Highlander : Not a good movie

Not a good movie

As a kid I always heard about Highlander, it was that "movie with the guys who fight with swords". I finally got around to watching it from beginning to end for the first time, and I can safely say that I have no idea where it gets its reputation from. It's just a really dull movie.

Even the main attraction to the movie, the sword fighting, is pretty poor. These guys obviously are not trained professionals, and don't know how to pull off impressive moves or even fluid motions. It's stilted and fake looking.

The main character's acting is atrocious but his weird scottish/american accent thing going on has a certain charm (turns out he's French, so the amalgam accent is completely fabricated). There is a campy appeal to it I suppose, but that's about it.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Not a good movie

What?!?! This movie is awesome and has a badass soundtrack!

Re: Not a good movie

I'll be honest, while I love the movie to death, I can admit it's not good.
It's like 'Star Wars: A New Hope', it's only by pure luck that it got such a fandom. 'New Hope' isn't that great of a movie either, in terms of actual good film-making, but it still got a fandom.
'Highlander' is the same. It had elements from everything that was popular at the time, being gritty comic-book stories and characters, pop-rock music from bands such as Queen, and medieval fantasy novels with rich lore.
'Highlander', like 'New Hope', took elements of what was popular at the time, and mixed them all together in a bizarre Frankenstein Monster of a film.
So we got an urban fantasy with music that was popular then, and is still popular now.
As I said, it's mostly through pure dumb luck that 'Highlander' is so beloved, but I can agree with your issues. Lambert's accent is atrocious. I'm Scottish, and it's laughable listening to him trying to sound anything other than French. Plus the story is insane when you get to it, with plenty of bland characters to spread it out.
But for me, the good elements, like the music, the fight-scenes, and the idea overall, is enough to keep me rewatching it.