anybody know what it means?

Re: ball at opera

It means soccer sucks.

^true. It is almost as boring as opera.

--------------------------------
I did sixty in five minutes once...

The head of the just-murdered Nicole is my guess. Of course, that wouldn't have passed the prudish US censors, so we get the ball, which it turns out, is just as creepy.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

To me it was more of a veiled threat to Doc. Like saying "Wanna play?" in a sinister voice.

-------------------------------------
The ultimate question: Stuffing or potatoes?

Prudish censors in the 70s? Lol. OK.

it's not her head

it's a device to think maybe there's something ELSE that will happen

notice how Babe moves back when it rolls towards him; almost like a bomb or something is inside

and it's for suspense

this is not a dumb horror movie and a head being thrown would have been silly

The Fearmakers Blog https://thefearmakers.blogspot.com/

I've never read the novel, but I believe that particular scene was included just to satisfy the people who read it. The novel probably explains the soccer ball a bit more. Films will often do this, so long as the included scene doesn't interfere with the central plot. A blatant example of this is the scene in 'The Exorcist' where the Iraqi man displays a hauntingly deformed eye to Marin. The novel explains that severe glaucoma was rampant in the area at the time.

He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.

Here's my theory, which I once advanced in this forum (http://www.imdb.com/board/10074860/board/thread/209547012) with a fake tone of certainty:

The symbolism is as follows. In 1974 West Germany won the World Cup, an event that would've been fresh in the mind of a worldly fellow like Doc. The soccer ball meant that the Germans were back in play.

I suppose that makes sense, but it is funny to picture an assassin carrying a soccer ball around all night waiting for his target to show up.

Oh and Captain_Augustus_McCrae shut up you wanka

I think it means that the ball could easily have been a bomb and it's to let Doc know he is being watched.

To heighten the suspense and confusion.

I just figured it was meant to symbolise Nicole's death and that they are waiting for Doc.