Frankenweenie : Easter Eggs

Easter Eggs

Lets make a list.

Bambi playing at the movie theater
The news paper in the beginning talking about man with scissor hands winning contest
The teacher looked like Vincent Price
The windmill burning at the end (Frankenstein and sleepy hollow)
The sea monkey bar scene (gremlins)
The rat thing (the wolfman)
The dog house in the cometary (zero from nightmare before Xmas)
Pet cemetery (pet cemetery)
Godzilla

What else??? I know there are tons more!

Re: Easter Eggs

This Victor looks like Victor from Corpse Bride in child form.

These are just general references and allusions

One of the boys resembles Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's creature, especially with the flat-top hair.

The poodle has 'Bride of Frankenstein' hair after she is first shocked by Sparky.

Edgar is obviously a play on the archetype of Igor from various Frankenstein and monster films, particularly with his hunchback and his cackle. His name makes it even more obvious. (Edgar E. Gore)

Shelley the turtle re-animated is a reference to Godzilla. The name Shellie is a reference to Mary Shelley who wrote Frankenstein.

The scene where Victor re-animates Sparky is similar to scenes in the Universal Frankenstein movies.

The kids going up the stairs to Victors attic, their shadows on the wall = Nosferatu a German Expressionist film in which as a genre of its own is a huge influence for all Burtons movies!

I thought I told you,
this world is not for you..

"Edgar is obviously a play on the archetype of Igor from various Frankenstein and monster films, particularly with his hunchback and his cackle. His name makes it even more obvious. (Edgar E. Gore) "

I also thought he looked a good deal like Peter Lorre.

Also, and this could be a stretch, maybe his name is sort of a reference to Edward Gory? I know Burton is a big fan of his.

Another Karloff reference The character who resembles Frankenstein gets bandaged up in a tomb like a mummy, which was also played by Karloff.

"Shelley the turtle re-animated is a reference to Godzilla. The name Shellie is a reference to Mary Shelley who wrote Frankenstein. . "

Shellie is not a reference to Godzilla but the Japanese turtle monster Gamera, and the flying monster in the film that Victor made In the beginning of the movie was a reference to Gyaos from the same TV series. ;)

And of course it has to be the Japanese kid who reanimates the Godzilla reference. Classic.

And when the monster dinosaur approaches the mayor, he seeks safety in the port-a-potty, which is similar to Jurassic Park when the T-Rex chases the man from the Ford Explorer and he seeks safety in the bathroom building on the tour.

The NAME 'Shellie' is a reference to Mary Shelley

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Edgar is obviously a play on the archetype of Igor from various Frankenstein and monster films, particularly with his hunchback and his cackle. His name makes it even more obvious

Edgar is quite obviously based on Peter Lorre..the voice..the big eyes..the bad teeth..the general creepiness.

Elsa Van Hellsing resembles Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice

also the calpyso music in the song "strange love" by Karen O was a nod to Beetlejuice :)

Elsa Van Hellsing resembles Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice

Yes she does and Elsa is voiced by Winona Ryder who played Lydia in Beetlejuice.

Also it's worth saying (though probably obvious to most) that the name Van Helsing is a reference to Van Helsing from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Shelly - almost a dead ringer for Gamera. Only differences are 1) Shelly didn't breathe fire/fly. 2) Gamera didn't have a tail

Colussus meets Shelly - Same way Bambi meets Godzilla. ;+D

Don't forget Christopher Lee on the tv.

Post deleted

Theses arn't easter eggs, theses are things you can see in most of Tim's work.

The mayor hiding in the outhouse reminded me of Jurassic Park

The tall boy looks like the somnambulist from the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

the bicycle that was part of victors machine looked like pee wee hermans bike in pee wees big adventure also directed by burton.

When he dug up Sparky, he threw the dirt on the grave of Kitty, above Kitty it said 'goodbye', a reference to Hello Kitty.

In Victor's movie, the flying monster looked like Rodan, from Godzilla.

Post deleted

The phone box with the sea monkeys banging on it was a reference to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"

There is a Simpson's quote for every situation in life.

Not Godzilla, Gamera.

The sea monkeys come from the wc, like "Ghoulies".
Elsa Van Helsing is named for Bram Stoker's Van Helsing, and Elsa Lancaster, who played the Bride of Frankenstein.
There's Christopher Lee on TV
Victor's parents hide in a telephone cabin, as in "The Birds"
Weird girl is exactly like Staring girl in "The Melancholic death of Oyster boy"

"jluis1984 works in mysterious ways" http://w-cinema.blogspot.com/

"Not Godzilla, Gamera."

