The Feminine Touch : Rosalind over Kay?

Rosalind over Kay?

Really, i thought Kay Francis was more attractive than Russell, and even her character was better. For Van Heflin to prefer her over Kate was ridiculous..I know that Russell was the top star with Ameche, so she had to get preferred. Rosalind,i find sort of an awkward figure. She is tall, and lanky, not to feminine in my eyes..although, she is a talented actress...The movie was also ridiculous..

Re: Rosalind over Kay?

Kay does look pretty good in this film, but acts better. This is fairly late in her career. Bette Davis was getting her old types of roles.
But Kay seems to fit this later kind of pacing and "look". Her starring films look so old and static now. And the dumb clothes!
I guess it was unthinkable for her to go into supporting roles, but she was very good, and should be better remembered.

Right, Kay Francis should be better remembered today. She's a fantastic screen presence that the camera loved. No one wore clothes better than Kay! She certainly holds her own against more respected and revered Rosalind Russell in this film!

He was on Planet Earth the whole time! hairrise.gif

buxtehude99 says > I guess it was unthinkable for her to go into supporting roles, but she was very good, and should be better remembered.
Kay Francis went from being the seductress in many of her earlier movies to playing wife and mother roles and, like in this movie, the woman chasing the man. Those tended to be supporting roles but not always.

From what I've heard a lot of actors had a hard time finding roles that appealed to them as they got older. Even the big-name stars had to fight to stay relevant.

Thanks to TCM, and other networks that air older movies, Kay Francis and other actors from that era have become known to new audiences. As long as their movies keep running we'll never forget them.

Woman, man! That's the way it should be Tarzan. [Tarzan and his mate]

IMHO This was a terrible role for Russell -- completely wrong fit. I love her work but she just can't play the airhead, ditzy, ding-bat babe. I was taken aback by how badly written this film was and yet it had a very capable cast. Too bad . . .

I was about to start watching this film and I came here to get an idea if it was worth while. It doesn't sound very appealing. I know what you're saying about RR, I do think she's a competent actress but she's not what I consider a girly girl. This film sounds like it was miscast. Maybe I'll catch it another time.

bruno-32 says > Really, i thought Kay Francis was more attractive than Russell, and even her character was better.
I understand what you're saying but if the roles were switched; meaning Kay in the Julie role and Rosalind in the Nellie role, that wouldn't have worked any better. Neither woman seemed to fit the type of role they were playing.

That said, we have to take the movie in context. Julie had to be an attractive woman who got a lot of attention from men. Rosalind wasn't an unattractive woman though she also wasn't a sexpot. That didn't matter.

At an all-male college she would have stood out because there wouldn't have been many other women around. The fact she was the professor's wife might have also given her a certain appeal to the students. In public places, a lot of men can be counted on to whistle at anything in a skirt and heels so that part was also believable.

Elliott's attraction to Julie wasn't about looks. She was forbidden fruit; she was a challenge and getting her would be a conquest. It would prove to him he was better than John. Nellie was way too available to interest him; there was no element of chase. This is why he was more interested in her when he was finally going to lose her. It helped that he had also come to his senses about chasing someone who didn't want him.

Your premise is all wrong. There was never a head-to-head competition between the women. John met and fell in love with his wife for reasons other than her looks and was not interested in trading her in for Nellie. Elliott was attracted to Julie because she was a new, shiny 'toy'; a distraction. It was all a game for him; not only was she married but she wasn't the type to be charmed into an affair. The fact her husband practically pushed them together believing nothing would happen only made the challenge more interesting.

Woman, man! That's the way it should be Tarzan. [Tarzan and his mate]