General Hospital : BREAKING NEWS: Prospect Park lawsuit dismissed; ABC regain rights…

BREAKING NEWS: Prospect Park lawsuit dismissed; ABC regain rights…

http://soapcentral.com/soapcentral/news/2016/1202-abc_prospect_park_suit_dismissed.php">http://soapcentral.com/soapcentral/news/2016/1202-abc_prospect_park_suit_dismissed.php

ABC soap fans are finally getting closure: the infamous lawsuit Prospect Park hurled against the network in 2013 has been dismissed.
A very long behind-the-scenes soap opera drama has finally come to a close. The multi-million dollar breach of contract lawsuit Prospect Park aimed at American Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) back in 2013 was dismissed on December 1 – meaning ABC once again owns the rights to All My Children and One Life to Live.

As fans may recall, Prospect Park bought the rights to both daytime shows when ABC cancelled the series in 2011. The production company kept the fan favorite shows alive by giving them a home on the online network TOLN. However, during the two-year transition time and in the years following their 2013 online debut (and eventual cancellation shortly thereafter), major drama ensued.

Prospect Park launched a lawsuit against ABC in 2013 that claimed the network broke their licensing agreement, inked long-term agreements with OLTL actors to prevent them from appearing on the online version of the show, killed off OLTL characters only meant to be on loan to General Hospital, and deliberately attacked Prospect Park's efforts to continue AMC and OLTL online.

MORE ABC NEWS: GH responds to Vanessa Marcil return rumors
Furthermore, the licensing agreement ABC and Prospect Park first entered into in July 2011 gave Prospect Park exactly 12 months to put together online versions of the shows, after which the production company would be given the exclusive right to produce 15 seasons of each show. The agreement was amended in January 2012 to state that if Prospect Park didn't produce the shows for 18 straight months, the rights to both shows would revert back to ABC. Part of the lawsuit included Prospect Park fighting that amendment, mainly due to the fact that the company suspended both series after approximately 40 episodes online. In short, the lawsuit dismissal means ABC has officially regained the rights to AMC and OLTL.

"I can confirm that Prospect Park's lawsuit was dismissed yesterday and ABC regained the rights to those shows," says Susan Klein, an attorney with Valle Makoff LLP who represented ABC in the suit, tells soapcentral.com.

However, there's no cause for major celebration just yet. While ABC has repossession of the shows, there is no indication that the network plans to re-launch either series – now or any time in the future.

This story is still developing. Please check back for further updates and official comments if/when they occur.

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Prospect Park lawsuit dismissed; ABC regain rights…

Bring back Alcazar!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Yes! Resolve the Alcazar/Tomas Delgado thing!

YES!

Yes, that would be a def plot twist to resolve.

Also bring back McBain to clash w Jordan and out w Finn! Then explain the whole Finn-McBain-Silas-vampire look alike thing.

If Fin goes what about poor Roxy?

It's called soup.

I was just going to post the same thing. Good thing I refreshed the page first before posting.

Get rid of Franco bring back todd

Time for Susan Lucci to come back to daytime!!

I 2nd that! Todd was awesome

Yes, Franco needs to go and Todd needs to return.

I'm not expecting anything to come from this but can you imagine what the show would look like now if they had never lost those characters in the first place? The bad storylines and characters we could have spared? If only.

Soooooo…recasts for Franco and Finn or are we due for another murder whodunit storyline to get them off the canvas? Cause no way they don't use Todd and McBain respectively now that they can.

Also the lawsuit prevented All My Children characters, oddly enough. But with it dismissed, Anna and David Hayward reunion anyway?

In any case…drinks on me!

I like Finn but I really liked Mcbain. Sam has only been likable with him.

But with it dismissed, Anna and David Hayward reunion anyway?

Vincent Irizarry is on Days of Our Lives now

Vincent Irizarry is on Days of Our Lives now

Dammit! *shakes fist to the sky* Oh if I only I watched other soaps to know such things.

Maybe a cameo, I don't, I kinda liked them together.

Rip off the Franco mask, Todd.

I'd welcome John McBain back, too.

Rip off the Franco mask, Todd.

YES!!!

Soooooo…recasts for Franco and Finn or are we due for another murder whodunit storyline to get them off the canvas? Cause no way they don't use Todd and McBain respectively now that they can.

In 5, 4, 3, 2…

I will miss the connection between Franco and Scott because I think Roger and Kin have great chemistry and could pass for being related

When in Port Charles, be sure to visit youtube.com/altadave27

I could be wrong, but I don't think GH will bring back Todd (and McBain). Too much time has passed. It was cool when OLTL just went off the air that Cartini was able to continue the legacy by bringing over a handful of OLTLers to GH, but OLTL has been off ABC for 5 years (and it's been over 3 years since Prospect Park's TOLN OLTL and AMC attempts).

That said, I would prefer Todd over Franco. To me, RH is Todd and James Franco is Franco (they based the character on him for goodness sakes).

Again, I could be wrong but I seriously doubt ABC will do a mad rush to bring OLTL/AMC characters into GH, like some people are hoping/wanting. GH has troubles of its own that need to be fixed before it turns into an amalgamation of every past ABC soap.

GH has troubles of its own that need to be fixed before it turns into an amalgamation of every past ABC soap.

They can change their name to General Megasoap.

All My Hope for Loving One Life in The City Named Port Charles, Generally

All My Hope for Generally Loving One Life in the City of Dark Night Named Port Charles or AMHGLOLCDNPC.

I think there's been enough bitching on outlets like this that they realize Todd is way more pop a character than Franco- sane w McBain as the signature character for Easton.

We actually need a good cop.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The moment Irizarry leaves his other gig they need to snatch him up as David. A David-Robert-Anna triangle cd be epic.

