Howard the Duck : So, how many of you like this movie?

So, how many of you like this movie?

Okay, we already know that this movie is a notorious flop, and for some reason hated by so many people. So please, don't bash the movie on this thread.

Now then, what I wanna know is how many of you out there like HTD? I am quite fond of it personally, probably because I saw it as a kid. It seems like many saw it at a young age too.

I think people are surprisingly harsh when it comes to this film. Sure, it's goofy, silly, and wierd. But that's part of the charm, it's a movie about an alien duck, for god's sake!

Anyone else who like it?

Re: So, how many of you like this movie?

i agree. it's because george lucas name is attached and so people expected the greatest movie ever. no wonder they were disappointed. i love the film myself. saw it as a kid which was perfect. i've always held it in high esteem but only since the internet came along have i discovered how hated it was. which shocked me a bit, then i laughed about it.
people getting upset and offended by this kids movie? i mean seriously? it only shows how unstable peoples minds are that they have to bash a tongue in cheek talking duck movie just because it has the director of star wars producing it.
people can't think outside the box.
i love star wars but if you stop and really think about it, star wars, by todays expectations, isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. it was the first movie of it's kind but if it came out today people would think it was a joke.
and if howard the duck came out in the seventies with no big name producer attached people probably would have loved it and it would be a considered a kids classic now.
bottom line- people suck! :)

"cops don't like me, so i don't like cops. nenenenene...."

I don't know that it's aimed at kids because there's a fair amount of adult 'duck' themed nudity in the beginning and interspecies sex as well.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Me too. Never quite understood all the fuss about Star Wars either :$

"A man drinks like that, and he doesn't eat, he is GOING TO DIE!"-Sheriff Bart
"When"-The Waco Kid

Post deleted

I enjoy it. Not familiar with the comics, though.

For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

I quite like it.

How could you NOT like this movie?

Post deleted

Hell, I loved it enough to create the biggest HTD site online, listed here on the IMDB...;)

http://www.howardduck.com

'Karstens Creations- Original Art & Custom Dreams'
http://www.karcreat.com

As many have already said, people expected so much and it bombed when it wasn't what they expected. Done today in CGI it might have been a hit. Though I think the duck suit was really well done. And the acting is good too (Robbins, Jones and Thompson). Take it for what it is - a comic book movie, and it is enjoyable.

I honestly didn't know this movie was so universally hated until the internet. I saw this movie when I was a kid, and I remember liking it. I thought it was actually kinda scary because the special effects for the dark overlords was pretty good at the time. The design for them sure was really gross and scary looking. Plus, even though Jeffery Jones eventually became really creepy, he was really good in this movie, and he helped sell being the bad guy in this movie.

Watching it more recently, sure it's really corny at times, but I'd still much rather watch this over some of the *beep* they gets released today like Transformers. People today just can't get over that movies from the 70s and 80s were not as uptight and politically correct as they are today. Since this movie has a lot of sexual themes, it seems to shock and awe everyone now. Especially since there is a implied romance between Howard and Beverly.

I'm sorry, but the way this movie presents it, I don't look at it like bestiality like some of the idiots today. It's not like Howard is a wild life animal, he's an intelligent alien, and is no different than an implied romance between 2 alien races in star trek.

I watched this all the time as a kid and still like it.
I agree, some parts are a little corny and cheesy,
but I think it's one of those films that was ahead
of it's time.

I like it...it was a favorite of mine when I was a child :).

-Amanda

"She will remember your heart when men are fairy tales in storybooks written by rabbits"

I watched this film at the cinema back in the day and I loved it. Not seen it since so I'm not sure if it would stand up to the memory.

Although I didn't see this film in theatres, I caught the first HBO premiere. At age six or seven, I thought "Howard the Duck" was an awesome movie. It was as good as any cartoon shown on television, at the time. And that lobster thing scared the HELL out of me. In fact, most anyone in my age group that I can think of, also loved that film... at the time. When I watch it lately, admittedly it's not as great. But neither are many of the cartoons, with which, I grew up. In the same respect, I used to love "Shirt Tales", "Snorks", "Inspector Gadget", "Count Duckula", "Masters of the Universe", "Heathcliff", "Bannana Man", and so on. These days, however, most of those shows bore me senseless. My favorite childhood show was "M.A.S.K." and I'm a bit aprehensive to purchase any episodes or season sets, fearing that it might not hold up to treasured memories. "Ducktales" is still pretty captivating, though.

Anyway, what I'm attempting to convey is the idea that as a childrens' film, "Howard the Duck" is wonderful. From what I remember, though, it was marketed as something more adult, like a "Star Wars". Thus, it didn't rake in the similar box office cash. If children back then had been charged for every HBO viewing, however, it would have done exceptional. And for anyone who wonders why it didn't sell well to kids on VHS, remember two things. First, feature tapes were expensive, back then. I remember using birthday money two purchase "Turtles II" for like twenty bucks, which seemed like a lot to a youngster, and was in 91'. Second, you could just as easily get yourt parents to record the film off of HBO. It still costed like 5 bucks for a blank vhs tape, but that was cheaper than the alternative, and often times you could fit up to three movies on one tape.

