The Long Good Friday : Cant believe a remake is being made

Cant believe a remake is being made

I am speechless.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Cant believe a remake is being made

The funny thing about remakes is they are usually dated by the mere existence of the orginal. The original still feels modern; the remake feels like a cheap ripoff/cash in. Which of course it is.

Well The Long Good Friday is about a specific time and place the beginning of Thatcherism in Britain. I don't think it can translate. But the theme of those in power thinking they can defeat ideology driven terrorists with brute force and failing is still relevant. You are right, The Long Good Friday really doesn't feel dated unlike the Guy Ritchie rip offs from a few years ago.

Post deleted

If I the word remake one more time I may just go to Hollywood and beat up some people. COME UP WITH SOME NEW *beep* IDEAS AND STOP RUINING GOOD FILMS WITH POINTLESS REMAKES!

Yes, I especially hate when they destroy all copies of the original and force everyone to watch the new one.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Bloody Yanks can`t leave anything alone!!!!

It really depends if the director is good enough. A good one that's interested in telling stories and not interested in making money.

Yes, the nerve of them remaking it with that bloody Yank hack Paul W.S. Anderson attached as director. Oh, wait. Newcastle-upon-Tyne isn't in the States?

I hate remakes, too. Like State of Play, with that horrid Yank Kevin MacDonald directing. Oh, wait. Glasgow isn't in the U.S.?

How about you Brits use your influence with (for instance) Tony and Ridley Scott? Get them to stop remaking things like (American original) The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 and (Yorkshire's own) Red Riding, why dontcha?

last 2 views: Last Chants for a Slow Dance (1977) & Macskafogó (1986)

Michael Caine said something interesting recently about remakes. He said that you should only remake bad films - that way the remake would be better. Interesting theory.

As for this remake - is it still happening?

Can someone, anyone, point me to examples where the YARM has been better? Sometimes there may be a valid reason, as a story can surely be updated to fit with current world we live in. But that is not the movie they will make, or can make. Or, maybe we get a fresh new interpretation? No, we know that is too risky for them. This is about making money, about playing it safe by remaking a known product rather than risking the new and original.

I don't have a problem with YARMs, if it is done right. Think about every Hamlet that has been made, think about the ones set in the Dark Ages of Denmark, or 1940s era England, or even as a biker gang in California. Having different and fresh new interpretations of some subjects can be quite positive, however I am not naive enough as to think this YARM will be anything but a shameless and crass ripoff.

Well, all I have to say is **** them, as there is no *#&@ way I am going to pay a single cent to see this film.