Heavy Metal : This movie stinks

This movie stinks

I read the magazine as a kid and this movie does it no justice.

The film is a disastrous mess of conflicting styles and ideas. And most of the animation is terrible.

If this was made by some fans in a high school I would be impressed but as a professional release to theaters it's an embarrassment.

Re: This movie stinks

you read the magazine and don't see it (the magazine) as a mess of conflicting styles and ideas? LOL actually there is an overriding idea: naked females good. violence good. popcorn evil baaaaaad. running 2 part stories 15 years apart great. ok that last isn't in the movie. still, great animation, stupid stories, lots of female nudity and male violence is heavy metal the magazine, and this movie.

The problem is that the magazine didn't pretend to be something other than what it was. The film though announces a theme linked to the "Loc Nar" and repeatedly abandons/contradicts it. Even the individual stories fail to maintain internal sense.

As for your claim the animation was good... Yikes! There are a handful of interesting impressionist touches but most of it seems like animators out of their depth hoping the checks clear.

The magazine had only superficial similarities to this misfire.

The movie was a good achievement for its time and stil holds up well today It captures the essence of the magazine which was/is really just a sampler for graphic novels that you could check out further.The soundtrack was great IMHO.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

you read the magazine when you were just a kid? ummm sorry but i don't beleve you not unless you were at least 14 years old.

You know my age? How old was I in 1979? What was my access to magazines at that time?

I disagree with you, the movie does justice the magazine's in a way that it usually had three or four stories that were different but had one shear of connection to each other.

The movie is a disaster and even the people who made it say that. The production was a mess and the animation was/is inexcusable.

FYI I read EC comics before I read Heavy Metal and (SHOCK) I was not even alive in the 50's.

Does Heavy Metal magazine turn invisible if somebody under the age of fourteen looks at it?

I was looking at Hustler when I was seven. And I wasn't the only one.

-
Greatest Hope: LOTR
Worst Fear: LOTL

Agreed. 6.4 is too much for this movie, awful all around. What is awful about it is that it is so lazy. The animation is lazy, the writing is lazy, the editing is lazy. I sincerely don't mind stories of mindless violence and sex, they are okay for me, what I don't like is lazy work and this entire move is this.

by - Eli_Zardo on Wed Jan 13 2010 00:34:38
I read the magazine as a kid and this movie does it no justice.

The film is a disastrous mess of conflicting styles and ideas. And most of the animation is terrible.

If this was made by some fans in a high school I would be impressed but as a professional release to theaters it's an embarrassment.

Well, it was made for teenagers and college age young males. So, that's kind of who it was for.

And you had nothing better to do with your time than to come to a board for a film you hate and be a troll?

Have fun. Lifes' too friggin' short.

The film captures some of the stories well (Capt. Sternn and Den) but, yeah, the Loc Nar doesn't really work as a linking device. Of course, they tried at least two others that were even less successful (storyboard and pencil test stages). It might have worked better if they had just done one story, than adaoted another in a sequel. It didn't have the budget to do the animation justice, thugh the rotoscoping in Tarna elevates it, in my opinion.

They were also hamstrung by the fact that they had to buy individual rights for each piece, since Heavy Metal itself didn't hold the copyright. Moebius refused and they just ripped him off instead (Harry Canyon is taken from "The Long Tomorrow" and Tarna from "Arzach").

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."-Groucho

Unfortunately, most seemed to agree with you the year it was released. I remember walking into an almost empty movie theater on a Friday when it should have been filled to capacity. Remember, this was before VHS was widely available, people went to movie theaters to see movies, no multiple market windows to exploit like now. So, it pretty much bombed.

Actually, it was state of the art for it's time. The conflicting styles were meant to be close approximations of the actual strip art within the magazine. I was a teenager who followed "Heavy Metal " every month and was somewhat disappointed. But, there seems to be quite a healthy cult following now.

Live Full & Die Empty. Tap Your Potential and Realise Your Dreams!

The visuals were the only part I liked. Even this is flawed: while there were some neat landscapes, the characters and other things in motion weren't as impressive. The film displays a very juvenile mindset, which is also detrimental for me. To fix this film, they should have fired all the writers except for whoever wrote the Taxi Driver segment and given the animation team more time to make it better.

Overall rating: 5/10

This post brought to you by The Yoyodyne Corporation

What...someone didn't pass you the bong when some of you were watching this movie? This movie was made for stoners. Get a grip "film critics".

Yeah, I agree. I enjoyed the Den segment, but the others were just terribly "meh," aside from the Taarna one which outright sucked. The magazine can be somewhat hit and miss, but it has some really good stuff in there.

Oh, and why is the animation so slow? The part were Taarna stiffly and slowly moves her sword and heads suddenly pop off made me laugh.