Porridge : for fans: whats your favourite episode?

for fans: whats your favourite episode?

i think the first episode has got to be best because its packed with the best jokes than any other episode. e.g.godber:"im only here on one condition" fletch:"o ye, whats that?" godber:"i got caught"

please post more quotes for your favourite episode.

Re: for fans: whats your favourite episode?

I agree, the first episode takes some beating. The scene with the doctor has two of the best lines in the whole series:

Doc: Are you now or have you ever been a practising homosexual?
Fletch: With these feet? Who'd want me?

Doc: You see those flasks? (points to some flasks on table) I want you to fill one.
Fletch: From here?

cheers.gif

Nairda You have picked out 2 of the best moments of a truly great series, and both in that opening episode which - yes - probably is the best.

Porridge is quite simply superb. As someone else here rightly says it is one of just two comedies (the other being Fawlty Towers) in which every single episode is a pure joy to watch.

The one line that I think is on a par with these 2 is in one of the Christmas episodes. It has just been re-shown on UKGold (as part of the Christmas build-up). The episode is No Way Out (Christmas 1975). Near the beginning, Fletcher is telling Godber that some of the prisoners are engaged in an elaborate plan to tunnel out of the prison. He tells him as part of the plot they have had to steal Mr Mackay's present (from the governor) from under the Christmas Tree. Godber asks if they replaced it with anything, to cover up the theft....

(quote)Fletcher: Yeah they did. An identically gift-wrapped package, which no doubt Mr Mackay will open on Christmas morning.
Godber: what's in it?
Fletcher: Well I'll tell you one thing. If he uses it for putty all his windows will fall out.(/quote)

The line is brilliant as written. But Barker's delivery, the timing, (sipping from his cup of tea at just the right moment), Beckinsale's subtle reaction, the audience laughter. It's a truly brilliant moment that has me grinning and shaking my head in disbelief every single time.

What a great show. In the mid 1980s they were all shown on BBC as repeats (this was before the days when these things were sold as videos or DVDs and long before UKGold!) so as I was growing up my brother and I taped them all and he and I used to sit and watch them all the time, year after year. It's lovely to be able to discuss it like this with other fans. :)

There are some really good Porridge fansites around. The best I think is http://www.porridge.org.uk/index.html. (Its nothing to do with me so I'm not blowing my own trumpet - I just found it and think it's really cool). :)

TH

"Porridge is quite simply superb. As someone else here rightly says it is one of just two comedies (the other being Fawlty Towers) in which every single episode is a pure joy to watch."

That was me, and I still stick by that - although I might be inclined to add "The Likely Lads" to the list (Clement & La Frenais' writing again). Again, allow me to point you all to my "Correct Episode Order" thread, to minimise any slight continuity glitches (particularly in relation to the film).

"What a great show. In the mid 1980s they were all shown on BBC as repeats (this was before the days when these things were sold as videos or DVDs and long before UKGold!) so as I was growing up my brother and I taped them all and he and I used to sit and watch them all the time, year after year. It's lovely to be able to discuss it like this with other fans. :)"

Agreed.

Another point about this show, is that it has arguably the best film adaption of any of the classic sitcoms. Given that the requirements for a good working film of a sitcom are:

1. Consistency with the series
2. A sufficiently big storyline to last 90min

Most series tend to only be able to fulfill one of these. Many film sitcoms just rehash all the old jokes - most notably Rising Damp, which seems to be entirely chunks of the episodes - meaning that it can't be counted alongside the series, and the storyline isn't very big, so it fails on both counts.

The film of Dad's Army has a big enough storyline, although can't be viewed as a part of the series, because of a lot of rehashing again. But 1/2 is an improvement.

By contrast, the film of The Likely Lads is highly contistent, and can be viewed as a fine coda to the series, and it plays like an extended episode. Although the storyline isn't especially big, it gets away with it.

Porridge is, from what I've seen, the only film that satisfies both criteria. The escape attempt is certainly a sufficiently big storyline, and while a handful of old jokes are re-used, the film can be made to fit into the third series - with a slight adjustment of the series 3 episode order. Making it the only one I've seen that gets 2/2 - and thus a clear winner.

