McMillan & Wife : Hudson and St. James Not Getting Along?

Hudson and St. James Not Getting Along?

I think I read that these two in reality didn't like each other, possibly due to his homosexuality. Anyone know?

Re: Hudson and St. James Not Getting Along?

They got along great. Susan Saint James adored Rock Hudson. Read "Rock Hudson: His Story", a book written at Rock's request with his permission for friends to share their memories of him.

I'm glad to know that was a false rumor, b/c I heard the same thing.

I'll have to check out that book!

The book is very good, lot's of information about his life. It is also very touching..he was much loved and missed by his friends for the man he was. He had real friends who were there for him through it all. Susan Saint James' retelling of her memories is particularly sweet..she is so genuine and loving. I would like to have both her and Rock as friends:)

Susan Saint James was up for renewal on her contract after season 5 and wanted more money that they were unwilling to pay. They wrote her out of the script killing her character making McMillan a widower.
Nancy Walker, their maid, also left the show after season 5 and was replaced with Martha Raye.

They wrote her out of the script killing her character making McMillan a widower.
Nancy Walker, their maid, also left the show after season 5 and was replaced with Martha Raye.

And what a great mistake it was trying to go on without her much like when "Laverne & Shirley" became just "Shirley". Can't split up a winning team after many years on the air and expect an audience not to find such a drastic switch both unsettling and even kind of a cheat.

I remember when he died, two people they spoke to on the news about him were Linda Evans, who had just worked with him on Dynasty, and St. James, who had no ill-will to speak about him. I rather enjoyed seeing her speak about him, as I recalled them on McMillan and Wife, but I don't remember anything she said now. I was just happy seeing her again.

rumor

St james asked Hudson for a political favor and he denied her request so she left the show

Re: rumor

What favor was that?

Get the facts first - you can distort them later!