complaining they didnt have a cut out of Transformers, or going to a gourmet restaurant and complaining the menu didnt have grits.

Dear JLB, Thanks for your reply. I didn't understand exactly the thrust of your comments. Did you enjoy the movie or not?
Incidentally, when we were last in Madrid, we spent five days at the Prado. I hope you are not comparing La grande bellezza to one of the greatest art museums in the world. Red-125

Actually, I thought it captured perfectly the fatuous posturing of the modern "art" world. The cinematography of the various scenes in Rome couldn't save it from vapid pomposity masquerading as "style." No wonder Hollywood liked it.

Dear 2jvd, Thanks for writing. I guess that makes two of us who didn't like it! Red-125

agree with you completely ..

I found it a bit boring for the first 45 min's or so but then after he put Stefanie in her place I liked it. I stayed with it for the remainder and I'm glad I did. I thought it was a fine film.

I'm italian and I don't think this movie accomplishes ANYTHING in an artistic, narrative or technical way. It's just a mediocre, overrated movie that won an Oscar thanks to favours, politics and internal hollywood dynamics that we'll never be aware of.

VIVA LA VINYL

Disagree, I think maybe is a film for older audiences as it verses about growing old and nostalgic over the things you did with your life and what you came to realize about your country, the place you live, the people you used to know and your expectations about them. The whole 'king of mundane' take is quite brilliant is you ask me, as you get to know characters in their 60-something that act beside the movie cliches or stereotypes of the older people you normally get in other movies. It too has great stunning visuals of Rome both indoor and outdoors, that go great with the idea of this 2500~ years old decadent city that's basically a palimpsest of every aspect of italian and also western society.

I feel that, after Andrea demise, the movie pacing gets really interesting, as Jep starts thereafter to break all of his own mundanity rules which I think is an awesome take on the whole subject

I get the feeling that you may also find it boring because of cultural differences. Maybe is a movie about latin heritage and it hits home better if you belong to that culture.

Well anyways, those are my reasons to enjoy this movie a lot.

About 40 minutes into the movie I realized it wasn't going to "go" anywhere. There was no big question to be resolved. But I had enjoyed what I had seen so far and I had plenty of beer so I watched and enjoyed the rest of it. Yeah, it was slow, but it was pretty.

I went to see the film with loving expectation. I love Italian films and I love the mediterranian shores. But unfortunately I disliked 'La Grande Bellezza'. Ramona and the man whose dead wife loved an other were the only people who, to me, showed a little humanity. Oh yes, and the little girl who was forced to create an art painting.

I guess I'd better go and re-watch Fellini's and Pasolini's wonderful films (all but Salo).

-I don;t discriminate between entertainment
and arthouse. A film is a goddam film.-

the humanity

I would also recommend re-watching La Grande Bellezza, since humanity is there in abundance in the panoply of characters, especially as witnessed and appreciated through Jep's shifting POV as his story evolves.

Re: the humanity

I thought it was a masterpiece.

Re: the humanity

No thanks, maybe after ten years. I don't need the confrontation with the leading man whom I disliked that soon again.

-I don't discriminate between entertainment
and arthouse. A film is a goddam film.-

"I think just the director of photography and production design did a good job to make beautiful scenes and with some beautiful songs."

A good looking movie with good design, cinematography, and good music, those three reasons are good reasons to see a movie.
It's an art film about a lead character and his friends in their 50s.
I read he was supposed be to a novelist, ended up a writer for a newspaper.
So he's successful at what he does, but maybe he wishes he really was a novelist, and then there's the girl that he didn't marry.
I've only seen one other Italian movie, Gomorra, a gangster movie about the Calabrian mafia. It was okay, but it was a dark, violent movie.
I liked The Great Beauty more.
And weird performance artist Talia Concept was funny.

Yeah I didn't like it much either. It had its moments but it failed to captivate me, and I did not find the characters to be likeable or relateable at all.

I loved this movie. Yes, it is slow and rambling, but I would not call it boring.

As for the great debates that this thread has sparked, I thought about wading into them. Initially, I thought about making some grand claims about art or proving that some people are philistines with no taste or powers of observation. I started to consider what I might say about the Academy and how it dispenses its honors. However, I recall Jep saying something to the effect that it is waste of time to do things one really doesn't want to do. So I think I might just take my quiet leave of this discussion, and that is why I love this movie.

it is very boring, very very boring, and they are italian!

