Here Comes the Boom : wow look at those guns

wow look at those guns

do you think those are fake biceps or did Kevin James actually get into shape for this?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: wow look at those guns

Joe Rogan said on his podcast that KJ worked out really hard and lost 80lbs for this role!

He also had some real MMA training for the role.

IF I WRITE LIKE THIS PEOPLE TELL ME I SOUND LIKE MORGAN FREEMAN.

I read a long time ago that he sparred with MMA fighter to get into better shape.

You industry shills should spread your positive reviews out by more than a few minutes. Nobody is going to believe that all of a sudden four guys showed up here who are knowledgeable about an unreleased movie and also lavish in their praise.

When they were young, Rogan would have made a good fighter, but not James. Now they are both old, and neither one can actually spar with a fighter to get in shape. They might have gotten into the ring so that an actual fighter could walk them through a few steps, but get real.

James has been overweight for all of his 46 years, and suddenly he is an action star?

Are you some expert on Kevin James that we don't know about? He played football 3/4 years in college, only quitting the last year to pursue improv/stand-up. He's been into MMA since pretty much forever, and even trains with MMA fighters (before this movie). Bas even said that within a few weeks of coming into America, he made good friends with Kevin.

I came to defend my comment but usaswim helped me out. thanks

I said I had only read it somewhere. It ends up being right but even if it was an incorrect comment you need to relax.

Ever hear of Refrigerator Perry? If you are young and you exercise a lot, then you might be one of the few that can overweight. If you are old and you haven't worked out on more than the dessert bar for over three decades, then you aren't going to last a minute in an action sport.

I have never seen James in shape, and at 46, it ain't gonna happen. He can lose weight, and it will have to be a lot, but you can't shed that kind of weight for one movie without endangering your health.

I don't know if you know this, but real boxers always have a couple of extra schlubs hanging around just so the real pro can get in some grunt work.

But then they also have a couple of good up-and-comers so that they can practice technique.

Watch anything that James has been in. Anything. Go back as many years as you want. That isn't a guy who even considers getting in shape.

I like James a lot; so when you trash me, trash my opinion that he can't pull off being a boxer, or an outfielder, or a linebacker, or a midfielder.

Being a good pitcher or a golfer or even a kicker at that age only happens once in a blue moon.

If he wants to be a bowler, a pool shark, a darts player, fine. Dave Roth and the mighty Mizerak were two of the best roly-poly belly full of jelly "athletes." Of course, by the time they were 46, they were washed up.

A weak 20 year-old boxer with average reflexes is going to kick the snot out of any 46 year-old amateur boxer and most professionals.

When they were young, Rogan would have made a good fighter, but not James. Now they are both old, and neither one can actually spar with a fighter to get in shape.

When Rogan was younger he was a good fighter. Four time state champion and 1987 US Open champion in Taekwondo. And he does still regularly spar with professional MMA fighters and kickboxers. Sparring doesn't necessarily mean going full-out.

Ever hear of Refrigerator Perry? If you are young and you exercise a lot, then you might be one of the few that can overweight. If you are old and you haven't worked out on more than the dessert bar for over three decades, then you aren't going to last a minute in an action sport.

You're correct that the movie's premise isn't very credible, but it's a movie. It's not believable that James, an obvious heavyweight, would be fighting welterweights and middleweights either, but you have to suspend disbelief.

I have never seen James in shape, and at 46, it ain't gonna happen. He can lose weight, and it will have to be a lot, but you can't shed that kind of weight for one movie without endangering your health.

When you're as obese as James was you can absolutely lose 80 lbs over several months with the right training and diet, and I'm sure he had the best of both.

I don't know if you know this, but real boxers always have a couple of extra schlubs hanging around just so the real pro can get in some grunt work.

But then they also have a couple of good up-and-comers so that they can practice technique.

I'm not sure what your point is. It seems like you're arguing against something unsaid.

Watch anything that James has been in. Anything. Go back as many years as you want. That isn't a guy who even considers getting in shape.

Probably because he hasn't had to. Despite his fatness you can tell he's a naturally athletic guy by the way he moves. The people that know and train with him have said as much as well.

You keep bringing up boxing. This isn't boxing.

You saw Dingleberries?

