Midnight Express : Best line in the movie

Best line in the movie

"Hey, Harry, you better get rid of those grenades" coming from some off-screen nasally voiced woman at the Istanbul airport in the beginning. I laughed so hard when she said that! I miss the pre 9/11 movies where you could joke about explosives at airports.

Re: Best line in the movie

Funny -- I noticed that line, too, when I took a quick look at the first few scenes of this movie just a couple days ago. (I had recorded it off cable a few years ago and I went back to check out one of the background music pieces. ["Chase", used in a recent episode of "The Simpsons"])

Even before 9/11 you couldn't joke about stuff like that, so it definitely caught my attention when that off-screen woman jokingly said it!

I like the scene/line where Billy's girfriend presses here breasts up against teh glass and yells "Oh Billllly!" Reminds me of the scene/line in Tombstone where the cowboys and the Urps are about to brawl and Ike yells at Billy when he approaches Doc with his knives. Ike yells: "BILLY" and I always put these two together. Call me strange, but hey that is how I roll.

Im the one thats gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to

"Urps"?

One of my favorites:

Jimmy: This ain't the good ol' USA! This is Turkey, man! It's a *beep* accident here if you're innocent! There ain't nobody here is innocent!

Prostitute: What the *beep* are you doing?
Johnny: I'm gonna kill a bunch of people.
fight2.gif

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Lol...The guy quoted a funny line from the movie and you use it as a soapbox for whatever insecurities or agenda you have. Laughable.

"...For every man who has ever lived, in this universe, there shines a star."
-Arthur C. Clarke

Post deleted

There's plenty of other threads here where you can and have spewed your anti-American ranting. There's no reason to come to what's supposed to be a funny thread and pollute it with your issues and insecurities.

What I find laughable is your inability to display even the merest form of self-control by not posting your irrelevant comments in a thread where they have no purpose. If you're not American then you're just showing your insecurity. If you are American then you're obviously fulfilling your role as one of the ignorant ones by not being able to display even the simplest form of reading comprehension.

I also got a big kick out of your term, "everybody ELSE" as if you're speaking for the rest of the world. Whatever your issues are, don't fool yourself into thinking that somehow you're leading some huge army of righteousness by posting angry rants on the internet. I have a strong feeling wherever you are, people don't pay much attention to you. I also loved your way of writing "else" in all capitals as if accenting that word makes your inane comments carry so much more weight.

Judging by your response, problems with self-control seem to be the least of your issues.

-Arthur C. Clarke

Post deleted

You are generalizing the majority of Americans based on your own anecdotal evidence. I am sure some Americans have disrespected other cultures while abroad, but please do not think that all of us act in the same way.

Post deleted

Touchy? Hardly. I saw your other anti-American thread you started and obviously I didn't post there. You know why? Because the purpose of that thread was so you can have your little anti-American rant so I left that thread alone. What I did object to was you coming into a thread to spew your hatred where it had no purpose or reason. If you want to go create a thread and go wallow in your own issues, that's fine but don't think you can go from thread to thread pissing in everyone's cornflakes and think you'll be welcome. It would seem you're the touchy one because you don't like to be called out on your problem.

As for being able to tell that I don't travel much, you'd be seriously wrong. Wow - You're 0 for 2 now. Ignorant sweeping generalizations seem to be your forte. As someone who's made a career for 24 years so far as a professional touring musician, I've pretty much been to almost every country on Earth (and gotten paid to do it!) so I'm sorry; Not only am I well traveled, I'm probably a lot more well traveled than you.

Before you go making a fool of yourself with some more ignorant American stereotypes I also speak four languages. I was raised at home speaking English and Italian. I got my first degree in Chinese (second degree is Music) and the fourth language is Russian which I picked up after being on tour for a very long time with a Russian pop star.

I've traveled the entire world and have the friends in multiple countries to prove it. No matter where I've gone I've never had anyone hate me for being American and I've never mistreated anyone. In fact I've never even had anyone say anything ignorant such as, "Wow, you're not like other Americans." No matter where I've traveled I've made friends. In fact, the only time I ever hear people spewing anti-American hate is on internet forums. Kind of telling, wouldn't you think? The normal, well-adjusted and friendly people are outside, interacting and leading normal lives while the people spewing hate are most likely alone in a dark room somewhere raging at a monitor.

Then again, I'm a firm believer of the idea that life is what you make of it.

