The Funhouse : Just saw Quentin Tarantino's personal 35mm print!

Just saw Quentin Tarantino's personal 35mm print!

I went to an all night mystery horror marathon in portland OR and I was lucky enough to see QT's own copy!

I have nothing more to say really.... This is just too cool and I hope to make someone happy with this factoid.

Re: Just saw Quentin Tarantino's personal 35mm print!

I was at the Hollywood sat night too, funny thing is I must of missed that it was qt's copy of funhouse. Honestly I was really disappointed that was the slasher movie picked for the event. I never liked this movie past the first 30 minutes of it and I don't really see why people think it is so great. I've been looking for a board with any commets of the event but haven't found anything. So I was just wondering what you thought of the movie selections Saturday night? because except for psycho 2 (which was awesome) I was quite disappointed. I was really hoping for scary horror movies and not so much comical horror.

What would of you played if it was your show and the same catagories, satanic, sequel, slasher, Italian?

Btw I still had a good time just thought the movies were kinda lame

i knew THIS movie was the reason Cooper Huckabee had his second blink or miss cameo in Django.

The Fearmakers Blog https://thefearmakers.blogspot.com/

Sealed Cargo! Hi!

You asked a pretty question; I've given you the ugly answer.
Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

really? i didn't know qt is a fan of this movie just found out he is a fan of horror movies from watching eli roth's history of horror season 1.

i think this a boring movie.

lukejbarnett

In other words, too difficult to understand?

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I'm surprised you didn't like it. I think it's one of the best slasher films ever made and I consider it to be one of Tobe Hooper's finest films along with Texas Chain Saw Massacre (easily his most important film) and Salem's Lot. Christ, did that guy know how to deliver the goods!

Here! Here!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

the only thing i loved and love about this movie is the awesome nudity scene with elizabeth berridge. she is one of the most beautiful girls i've ever seen. this scene a funny scene ala psycho with her younger brother barging in on her taking a shower with a plastic knife is like a scene in fade to black(1980).

gosh have you ever watched fade to black? it is very underrated and a very well made obsessed with monster movies fan guy who takes his love of these movies into diabolical dark places with violence of his own. highly recommended in fact highest recommendation for this classic film. very unnerving and deeply disturbing. it make for a very unpleasant horror film watch. so watch at your own discretion.

you see this guy who is former friend loved this movie also you fit in with him very well with his horror film tastes bc he like you also loved dario argento and lucio fulci films.

unfortunately 2 of those films iv'e never watched. though i think salem's lot is a mini series.

why do they always say tobe didn't direct poltergeist? that actually spielberg directed it? i did just read that even the movies that spielberg didn't direct but produced have that spielberg glow like back to the future.

lukejbarnett

I've never seen Fade To Black.

unfortunately 2 of those films iv'e never watched. though i think salem's lot is a mini series.

You really need to see the original TCM!!! It's one of the greatest horror films ever made and had a huge impact on the slasher genre that followed but you know that already. What are you waiting for??!! Salem's Lot is a superb miniseries, it was released theatrically (in a heavily cut form) in Europe, but I recommend watching the original three hour version that aired over two nights on American television in 1979. It's such a great story about a vampire plague affecting a small Maine community and it's one of the very best Stephen King adaptations.

why do they always say tobe didn't direct poltergeist? that actually spielberg directed it?

Because it looks and feels more like a Spielberg film, I guess.

Because it looks and feels more like a Spielberg film, I guess.
I have read much on Poltergeist's production. Hooper was largely a front for Spielberg, who wasn't able to direct due to guild rules, as he was already contracted to direct E.T. in the same area.

As you mentioned, Hooper knew how to deliver, but he came under Spielberg's own deft control. There have been conflicting cast anecdotes regarding Spielberg's involvement as director, yet Robins is quoted as saying he was directed in many scenes by Hooper. Spielberg though, allegedly had scenes extensively storyboarded beforehand, which Hooper had to use as a guide.

Spielberg wasn't going to lend his name and then have a reputation damaged by not being a divine overseer over the project and was apparently on set a lot of the time.

Once principal photography was wrapped, post production was all in Spielberg's hands. He got his name first on the end credits as well over Hooper, at the films excellent conclusion.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

I'm not surprised that Spielberg did that, he's an admitted control freak.

Spielberg knew what he wanted and Poltergeist was his vision and brainchild. I'd say he would have directed it himself if guild rules had allowed and/or wasn't working on E.T at the time.

It may have well worked in his favor having Hooper's name attached, giving the film a stronger horror boost in the promotion and his own name tempering it with quality product. Spielberg would have acknowledged Hooper's strength as a director from his previous efforts and would have seen how ideal he would have been.

There was some rumor too that Hooper was a coke head as well during production. After Poltergeist though, Hooper was hit and miss with his directorial efforts.

Hooper's Eaten Alive - '76 aka Death Trap goes unfairly dismissed by many I feel. It has an interesting surreal, weird and swampy atmosphere to it, and is almost Lynchian as well in style I find. David Lynch made his name after Hooper as well.