Yes, I agree with your observation about comedy films, with Porridge again coming out on top. Though I would add the 2 Steptoe & Son films as also fulfilling your 2 criteria and being very good films in their own right. One of them was on TV the other night and it made me laugh out loud yet again (even though I have seen it lots of times before).

"Yes, I agree with your observation about comedy films, with Porridge again coming out on top. Though I would add the 2 Steptoe & Son films as also fulfilling your 2 criteria and being very good films in their own right. One of them was on TV the other night and it made me laugh out loud yet again (even though I have seen it lots of times before)."

I can sort of see where you're coming from about the Steptoe films. I've seen the first one, and yes, it does appear to be watchable alongside the series, and has a biggish storyline, but somehow it doesn't seem to do it for me - and I'm a big fan of the series, I hasten to add. Mind you, I should perhaps mention that it was after midnight when I saw it, about a year (or two?) ago. So I probably wasn't in the best frame of mind - I should probably give it a second chance.

Both perfectly written lines, delivered by the finest character actor this country has ever produced. Well chosen!

As for my favourite episode, the christmas special where the lags are held hostage in the governors office will always take some beating for me. When their captor describes trying to end it all by running at the doors of the supermarket he was doing over, only for them to 'swish' open... How Ronnie Barker holds it together there is a mystery to me!

Two choc ices please

Kills me every time

i have a ten minute posting quota because I called the imdb staff scumbags

I think the second season has the best episodes. The episode in which a new Prison warder arrives and teh inmates instigate a riot to get rid of him is great.

Agreed - series two for me is the best. "Just Desserts", "Disturbing The Peace", "Happy Release" and "The Harder They Fall" are all total classics. They'd really hit their groove here.

"I don't know quite how to put this, gentlemen - but there is a thief among us." - classic!

poetic justice wen the judge that sent fletch to prison moves into the cell with him that was classic

The Hustler.

i bought the 3rd Series last week and the 1st and 2nd yesterday......what a classic peice of Comedy ALL the dvd's are. watched the 1st series last night, and i have to admit the 1st episode is amazingly funny, i wish they would have made more, but i like it when they dont have that many, it just feels good to own some classic british comedy!!!

stewie: VICTORY IS MINE!!!

"i bought the 3rd Series last week and the 1st and 2nd yesterday......what a classic peice of Comedy ALL the dvd's are. watched the 1st series last night, and i have to admit the 1st episode is amazingly funny, i wish they would have made more, but i like it when they dont have that many, it just feels good to own some classic british comedy!!!"

Couldn't agree more! Every single episode is great - and for my money, the only other sitcom that can say that is Fawlty Towers!

As for wishing there could have been more - that's the age-old discussion of knowing when to stop. Fawlty Towers, Porridge, and The Likely Lads all knew when to stop, and while there's not much continuity between FT, the two Clement/La Frenais shows end at just the right spot. They were also arguably the two best film adaptations of classic sitcoms - for one thing because they don't clash with the series in terms of continuity, and for another, the storylines work. The Porridge film has the only real "big, film-sized storyline" that you could do, and The Likely Lads works like an extended episode. Plus "Going Straight" is a very nice coda to Porridge, stops at just the right place.

On the flip-side, I think that, for example, Dad's Army went on a bit too long, certainly after James Beck died (his final series [6] is still very good, but I can't remember any really REALLY classic episodes after that). Only Fools & Horses stopped at the right time (them becoming millionaires) - but then came back again, which should never have been allowed to happen.

Conversely, Open All Hours stopped before the well ran dry, as did Rising Damp. There is, after all, only so much you can do in an environment such as Arkwright's shop.

Then there's shows like Blackadder, to which the "when to stop" rule doesn't apply in quite the same way - because they could keep picking eras from history ad infinitum, but again, they did enough, not really too much. Or Yes (Prime) Minister, which was also two different series (admittedly featuring the same characters doing the same things, but sufficiently different).

Although I wouldn't say any of those series have a 100% perfect episode listing. Up there, certainly, but not quite.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

my favourite epsiode is when Godber finnally gets out. It's such a touching episode and you see how much Fletcher loved Godber like a son.

ilike all the ones where Judge Rawley gets incarcerated with Fletch & Godber. The acting in those episodes was just fantastic. What a great cast of talented actors and writers this show had!

first episode was my fave one of the best written comedy ever. but every episode keeps up the standard

Buy the ticket take the ride

After having watched the entire series all through for the first time in a couple of years - and for the first time ever integrating the film and Going Straight into the overall storyline - I think my favourite episode is "The Harder They Fall" - although just about all of series 2 is up there for me.