If you're American then it's obvious the problem is not with Americans but with you. Maybe you should try to better yourself and find a better class of friends and then maybe you'll find people won't hate you so much when you travel. If you're not American, well, then what you're doing is just extremely rude which makes it very funny that you're here talking about how rude Americans are. It's just bad manners.

I live in a neighborhood that has a high Guyanese population. Three Guyanese men recently were arrested near my house for raping a woman who was on her way home from the train station. Last month a Guyanese man was arrested for robbing a jewelry store. Using your logic, I should now completely hate the Guyanese people and troll internet forums for movies that have Guyanese actors so I can post how disgusting Guyanese people are and how the entire world hates them but yet somehow I know many decent Guyanese people and have quite a few Guyanese friends. Could it be that I prefer to judge a country and people by my better experiences with them than my worst?

Why would I let a few bad apples fill me with hate? Don't even try to say that you can't find any good examples of Americans because here I am. The courteous, well-traveled and intelligent American who you're terrified exists because I'd make you look like a fool. Well, here I am. I exist. And you know what? You do look like a fool. And you want to know what the kicker is? I'm not the only American like me I know. Not by a long shot. But like I said earlier...birds of a feather.

The problem is obviously with you and not with Americans.

As I said, laughable.

-Arthur C. Clarke

Post deleted

Since we've gone there.....up yours. You do realize that the US is the reason you get to enjoy your standard of living? Our economy, even at its worst, still drives the world's economy. And because you live under the protection of the US military, your pissant country doesn't have to spend on its military what it really should. You don't like us? We don't really care. You're insignificant.

:-* my (!)

"This ain't the good ol' USA! This is Turkey, man!"

This is a direct quote from a character in the movie. He was implying that in the US, you are considered innocent until proven guilty, but that in Turkey you are generally considered guilty unless there is some kind of fluke.

Nobody said that drug smuggling in the US isn't illegal. Oh, how we know it's illegal. There has been a concerted War On Drugs since the 1980s...a dismal failure. Please leave your sick, twisted rape fantasies out of it.

Post deleted

Post deleted

"the law is never wrong a$$hole! The *beep* law IS"

How about:

"I *beep* your sons and daughters because they're pigs. You're all pigs."

Way to go, Oliver Stone, that is incredibly harsh and very memorable.

Post deleted

My very favorite line: The Prosecutors testimony against Billy

Too too too doo doo! Boo! Americana Vilyum Hiy-yes!

korkuyorsun? (are you afraid?)

And of course "Boo! Amerikan William Hayies!!"

Rifkis "dog eat dog.." lecture was hilarious as well

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

I doubt he would have gotten a 30 year sentence for 2 kilos of hash in the USA in the early 70's. Could be wrong though. And 30 years in that prison, as depicted in the movie, would literally be hell, so in that context, I understand his anger.

the music jyst before that line gets me every time

exciting but sad too
makes us predict the future for billy

Max: "I'm going to cut his F UCKING THROAT!"

Watch 'em Abe, I seen 'em do some things!

"Everybody runs around and stabs everybody else in the ass."

"...you can stab or shoot somebody below the waist but not above because that's intent to kill. So everyone runs around stabbing everyone else in the ass. That's what they call Turkish revenge." --Billy Hayes

"Yeah, ME BIG shet!

This line certainly does date the movie, along with all the smoking in the airport.

Airport? Heck, back then and for many more years after--at least in the United States--you could actually smoke while on the airplane! I remember it well. It's so funny to think about the concept of "smoking sections" in such a confined space; smoke is not exactly something that can be easily contained to just those sections, although I imagine that with a strong reverse air flow, it could be somewhat contained.

Ooh, speaking of which: I remember--out of all this talk on the missing airplane out of Malaysia--that someone on the news said that on long, international flights (not sure where and on which airlines), flight attendants can go into the cockpit to smoke.

Post deleted

Post deleted

"The factory knows, that's why they put you here"
"tututututut ..bad machine doesn't know hes a bad machine"
pretty much that whole bit

Guard at the bus getting ready to depart the plane: Alala lidediddid kot tee dee! Zee dee min tissisushun.!

"For a nation of pigs, it sures is funny you don't eat'em! Jesus Christ forgave the bastards, but I can't! I hate! I hate you! I hate your nation! And I hate your people! And I *beep* your sons and daughters because they're pigs! You're a pig! You're all pigs. "
Best movie line EVER.

Post deleted

😄

I loved Max - John Hurt, I love you in everything!!

Hahahaha biggest fan - and your voice is unbelievable