ABOUT. TIME.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABOUT. TIME.

About time for what? The lawsuit was dismissed, but ABC has not indicated they are bringing back AMC or OLTL or even want to or even bring any of the character to GH. Did fans forget ABC was the one who cancelled the shows in the first place?

The lawsuit was dismissed, but ABC has not indicated they are bringing back AMC or OLTL or even want to or even bring any of the character to GH. Did fans forget ABC was the one who cancelled the shows in the first place?

I agree. Prospect Park is the company that tried to breathe new life into the shows. ABC was done with them.

This announcement is more about money– because it means ABC doesn't owe Prospect Park a dime now.

but ABC has not indicated they are bringing back AMC or OLTL or even want to or even bring any of the character to GH.

It JUST happened, though. Today (Friday the 2nd of December). I doubt a statement from ABC would be instantaneous.

Did fans forget ABC was the one who cancelled the shows in the first place?

Who said anything about bringing the shows back? Seems everyone so far wants things back to where they were: OLTL characters (namely Todd and McBain) back on GH before they had to "leave" thanks to the lawsuit.

I'm confident Todd will be back now. Easton can stay on as Finn I don't care..

It JUST happened, though. Today (Friday the 2nd of December). I doubt a statement from ABC would be instantaneous.

NO, it happened yesterday (December 1). The news broke today as the soap press picked it up, but the court case ended yesterday (December 1).

Re-Ron is gone. He enjoyed mixing in the OLTL characters and nods to other soaps (Loving, Ryan's Hope). I don't think Jean and Shelly are that enthused about it.

Re-Ron is gone. He enjoyed mixing in the OLTL characters and nods to other soaps (Loving, Ryan's Hope). I don't think Jean and Shelly are that enthused about it.

I think this is what will keep the OLTL characters from returning to GH. I wouldn't mind seeing McBain return and saying goodbye to Franco (I don't give two hoots about Todd, but I will take Todd over Franco anyday). However, we have new head writers. The OLTL characters onto GH's canvas was Ron's thing and he's no longer here.

This does open the door for them to bring back characters/storylines in the future if they so choose, but for now I think that door is firmly closed.

Yes, but both of these head writers criss-crossed all over the GH/OLTL canvases alongside one another and Ron. We will have to see what their plans and visions are. They may have been on board for some of those plans and believe they can get some mileage out of them.

I doubt this will cause an instant change in anything, but like you said, it opens up potential for later.

I'd like a resolution to the Alcazar situation, at least.

I think this is what will keep the OLTL characters from returning to GH.

Well by this logic Sonny should have been written out several writing regimes ago.

Sonny is around (and remained front and center) because somebody at ABC headquarters seems to think he's important.

NO, it happened yesterday (December 1). The news broke today as the soap press picked it up, but the court case ended yesterday (December 1).

Right that's almost a whole year! Still not enough time to draft a response, elaborate or concise. Which was my point of saying it JUST happened. But I think you already knew that.

Re-Ron is gone.

We've noticed.

I don't think Jean and Shelly are that enthused about it.

Based on what exactly? They didn't have this option before who knows what they will do now that they do.

Right that's almost a whole year! Still not enough time to draft a response, elaborate or concise. Which was my point of saying it JUST happened. But I think you already knew that.

Really? ABC P.R. execs aren't capable of crafting a simple statement in less than 24 hours. Wow.

It always amazes me how stubborn you can be.

Super Rodimus is saying that ABC hasn't had enough time to fully consider their options given the recent news. What is the point of 'issuing a statement' if they don't know what the statement is going to say?

You think they are going to waste their time issuing a completely meaningless statement to the effect that 'yes, the lawsuit is resolved, have a nice day?'

Before they can issue a statement, they have to decide what the statement should say, which means they have to come to a decision about whether or not to use the OLTL characters again or make reference to events from OLTL's past.

I don't think it is unreasonable to give them some time to weigh their options before they decide what to do.

Altman and Passante both wrote for OLTL from 2008-2012 and then worked on GH from 2012-2013. So they have a lot of experience writing for Todd, McBain et al, so Rabrod's assumption that they 'have no interest' in the OLTL characters is a lot of nonsense, I think after writing for a group of characters for 5 years, they probably have come to have an interest in them.

As much as it would be crazy for RH to go back to Todd, I would forgive it and love it. I love RH and he's wasted playing stupid Franco. Todd can come back and be with Carly because Carly and Todd were awesome!!!

Bring back Todd Manning and get rid of Franco!

This is really cool. Maybe GH can expand their storytelling with established characters we know and care about.

And what fresh Hell is this?, Malory from Archer(Dorothy Parker)

This means that they could make Roxie Balsom and Delia Reid twins, expanding the Jerome family by making Alex Olanov the twin of Olivia Jerome's. I kid of course, but I don't put anything past these writers.

"Great theater makes you smile. Outstanding theater may make you weep."

Why oh why couldn't they just bring OLTL and AMC back and make it the way it used to be?? They tried replacing them and they came up with nothing but absolute crap. Why not give the fans back the shows that they loved??

Why oh why couldn't they just bring OLTL and AMC back and make it the way it used to be?? They tried replacing them and they came up with nothing but absolute crap. Why not give the fans back the shows that they loved??

$$$. Those shows cost a lot of money. They replaced AMC with The Chew, which is cheaper to produce and gets good ratings. ABC seems happy with it and it won an Emmy this year.

As for OLTL, after the failure of The Revolution, ABC gave that hour back to the affiliates.

I think at this point, it's unlikely ABC will bring these shows back. The lawsuit wasn't about getting the shows back to put them on the air (despite what some fans think). It was about $$. Prospect Park wanted $$, ABC disagreed.

Kill off Franco and bring back Todd.

Suddenly Cole and Hope emerge from the wilderness…