Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids : Fat Albert not politically correct

Fat Albert not politically correct

I loved this show but I'd bet they won't show it because it's not politically correct. It's a shame since I hate political correctness. But too many fat people will be offended. If I am wrong please let me know. Whatcha think? I mean why else is it so absent?

Re: Fat Albert not politically correct

don't forget about people with lower intellectual skills (Dumb Donald) and speech impediments (MushMouth). Ah, political correctness gone mad!

Maybe another reason that its not on anymore is that the target market for the show (i.e. the kids of today) just wouldn't get it. I mean the cartoon was based on Cosby's own childhood in the late 40s to early 50s. It's a world thats basically gone.

I think that you are more on the mark about todays kids not getting it, rather than the political correctness. After all, they did just make a Fat Albert movie, which was a family film. They did not seem worried about offending fat people with the movie, and I have seen plenty of other oversized characters in todays cartoons, where the characters size is used for humor.

How is discussing Fat and Speech-Impaired and other similar situations politically incorrect? Do Fat People have their own nation now? Is there a consulate for the mildly retarded? I have weighed over a sixth of a ton and I am a special ed. teacherso don't bother flaming me. I agree it is very uncool to point out someones short-comings if they can't do anything about it right there and thenbut to ignore somebodyanybodyout of fear of offending them and being worried about being 'politically incorrect' or commiting a 'hate crime'these fears will just lead to ignorance. (please note the root word 'IGNORE') And THAT is the worst situation for an individual to be in these dayseither being ignoredor being ignorant.

Exactly, exactly. People have grown so afraid of accidentally saying something which could be taken as offensive toward a minority that they choose to ignore the world's problems completely. Through avoidance, safety, sure. And -like you said- ignorance. People need to stop focusing on words and start focusing more on the spirit of what's said. It's intentional cruelty which needs to stop, and ignorance, not communication. "Political correctness" through avoidance solves nothing and only makes problems worse.

If kids wouln't understand the times of the 50's, then how would those from the 70's understand it any better?

Things weren't all that different for kids of the 70s-early 80s (this being Generation X) compared to the children of the 50s and 60s. Compare these generations to the Millenials and kids today, then, yes, they are worlds apart.

*beep* SKINNY PEOPLE. FAT PRIDE

The movie annoyed me when Reggie kept calling Albert fat and luaghing about it and stuff. And the horrible line: 'That's good, nobody wants to see all that blubber.'

Signature must be less than 100 characters long.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Fat Albert inst "fat"hes just "big boned".

The politically incorrect part of the show is that it doesn't celebrate integration. These are Black kids growing up in a Black neighborhood. Occasionally, they come across a white person, but their world is almost entirely Black-owned and Black-controlled. These days, even if a show is about Black people and aimed at a Black audience, there has to be at least one white person in it as a sidekick or nemesis or something. A few examples of "Black" movies with superfluous white people - Soul Plane (Tom Arnold); Shaft-2000(Christian Bale); New Jack City (Judd Nelson).

I thought the Tom Arnold appearance in Soul Plane as Elvis Honkie was hilarious!

I caught that completely.

OMG!!!

in the black community, bill cosby has expressed his viewpoints many times on how things have gone wrong. watching this as an adult, i see too many negative stereotypes. number one, a big group of black kids who are never in school, you never see their parents, and they hang out in a junkyard. number two, i agree with stereotypes such as dumb donald. mushmouth is just an early example of ebonics. when will the world learn???

ps: this post is supposed to be satirical. take it as you will. :D

Re: OMG!!!

Never in school? Remember Ms. Bryfogal, and the blonde lady teacher they had later on??

Never saw their parents? I saw Fat Albert's parents several times. What about the episode when all of the boys went to work with their dads??

I think you need to watch the show again. Or maybe you have. I see your message is from 6 years ago.

they do still air it on Teletoon retro on Channel 284, you can get it for free with the rogers cable box

Don't steal, the goverment dosen't like competition!

Thank the lord Fat Albert is off the air! Now we can be a politically correct nation!

He would have to be called Morbidly Obese Albert today.

This movie is good enough to have been based on a novel.

Hahaha!
Borderline Diabetic Albert?
Big Boned Albert?
Gourmand Albert?
LDL Albert?

I'm overdoing it, but this thread has made so many good points and it made me laugh, How could I not want to participate. Just caught a few Fluffy Albert on Veoh. So much nostalgia.

The show is now being aired on the WordNetwork, a religious channel. Nice to see it back.

Indiana Jones 5
http://www.geocities.com/faustus_08520/eternaltotemsofdeath.html

Films are not reality. Reality is not film. Film is only an approximation of reality.

You should be more worried about whether they will air a show about douche-bags.

Yeah, I guess people might think it is making fun of fat people or something. Also, considering how the kids are, you might think they are punks. People are just stupid, that's all.

Post deleted

It used to show on Teletoon Retro, here in Canada. They might still air it. I haven't watched it in a while.

QUESTION; Does anyone know why Russell used to walk around with winter clothes most of the time. Was it just to make the character stand out or did Russell have some sort of medical issue about weather? Or was his mom REALLY over-protective? I'm asking because a woman I work with does the same thing. Seriously!eek.gif It's 70 fahrenheit these daysSPRING, and she's still walking around in a full length coat, under which she wears a sweater, a hoodie, a vest, and a woolen vest. And WINTER BOOTS as well as an extra pair of pants for going home. I could NOT make this up, people! I don't have that much imagination. Heck, JIM HENSON didn't have this much imagination!

chatty.gif "All my dreams are lost, and I can't sleep. " ~Faust~ W.Leach

People should be more civil with one another, but unfortunately, they label certain "uncivil" thoughts as Political Correctness and use and abuse the term. It's nothing more than whining kid complaining about being bullied and never doing anything to stop it other than whine about it. Fat Albert was a good animated series and touched on some good points in it's running. It was a different time as well so modern day folks who just love slinging that PC card around would of course find something to complain about.

The hardest thing to do, is to truly live."

I think with movies like Big Mama, The Nutty Professor, most Tyler Parry movies, they could show it now and still be okay.

Come visit my blackrosecastle.com
stephentheblackroseenterprises.com

Political correctness is a relatively new concept. "Morbidly Obese" Albert does not have the same ring to it.

So, besides the fact that if you replace the phrase "politically correct" with "polite" you're not only on the mark but can see what people really mean, your premise is wrong. Fat Albert, as of today, is about to shift from Netflix, where it's been available to stream for year, to Hulu, from what I see. Totally available. And a lot more didactic than I remember. I thought it was later Cosby got so preachy and unfunny, but I see the seeds here.

Notice how absolutely NO ONE has said they are offended by the depiction of Fat Albert or his nickname being Fat, whether they are obese or not, but it has always been, SOMEONE ELSE might find it offensive, so let's not let it be seen or discussed?

and for the record, Fat Albert airs on the Bounce network, several times a day.

I buh-liked buh-this buh-show buh-lot buh-man!

Post deleted

Can you explain in a thoughtful manner why Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids is "not politically correct"?

To remedy that, they'd have to change the name of the show to Weight Challenged Albert and the Cosby Kids..,, ha!