Good! I wasn't the only one.

Elsa=daughter of Dr. Frankenstein (Elsa Lanchaster also played the Bride of Frankenstein.)

Sea monkeys-reminiscent of Creature From the Black Lagoon combined with Gremlins

New Holland, PA seemed a liiittle bit like the town in Edward Scissorhands (in which Winona Ryder also acted, of course.)

Mr. Burgemeisterinstantly reminded me of Burgermeister Meisterburger from Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, a classic Rankin/Bass stop-motion cartoon. Tim Burton loves them, just as I do. x3 They also made Mad Monster Partyanother ultimate mashup/meeting of the various classic horror film characters and creatures.

I like you, Um. I like largeness

The pool scene where the sea-monkeys appear reminds the one in Gremlins.

glad you recognized burgermeister meisterburger too

and the gym teacher was obviously a nod to tura satana from the russ meyers movies..

hehe and liked the poodle getting her bride of frankenstein hair streaks towards the end of the movie -

;)

I actually had to look up Tura Satana and am still not sure about that reference. But the "Bride of Frankenstein" hair was one of my favorite bits in the original, where it happened right at the end, as Sparky's bolts started sparking. It happened earlier in this movie, and I had to wonder what Elsa thought about her dog's mysterious topknot-streaking. xD

The bat kite. A nod to himself (Burton) for Batman.

Surprised no one has mentioned that the dog sparky looks exactly like the dog in the old animated television show "Family Dog" which Tim Burton was also a part of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Dog_%28TV_series%29

Whoops, forgot that one!

The teacher was voiced by Martin Landau who was Bela Lugosi in "Ed Wood."

Landau played Bela Lugosi in "Ed Wood."

oh yeah brainfart! ha

the way Batcat died was a reference to the preacher dying in The Omen
the Asian kids kite looked like a Hausu reference to me

I thought that when Mr. Burgemeister ran into the bathroom could have been a reference to Jurassic Park. And the scene where Mr and Mrs Frankenstein were in the telephone booth is a possible reference to The Birds.

Surprised no-one has mentioned this yet

Shelley the tortoise is named for Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein.

Also liked the reference to Hello Kitty with the Goodbye Kitty headstone in the cemetary. LOL

Lol, the "Shelley" name was almost so obvious for a turtle that I forgot it was also a reference! Additionally, Shelley Duvall starred in the original Frankenweenie (and was given a "special thanks" in this one), so that's a three-pronged reference.

I always loved the "Goodbye Kitty" headstone in the original, toowas glad to see that they kept that. xD Actually, they should have had Earl the squirrel, too, lol. And maybe Edward the snakealthough Edward is one of Burton's most overused names now. That and Victor must be his two favorites.

I saw the Jurassic Park reference there, too.

I had the kitty one, the mary shelley (that fits nice in a turtle too for the shell part of the name) and a few more that have all been mentioned!

I thought that the cat's transformation resembled american werewolf's one, but that might just be me.

I'll check the newspaper though, I didn't catcht that one!!

I feel like the Cat transformation reminded me more of Gremlins 2, the gremlin that sprouted bat like wings. And i noticed the Jurassic park reference too, hilarious!

Godzilla??

NOT Godzillait was a reference to Gamera, the giant turtle monster from Japan.

Classic references

Burton included almost all classic universal movie monsters:

The cat/bat = Dracula
Sparky = Monster of Frankenstein
The rat = The Wolf Man
The fish = The Invisible Man
The poodle = Bride of Frankenstein
The sea monkeys = Creature from the Black Lagoon
The hamster = The Mummy

And for some reason, Nassor reminded me of Christopher Walken.

Re: Godzilla??

I'd say it was a cross between the two.

Re: Godzilla??

kriegerg69: You beat me to it. Yes it is Daikaij Gamera (1965).

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned the reference to the short joke film "Bambi vs. Godzilla" when the Shelley steps on Colossus.

The black cat that appeared from when Edward digs up Sparky is the same as the black cat from Coraline.

Thanks to all who went before me. Here are four allusions which went unmentioned so far

(1) Bat + Cat = BatCat The Fly (1986), David Cronenbergs version, + An American Werewolf in London (1981)s transformation scene
(2) Death of BatCat by piercing trauma Death of Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon (1980)
(3) Danny Elfmans Melodramatic Music B&W 30s Horror + 60s Hammer Horror soundtracks
(4) Mr. Rzykruski being run out of town by anti-science ignoramuses Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free (2010) by P. Charles Pierce (a book rather than a movie)

Also, I very much get the impression that Tim Burtons love of dogs is only matched by his hatred for cats!

cat.gif dalinian