No one can diet and lose 80 pounds in a couple of months without medical problems, including death. You could get a doctor to vacuum your belly though.

If you are speaking of the kind of sparring that fighters do on their light days, maybe James can stand with them for a couple seconds. If you mean the sparring that is done to prepare for a fight, no. They don't hold back. You don't train for a fight by going half speed.

If James is a natural athlete, so is everybody else. What body shape is required before you don't label somebody a "natural athlete?"

The point about having extra bodies around just to pound on is that James, as a Hollywood name, has no trouble getting access to places that normal fat people would be laughed out of. I'm sure he can talk somebody into letting him stand in the ring for a few minutes and goof around like he really is an athlete. He can play golf with Tiger Woods too, if he wants. That wouldn't make him a golfer.

I'm thinking of going to Fantasy Baseball Camp because I am a natural athlete, even though I am older than James. I hope the Yankees have their scouts there.

A couple of months, no, but why do you assume it was only a couple of months? I've heard no actual timeline but I'm guessing he worked at it for much longer than that.

There are many types of sparring. But no, I'm not talking about the all-out fight prep gym wars. He can definitely "spar to get into shape though" though. I don't think anyone is suggesting he's going out there and banging it out Chute Boxe style. I spar to keep in shape, and have done for many years.

Body shape doesn't mean a whole lot. Offensive linemen don't have Adonis physiques yet are very athletic. Rulon Gardner looked like a tub of goo when he bested Karelin. Cole Konrad is beating all comers in Bellator and he looks like Dr. Zoidberg. Big Country, as someone else noted. Fedor reigned over the heavyweight div for years while still being a doughy mess. F'ing sumo wrestlers. Kevin played football in HS and college, and has wrestling experience. He's an athletic guy. Just because someone gets fat doesn't mean they aren't athletic, or don't have athletic potential.

The point about having extra bodies around just to pound on is that James, as a Hollywood name, has no trouble getting access to places that normal fat people would be laughed out of. I'm sure he can talk somebody into letting him stand in the ring for a few minutes and goof around like he really is an athlete.

I still don't get what you're trying to say. You went off on this tangent after someone said that James sparred and trained with real MMA fighters to get in shape and prepare for this role. Which he absolutely did. Somehow you took that to mean that they were saying that Kevin was training like a real fighter would to prepare for a fight and started listing all the reasons that couldn't possibly be true. No one said he was training like a real fighter. They said he trained with real MMA fighters.

You saw Dingleberries?

Christian Bale did...

Bob Zerunkel=idiot

1) "No one can diet and lose 80 lbs in a couple of months withoud medical problems"

Since when is over half a year a couple of months?

2) "No one is going to convince me I'm not a fatass at 220 and 6'2"

It sounds like you aren't even open to the idea of being convinced of anything, by the look of this thread.

3) You utterly exaggerated people's praising of James's conditioning and shape and put words in people's mouths, saying they are hailing him as an action star.
Who, pray tell, said that?

4) You may have boxed a bit, but you don't know *beep* about boxing or fight sports. You have demonstrated this with your utter ignorance, bloating of people's comments, exaggerations of what sparring is, and generally being completely defensive to the point of being annoying here.

5) Are you just not going to rest until everyone thinks like you? What are you hoping to accomplish here? What is your goal? Because I don't see one. All I see is you arguing for argument's sake.

6) I'm about 25 lbs overweight from my fighting weight due to a back injury, a pretty catastrophic one, but I'm on the comeback trail. At 245 and 6'2 I'm barely overweight. Muscle weighs more than fat and I got anywhere from 25-35 lbs to lose. That said, sparring with you would be a welcomed sight at this point. You really need to get calmed-down some.

You really don't know what you're talking about. If you have the time and dedication, you can lose 80lbs in a couple of months safely.

In 2010, I went 225 to 183 safely in 2 months. This was me at 183. And I worked full time and only went to the gym for cardio twice a week(doing High Intensity Interval Training). I did resistance training at home and dieted mostly in order to transform myself. As an actor who is getting paid based on his ability to sell the character's look, he would have a personal trainer, nutritionist and all the time in the world before shooting to get to that weight goal safely. Do the research then come back and try to speak knowledgeably.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/163114_671541897754_5381480_n.jpg

Btw...the fatter you are, the faster you lose weight, when you drastically change your habits. Weight loss 101, watch Biggest Loser when they weigh in weekly to see the amount they lose.

you really are mentally challenged arent you?