Beautiful cinematography, fantastic parties, swimming in style, gorgeous music, etc, but there seemed so little to engage with any of the characters that I found it boring and superficial. Total eye candy and little else. Maybe I just didn't get it!

But the movie itself wasn't touchable to me at all.

Mostly I feel the same way. I guess the director was afraid of it too, thus party scenes, art scenes, profanities, scherzo here and there.. tits here and there.. I guess he thought people would find that interesting. for people potrayed in this movie that don't work but spent their days drinking and doing drugs, they are way too much preocuppied with life pains - that is unrealistic.
irratic change of histeric babbling characters is annoying, but i guess they like that in italy. I've seen that on Italian TV - RAI and Mediaset is full of it.

on the bright side, the ending was nice and there are no rape-like scenes that modern european "art" flicks are so full neither there are disgusting scenes or utterly boring long scenes which makes it somewhat watchable.

I can see why you felt that way,it is very long, stylised, no plot etc but people like different films for different reasons. Some people would find this boring, some would say they like it to try and sound clever and some will genuinely like it.

I was confused and a bit annoyed during the film but days afterwards, Im still thinking about it. I think it's how Toni Servillo played Jep that I love, there is a real sadness in everything about this film that, days later, is still making me think and making me feel mournful and reflective. The nun saying about roots, the flamingo's flying away after she exhales, the connection between Jep and his friend, the one he brought down a peg or two at the party but then they are so gentle with each other when they are dancing in the park. I also thought it was hilarious when he was interviewing the rubbish performance artist. No, don't tell me that, tell me exactly what a vibration is. Oh, you don't know, cool. I genuinely loved it.

Each to their own I guess. My husband fell asleep!

I really appreciated your shared reflections and feelings about the film, Lamorna. The one thing I would mention is that it did have a plot, just not the kind of plot that is foregrounded and direct: A blatantly leads to B which blatantly leads to C. Nevertheless, you could still chart the plot in the conventional way, with defined act breaks, crisis, climax, and so on.

Jep is a reluctant hero. He hears the call, but resists it. But early on we see who he is undernearth the carefree, superficial bachelor. That he has not stopped yearning for, and insisting on, beauty and truth. In the meanwhile, he is subject to certain influences, is pushed in a certain direction, all of which accumulate. Soon he begins to more overtly push in a certain direction himself. And then the plot begins to condense. It's not so elliptical then.

Before then, it was a related series of indirect influences, yet which still occurred because of Jep's underlying desire. Jep is attracted to and repulsed by certain things; he's actually quite passionate underneath the facade of idleness and indifference. This can't help but move him in a certain direction.

Anyway, I think this kind of plot progression is more faithful to life, which is one reason why it is has the effect you describe. It gets under the skin, rather than a plot that goes for the direct approach the whole way. I almost always find that with the subtler approach I relate more deeply to the characters.

This is so true. I get frustrated watching 'plot-y' films - as if those things would ever happen in that way in life, it makes the whole experience so unrelateable. But with a film like this, one that meanders around, it's much more realistic and calls to you (or me, anyway) on a deeper level. As you say, it has got under my skin. Even the end credits, just drifting down the river under all the bridges, and the score. Lovely.

Oh, those end credits, Lamorna. I could have drifted along for a while longer. What a perfect ending.

If you found it boring you have every right to do so and I do understand why some people would find it so. This is a very 'marmite' type of film - people have different tastes - so what? I personally found it extremely beautiful and loved every minute of it. What I do find offensive is the people on here that say that those who like it are just trying to be sophisticated or that there is an element of 'the emperors new clothes'. Well I would like to say that I have no interest in being sophisticated - I like very many different genres of film and all have their merits. To me this film was beautiful and in my simple opinion - a masterpiece.

The Hunt was also running for best foreign film that year and lost against this pretentious two hour video clip. Servillo is not Mastroianni, and Sorrentino is not Fellini.

The film tries to be serious and trascendental. It's not. Spectators struggle with money for the rent, they won't feel empathy for a 65 year old journalist who has it all and just cries because his first girlfriend was dead. Who cares? We don't care about people partying for 20 minutes, just like the filmmakers didn't care about the Chinese tourist who dies of a heart attack at the beginning of the movie.

A total waste of time.

Javier H. Moreno
www.cacaorock.com