Post deleted

My fave episode is when David Jason and Ronnie are in hospital and at the end the bloke digs up Leeds United's ground expecting some burried treasure. Think its from Series 2, cracks me up everytime I see it! Can't remember the name of the episode though.

definately no way out. the theft of barras bike and then watch and mackays wallet and pen are hilarious.
warren i had a bike once
barrowclough so did i and i want to know whats become of it

superb

"Two brothers, Jack Barrett and Harry ... er ..."
"Barrett?"
"Aye, did you know him"
"Only through his brother"

Mr Frampton, vis-a-vis your rump

for me just desserts and no way out and disturbing the peace they are all singing happys day are here again when they see napier wainwright and the welsh guy start singing happy days very unhappy then mackay comes back and tell every one that he is back and that he is in charge and they all sing for he is a jolly good fellow

Post deleted

I love 'A Storm in a Teacup'.

They're all excellent, as someone said earlier, but two particular ones stood out for me: the last couple of the third series. The one where Godber's trying to study for his exam & Fletch & Warren steal the papers for him, that was great. And the last one where Godber gets into a fight & jeopardises his parole, so Fletch takes on the bully instead, & then Godber leaves & you see the softer side of Fletch. I was THAT close to tears.

Catriona x

"I'm free!" - Mr Wilberforce Clayborne Humphries, "Are You Being Served?"

Every one's is a corker, not a bad episode was written. However i think the ones with Harry Grout are especially wonderful, the actor who played him was terrific (and Grouty reminds me of Noel Coward's 'Mr Bridger' character in the 1969 film 'The Italian Job'). Also i think the one evolving round a stolen tin of pineapple chunks is a delight and a masterpiece of writing as well as great acting.

My favourite episode was "A Night in", if only for its courage in confronting the fear and loneliness of the characters and never playing it for a cheap laugh.

a night in cos i love the dialogue.
i love people just sitting and chatting, thats why my fav only fools and horses episode is yuppy love where del and rodney are chatting in the flat and thundering and lightening outside. i love the whole chat about dels girlfriend and rodders trying to sell gas kits.

in this one, i love godber chatting about his girl friend and fletch about his family. if you think about it, its 30-40 min episode with no cuts and two guys just chatting for the whole episode

My favourite would have to be Just Desserts. There are episodes with funnier lines, but the story and the way it finishes in such an hilarious crescendo with the pineapple chunks re-appearing is just awesome. Reminiscent of Galton and Simpson type scripts when they were working with Hancock (another show I love, both radio and tv versions)

It's hard for me just to name 1 episode as i'm a fan of them all.However i've always had a soft spot for 'Disturbing The Peace' & 'A Test Of Character'.

my favourite episode is A night In. i think it is so clever that they maange to make it funny though it is entirely Fletcher and godnber talking, with hardly anyone else involved.
I am also very fond of desperate hours. Where they get taken hostage. i love it when mr barraclough says he want a helicopter, and Fletcher says "you're being a bit lavish with your christmas presents, aren't you?"

New Faces, Old Hands.

It has more quality gags per minute than anything else ever written.

"What, with these feet?"

'tler

The line I liked in the firt episode when Fletcher is trying to tell Godber how to go on, he says pretend to be a Muslim or Jewish, when Fletch says something like

'Actually don't say your, the Doc will be doing a medical...The evidence is circustantial'

:-D

What would you be doing if you never clicked on this

What always amazes me is how when you see Ronnie Barker in anything he is completely the character and you forget it is RB .
A truly great actor, I believe he could have done justice to dramatic roles as well.
He plays off his colleagues so well - Fulton Mackay, Richard Beckinsale, David Jason and Brian Wilde are particular standouts from the series.

Disturbing the Peace

Very closely followed by No Peace for the Wicked

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Absolutely my favourite series of all time. Very difficult to choose one episode but if I only had the choice to watch only one it would be the first episode (similar to other posts). 'What's an isthmus?'?

Just Desserts

"Under protest and on top of gammon, yeah very nice, very nice."

"Gizza job! I can do that!"