I'm going to open a cross dressing store and name it "Susan B. Anthony"

Thought I'd chime in here because Zerunkel is way off mark.

I've done personal training and seen it many times over. If an older person comes to me, and they already have a "fitness base", then no matter how much fat they have on their bodies, it comes off faster and they are amazingly tight and muscular underneath. This is due to the sustained metabolic properties of the muscle they've built that's UNDER that layer of fat. This includes men and women, but I've seen it happen faster for men (or professional women athletes, they are incredible).

Also, I dunno, maybe some weakling 20-year-old may have kicked YOUR ass at some point, but if a trained athlete of 40+ goes up against a skinny kid of 20, that kid certainly will NOT win just because they're only 20. Skill, wisdom, and patience count for a lot. The kid might have an edge when it comes to endurance, but maybe not, since so many kids today spend more time in front of the video games than in the fresh air (well, maybe not as fresh as it could be)...future generations with have some sort of evolved respiratory system--smaller capacity lolol!

The trouble is that he is not a trained athlete. He's just an overweight guy. He played a couple of years of football long long ago.

BTW, you're giving personal trainers a bad name. Do you really feel that an older person who is overweight really has a "fitness base"? What does that mean to you? Does it mean that they don't get winded when they rip open the Twinkies? Fat old people are fat old people. They aren't athletes, and they aren't in shape.

Way off base Mr Z

"...has no trouble getting access to places that normal fat people would be laughed out of"

I am big guy and I go to the gym and I've seen all types of people, but no one and I mean no one has ever laughed somebody out of the gym. If anything the heavier you are the more respect you receive but you are there and you are trying.

One does not need $$$$ to get in shape healthy

Re: Way off base Mr Z

Of course your gym welcomes fat, out-of-shape people. They are the kind who need a gym.

Some of the posters think that James regularly hung out with and trained with fighters. That's the "access" I was talking about. What fighter wants to train with a guy who gets winded crossing the room?

You're right that you don't need $$$$ to get in shape. Don't know why that is important though. James is rich. He's just out of shape.

I lost 60 pounds in 3 months, and the excercise was done in my own room. My only health problem is being overweight. Unless of course a knee injury goes under that list.

I gained it all back when I injured my knee for the second time, and gave up trying to get back in shape for sports.

But yeah, if I want to I can easily lose all those pounds again. I just lack the motivation to do so. Keep in mind, I barely put any effort into it when I first did. It was less than 30 minutes every day.

Now, about Kevin James... Many years ago after watching an episode of king of queens that had MMA fighters in it, I read that KJ used to workout and was sparring with proffessionals. So he's obviously had some training before this movie, way before. I think there's a short video on youtube - look it up.

You obviously havent seen Christian Bale in the Machinist

I'm looking to lose 80 pounds of weight from mid December 2012 to March 2013. That's 2 and a half months. I know that I can do it. I have previously lost about 10 pounds of weight in a week (even though then I wasn't all that heavy). I know that equals about 6 and 1/2 pounds of weightloss a week for 12 weeks, but it is possible.

Weight loss goals are just ideal weights divided by a realistic time frame. My weight gain was the result of comfort eating, alcoholism, and sedentary lifestyle. Overcoming that problem is just a matter of healthy eating, sobriety, and physical exercise.

Why so cynical BOB?

Tell me have you ever been an athlete or a boxer? or an MMA fighter?

I box, and to a good level, and trust me there are older people swell

In fact some of the fit over 40's were the best training partners and believe me they could last more than a few rounds.

It sounds life you haven't ever done fitness training. Chris moyles , know him? overweight radio producer, got fit, slimmed down, climbed kilimanjaro ran a marathon. Basically that proves your statements are incorrect

If Kevin James did go on a three month course (training) and eat well he would of been able to last a few mins in boxing or MMA training, not to say he wouldn't have found it bought but he would have lasted.

