The Prisoner : Can anyone explain the see-saw thing in the control room?

Can anyone explain the see-saw thing in the control room?

That really doesn't make any sense to me. I realize that much of the show is meant to be up to the imagination, but I can't imagine what the function of that is.

It just seems that it's supposed to look futuristic and mysterious but it really seems pointless to me.

Re: Can anyone explain the see-saw thing in the control room?

Symbolic of the 'all-seeing eye' which didn't really exist then but does now, in many places.

Exactly. The 'see-saw' motion was indicative of the positioning of the various cameras around the Village. The operators were kept in constant motion so as to be able to keep track of all camera surveillance at all times.

They mention it in the commentary on the DVD, but the writers and directors ask the same question. They really didn't know what it was for either. According to them Mr. McGoohan changed a lot of things in the series, that they would envision and either because of budgetary restraints or the fact that Mr. Goohan didn't like it.

I never knew Mr. McGoohan didn't like kissing. One of the writers stated he wrote a script that had a romantic scene in it and he says on the commentary and when he saw the aired episode at the time he was some what disappointed it wasn't used. Then he asked Mr. Goohan and he apparently told him he didn't like doing kissing scenes. The writer said it was one of McGoohan's hang ups.

It's interesting to see the scene he's talking about and it probably would have made more sense for them to kiss while they were making plans for their escape.

Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good.

Patrick McGoohan was a devout Catholic and totally devoted to his wife. That's why no kissing scenes. He never had one in his career. This may sound stupid, but that might have kept him from becoming a superstar. Just a theory I have.

BOO-YEAH!

Patrick McGoohan was a devout Catholic and totally devoted to his wife. That's why no kissing scenes. He never had one in his career. This may sound stupid, but that might have kept him from becoming a superstar. Just a theory I have.

Yes, this also mentioned in the commentaries by several people involved with the production.

I don't think he became a superstar by choice according to the commentary he decided to move to the U.S. and except for some guest star appearances he lived a pretty quiet life.

He also had a reputation of being a control freak, and extremely difficult to work with on that production. If one or two people stated it you blow it off but when it's constantly mentioned by actors, directors, writers and the rest of the crew on the commentary than he definitely had some issues.

They also include a documentary on the VDV and all the people say the same thing about his personality. I've now heard on the documentary and several commentaries how he dressed down a director and fired him in front of the cast and crew which in my book isn't cool. If you have a problem with an employee you talk to them in private especially if the employee is going to be fired, the female actor who guest starred on that production is in the documentary and she stated she took a dislike to McGoohan after he behaved the way he did in front other and the rest of the crew after seeing this altercation between McGoohan and the director, and I believe she stated that if the opportunity arose to work with him again she would refuse.

They praise him for being a visionary and hard worker but his personality left much to be desired. Leo McKern called McGoohan a bully, during the final two episode the two actors went back and forth with each other and the exchanged caused McKern to have his mental collapse which halted production for several days of the final episodes.

Minds that have withered into psychosis are far more terrifying than any character of fiction.

I didn't know that about McGoohan. Then my theory has changed from being restrictive to being a jerk that kept him from being a superstar. Although, my opinion of the show hasn't changed, it's still the best. So, McGoohan did that right.
BOO-YEAH!

I love the series.

The commentary really changed my opinion of him, I'd read rumors he was difficult but hearing one person after another on various commentaries on their respective episodes. Mention he could be moody and just go off on someone in front of everyone, there was one commentary done by a writer and director and they both pointed out some female actor that he made cry.

All of them still praise him for the series and the privilege to work on a ground breaking series but he apparently could be quite intimidating.

Listening to the commentary I have a much greater appreciation for the production crew and it's very informative.

Minds that have withered into psychosis are far more terrifying than any character of fiction.

McGoohan was very rigid in his values. He was also considered for the role of James Bond, but he was disinterested because he found the character distasteful and immoral--he didn't approve of the character's murderous and promiscuous nature. His Danger Man was in many ways an anti-Bond.

I guess it's simply a similar motion to a radar antenna to suggest 360 degree cover though it must have made the extras aboard a little queasy!!!

There are quite a few kids activities in the series, enough to try to consider them as purposeful symbols. I've never been able to really get my mind around what they are trying to convey.

One guess would be that it might have been PMG's comment on how conformist societies tend to break down adults to fairly childish states through the use of meaningless, rote activity and actual substitution of pursuits more appropriate to children than to meaningfully purposive adult activities as a way of breaking down adult (and potentially independent, non-conformist) minds in a society, thus making them easier to control and manipulate.

Good response.

It means what it is....

Its a parabolic 2-man swivel arm.
Its function was financial - the inmates paid 5 credits for a go on it.

Visually, it reminded me of the inside of one of the reboot Tardises. Perhaps the center of a circular structure, with mysterious busy instruments at the center.