"The key is, you've got to be crazy to maintain your sanity"

one of my favorite's actually i learned a long time to never listen to critic's usually if a movie wins best picture i hate it but if it 'flop's' like say this or the dukes of hazzard movie i love it

I did growing up as a kid but haven't watched it in years, I remember getting a kick out of Dr. Jenning turning into some Overlord character

I loved the movie. I Still watch the movie from Time to Time.

I'm seeing it right now for the first time since I was a kid watching it on VHS. I liked it then for a whole different I realizing I'm liking it now. Fun and foul (get it!) film for a kid, campy 80s comic book adaption for an adult. The ridiculous tone is just fascinating to watch handled in a pre-89Batman comic book movie world context.

Original, funny, corny, the songs are so 80s and Leah Thomson is sexy as hell. What's not to like seriously.

This movie is just pure fun -- total mind candy. How could anyone take it seriously enough to hate it? It would be a little like criticizing a Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner or Tom & Jerry cartoon as implausible. I saw it for sale in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart, and just had to have it. Once again, time had done its work; I liked it as a kid and saw it ad nauseam on HBO back then, and upon watching it again now I still find it terribly amusing, especially the frantic performance of a young Tim Robbins. Genius moviemaking? Not really. But it's still entertaining and funny.

The Falcon flies

I liked it as a kid. It wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be at that time. Some flops aren't bad. They tend to get bad press. My kids, anyway, enjoy it.

I must warn you. I'm very susceptible to flattery.

Definitely not as bad as its reputation has made it. Yes, I watched it as a kid and liked it, and watched again recently, and to my surprise, I still enjoy it- was affraid it would be one of those movies where I'm like 'oh, was better when I was a child'....nope! Still enjoy it and it still gets a laugh outta me. It's stupid fun!

*Lady Screams at Howard*
Howard: "Oh, typical hairless ape"

The movie is a cult classic

I also enjoyed this movie as a child and I still like it lol . It's adorable , funny , has some adventure , a very decent cast , and an interesting storyline too . It almost reminds me of " John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China " which is another favorite of mine too ( of course the storylines are different but it's adventure level had a similar formula to it that I enjoyed IMPO ) . To karcreat I just briefly checked out your HTD Fan Website and I really think it's great and a wonderful way to honor this adorable movie . Thanks salvin for your subject post .

i came into this about a half hour in, at first it looked like a childrens movie, but then as it follows the languege and comedy is adult, and how about the bedroom scene between leah and the duck, seemed to get a bit tricky with the camera work there when she was gonna kiss the ducks lips though, perhaps he should have teamed up with christine tan instead, big "alf" vibe here. must be an early role for that girl from hanging with mr cooper i think the title was, i was totally hooked on her when i was a kid. fun unusual movie, are there movies shot today with weird vibes like this? or is it a sci-fi thing of the 1950's to 1980's or something, anyway my favorite part of the movie is when the possessed guy is madly giving instructions to his workers, and one of them says "you want a cup of coffee or something?".

headline to stick out from them all,
anything for high rating dough,
credibility disappear at the cost of it,
like the herds give a sh't,
the hoe with the whip on your back,
too long these terms grew a logical track,
no journey of all i've seen,
able to travel as long with greed,
anything left blown the breeze,
no turning back once it is built.

one of my favourite movies of all time...
it s so fun to watch , i saw it maybe more than 10 times.

I like it. I was 25 when I saw. I thought it was cute, especially with the songs. Can't overthink a movie like this. Or try to place regular logic on it. It doesn't work.

I think maybe it was a flop because it had Romantic Themes with the girl and the Duck and it may have been too weird and/or awkward for some. Personally I thought he was kinda cute. (:

Yeah, HOWARD THE DUCK's not a great film by any stretch, but I've always enjoyed watching it. I enjoy the lame duck puns, Lea Thompson, the ILM FX Jeffrey Jones and Tim Robbins's hilarious performances. Plus, it features a scene at a Cajun Sushi bar!

One of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Post deleted

Post deleted

I am almost 22 and I was probably 6 when I saw this and really liked it and never knew it got bad reviews

I must become someone else. I must become something else.

I like this movie. Saw this at a movie theater. Better than most of George Lucas' Star Wars movies.

I remember when this film first came out. My son was really young at the time but he loved it. In fact, the whole family loved it. I bet we've seen it at least a couple of hundred times over the years and it never gets old. We loved the cast, the story, Maybe it was a bad movie but we are huge fans. My son, who is now an adult bought it for his own DVD collection!! lol

As they say...."one man's trash is another man's treasure"

Post deleted

Regardless of HOWARD THE DUCK's faults, I love this movie - maybe especially the little details that are in the film's background. I never heard of the comic books - and don't care to: THIS is MY HOWARD THE DUCK.

Vademecum...