Please stop babbling about things you don't know, yes anyone can get fit and yes people can get fight fit, being younger just makes it easier

Seems like none of you ever saw Kevin James back during his guest appearance on Martial Law. I honestly can't remember the name of the MMA guy he was on there with, but they were bank robbers in that episode. James has always been incredibly agile for a pudgy guy, and has been around these fighters a loooong time, so the movie makes sense...actually, I'm kinda surprised he didn't do this earlier. Good for you Kevin, you go fat boy!

Joe Rogan just got his black belt in BJJ. That is probably one of the hardest achievements in martial arts. He also taught GSP the spinning back kick.

I would say he's an excellent fighter he's just not a competitor.

Not to be pedantic, but Rogan showed him the proper technique for a TKD-style turning side kick.

As for Rogan being an excellent fighter, well that depends on the context. He would absolutely beast the average Joe, smaller guys, and guys with much less training experience, i.e., 99% of the population. But when measured against professional competitors (the ones I actually term "fighters"), who knows. We don't know because he doesn't compete.

You saw Dingleberries?

First, Bob Zuruncle, you are a kill joy! I love the underdog, "Rocky" storyline regardless of the context. Second, you don't work out do you? You have no faith in the human machine. If James dropped 80 lbs. for this film, kudos to him. For him to build up his body, he is prolly capable of beating up a 3rd rate MMA fighter if he was trained properly. Hell, I bet he could kick your ass back when he was a butterball. Now he is fierce. If you like James, why crap on his work? I like him too, but I watched Paul Blart out of pity and kept my mouth shut. You should do the same.

Oh yeah? Watch this YouTube clip from his show King of Queens and say he has no atheletic ability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6ldoTVzTY

You're kidding, aren't you? He pulls off a few POLE DANCING moves, and you think that shows athletic ability.

They teach that stuff to grandmothers and teenage strippers. It's not hard. It does take knowing the moves.

Tell me what move in that video you couldn't do unless you had more than 5 minutes practice?

Learn to understand what a joke is you bloody idiot.

-------
Gone too soon:
Firefly
New Amsterdam
Journeyman
Life
terriers
SGU
Prime Suspect

He's been training with Bas Rutten for years and even cornered one of Bas's fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzPLdRRu8Q
Fast forward to about 5:54, ok ding dong. Just because he's pudgy doesn't mean he can't be athletic. I've met plenty of "fat guys" with lots of muscle underneath and incredible athleticism. Adam Sandler even said once that Kevin is a secret badass. If you doubt me, feel free to step into a cage with the guy.

Thank you!!!!!! I was waiting for someone to mention this season. Sheesh!!!

Post deleted

Check out any picture of James today. He is heavier than he ever was.

"A weak 20 year-old boxer with average reflexes is going to kick the snot out of any 46 year-old amateur boxer and most professionals. "

... really?

tell that to George Foreman, Archie Moore, and others...

Christian Bale lost 63lbs for the Machinist, only to turn around and gain almost 100lbs for Batman Begins in the course of 9 months and he's pushing 40. Now I know Bales has never been a fat guy, obviously, all I am saying is it's not so improbable that James could have gotten into good shape for this role, especially if he used to play football and train with MMA fighters. Jame's arms also were looking pretty defined in the trailer, and I doubt they "faked" it with Hollywood effects. There are plenty of strong fat guys, look at the NFL or Sumo wrestlers. Lots of muscle hidden under lots of fat. Just saying...

Of course, it's improbable, dude. Can you name anyone you know personally who has done anything like that? Yes, people do lose a lot of weight (or gain it) when Hollywood waves a ton of money at them, but it's not normal. James, like every kid in America, once played football, but he never trained at anything other than doughnut dunking. James arms are "pretty defined" for an overweight guy. Nobody 5 foot 8 should weight 250. Yes, there are plenty of strong fat guys, but none are in shape, not even the NFL or sumo guys. Overweight is overweight.

You do realize this is a movie right? I'm pretty sure a roided up Sylvester Stallone couldn't whoop any of the dudes he did in those Rocky movies. I'm trying extremely hard and cannot come up with any reasoning behind your posts. These things they call movies.. they use these people they call "actors" and they do this thing called "acting." Since you seem to think you're extremely knowledgeable, maybe you've heard of these terms.

Plus, I could definitely see James puttin in a little bit of work to get some guns. Its not like he looked like he was 220lb of pure muscle. Dude just looked in the best shape we've ever seen. There's a lot riding on a performance like that, even if its just a mediocre action/comedy.. dudes get awards for losing or gaining weight for roles. It makes the sissy upper hollywood crust all excited. So sorry that James can't REALLY cut it as a MMA fighter. Lucky for him and all of us sane people, its just a MOVIE with ACTORS who are portraying CHARACTERS. FICTION BRO.. Look it up.

You are right, dude, but that's not the argument these guys are making. They are saying that he is in shape and he has been training and he does work out with actual fighters and he is a natural athlete.

And that's what I reply to.

Now your post is sensible. He's a fat guy, and Hollywood can cut his scenes short so that he can catch his breath.

But you must have missed all of those other posts from people who are claiming that he is in shape and is actually able to do MMA.

Personally, I don't give a hoot what he once did decades ago or what some retired fighter did or even what he is capable of now if he actually gets in shape.

My original post was in response to the first 3 or 4 posters who glowingly talked about how in shape he was. They all loved the movie even though it hadn't been released yet, and they all posted within a short amount of time. It was just a scam.

All I am doing now is posting back to people who are attacking me. Nothing else.

Bob- All your posts are written from the perspective of someone who's obviously never played a competitve sport. You consider your "fighting weight" at 6'2 to be 165lbs...an athlete would consider that scrawny. I saw you reference NFL lineman as "not in shape" and that's where any argument you've made was lost. You're ignorant on a subject and trying to sound like an expert and that's why you're getting such backlash. I promise you, fat or not, Kevin James is in better shape than you. You dont lose 80lbs and gain muscle mass like he did for this film by just crash-dieting. It takes rigorous cardio and weight training.
And your logic that anyone that's 5'8 and over 200 lbs is out of shape is just silly. Many NFL cornerbacks are in that range and I'd be willing to bet they don't have more tham 6% body fat.
Here's some advice: once you realize you're in a hole...stop digging.

What's next?? Something that sounds better than a cassette tape?!

You must like only football, and you must not know ever watch them on the sidelines. A lot of those guys have bellies too big to play Santa.

If you are 80 pounds overweight, and if you do "rigorous cardio and weight training" to supplement your "crash dieting," you will end up a lot more unhealthy. Any doctor will tell you that that is a prescription for a heart attack.

BTW, having 6% body fat is not healthy either.

I think a lot of the trouble here is that people think that being in shape has something to do with how big your muscles are.

Sorry you don't know how to use google, but Kevin James does train with guys like Randy Couture. Two minutes and you can find videos of him sparring. Think before you speak, idiot. You have no clue what you're talking about and you're obviously lazy and probably fat.

Two things:

Dave Roth (David Lee Roth) is a singer, Mark Roth is the bowler.

When I was 44 I started body building and by the time I was 45 I was in the best shape of my life and ran gym rat guys 20 years younger than me into the ground. It's possible to get into great shape at that age. KJ's character was not going to compete against world-class fighters.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.

I suspect that you're not either.

Your point is invalid, weather these actors are big or small, are you with them all the time, just because you have never seen them exercise before, look at Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy from Married with Children) did you know he is a black belt in martial arts?

It's been quite a while since I visited this thread. I took a lot of heat for pointing out that the original couple of posters raved about the movie and how great James looked -- before the movie was even released.

The arguments were hot and heavy. Plenty of trolls were saying that it is healthy to lose 80 pounds in a half a year or that James has been active in sports all his life, or that because several pro athletes retired around James' age that James could actually become a fighter at this late date.

But now the movie is released, and it predictably bombed.

And the corporate trolls have moved on to being fluff boys for the next bomb.

Post deleted

Maybe you should look at the register date and post history. Yeah, really looks like a plant to me.

Dumb.

Have you never seen Roy "Big Country" Nelson. He is by no means svelte or athletic looking, and yet he continues to fight on the biggest stage in MMA (the UFC). There is also another fighter named the "potbelly assassin" (Thomas Ide), he's not in the UFC, but still is making a living in MMA. Since you talk about boxers, what about George Foreman (later years), or James Toney, as boxers they both were soft around the middle, yet still winning fights. So to make an asinine comment that because he's overweight, he's not an athlete, show's your ignorance.
To hell with opportunity, I create opportunity-- Bruce Lee