Hooper's Eaten Alive - '76 aka Death Trap goes unfairly dismissed by many I feel. It has an interesting surreal, weird and swampy atmosphere to it, and is almost Lynchian as well in style I find.

Interesting take on Eaten Alive. I'll have to give it a rewatch sometime with all that in mind. I always considered it to be inferior to Hooper's other early works.

what do you think of these movies?

like them, love them, hate them? dislike them?

trick 'r' treat from 2007. the buzz and hype surrounding this movie was deafening. everywhere you turned when it comes to horror movie communities they were praising this film more than any other film of 2007 and a few years after. it was the little cult film that everyone at least heard about by word of mouth.

i have never watched it but i really want to watch it now. when it first came out i was too scared to watch it bc i heard it is very disturbing. but now i think i can handle it.

may, roman, all cheerleaders die. acd has a meaningless title bc it's not against cheerleaders. and it's not even about cheerleaders really. it is much deeper than just this it is a magical film about magical crystals. it is above average. roman is very artistic and dark and disturbing. it is about a loner guy nerd who kills a girl by accident then has to hide her body and then it gets even more sadistic. it is a very wild film.

may is a great a film. and it is exactly my kind of film bc it is anti-conformist and alternative lifestyle. it's like jennifer's body; a great film too. i like may more than jennifer's body.

so what do you think of these 5 films?

lukejbarnett

I've heard of Trick 'r Treat and Jennifer's Body but never seen them. The other three you mentioned I've never heard of. Roman sounds interesting, I might have to check it out.

I've only watched five horror films so far this month: Open 24 Hours (2018) - a decent slasher film with some interesting twists; Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1971) - a Spanish horror film starring Paul Naschy, it's not bad but the version I saw was severely cut; The Ghoul (1975) - very good British horror film about an old man who keeps his cannibal son locked away in his attic, it stars the always great Peter Cushing and a young John Hurt in a very creepy role; Halloween Ends (2022) - while I didn't hate it, it seemed like a missed opportunity; hopefully, it's the last one; The Haunting (1963) - a rewatch and one of my favorite horror films of all time; creepy, unnerving and brilliant in every way - the way a ghost story should be done with hardly any special effects and plenty of atmosphere and ambiguity. An A+ horror film!

ha no way i just watched open 24 hours about a year ago.

i love paul naschy. do you love him also? he is one of my favorite actors bc he is so authentic and has an air of being respectable with how he acts in movies he is very believable and he has this presence and charisma he is like christopher lee and peter cushing with him having an air respectability and him having the presence and charisma he has and in being authentic.

the haunting (1963) stephen king raved about in eli roth's history of horror tv show. he said it was the first film to really scare him which is awesome coming from him bc he knows horror. he said he was young when he first watched it.

lukejbarnett

i love paul naschy. do you love him also?

He's OK. I haven't seen enough of his films to either love him or hate him.

how did you find open 24 hours? did you find it on here for free? gosh i love this website bc it gets you free, uncut, and un commercial movies.

i love the part in open 24 hours where the guy working at the gas station is all ogling the min girl's body and getting all sexually excited by the main girl's body while she talks to him about working there. he says something very misogynistic to her like i bet all the guys stare at your tits which makes her very uncomfortable so awesome!

lukejbarnett

how did you find open 24 hours? did you find it on here for free?

I watched it on Tubi or Peacock, I forget which one.

I liked it even though it didn't stray far from the typical slasher movie formula. For a modern slasher flick, it was good. Good acting with a solid female lead. I liked it better than the new Halloween film, that's for sure.

i love the part in open 24 hours where the guy working at the gas station is all ogling the min girl's body and getting all sexually excited by the main girl's body while she talks to him about working there. he says something very misogynistic to her like i bet all the guys stare at your tits which makes her very uncomfortable so awesome!

It was believable. Also, the scene with the creepy customer who hits on her (and her reaction to him) was very good.

i also liked the part where her hot friend gives attraction looks to the guy working there.

lukejbarnett

Yeah, her friend was hot. I was upset when she got killed.

the part at the end when the main girl is tied toa chair being tortured is disturbing.

you have to watch a film on here for free called poker night. it has the guy who played the first hell boy. it is so disturbing and well made. it is about a guy who kidnaps and abducts young girls. it is very realistic and it is what saw should have been but wasn't ballsy enough to be.

lukejbarnett

don't be fooled into watching the incredibly bad, supposedly revolutionary, transcendent slasher film called don't fuck in the woods. the title made me watch bc it has the most attention grabbing and curiosity making title. it is a worthless piece of crap movie.

it is on tubi now have you ever watched the good slasher movie called i didn't come here to die? it is better than most slasher movies made nowadays. it is very original. it has a new idea in the story in the framework of slasher movies and it is well handled.

lukejbarnett

it is on tubi now have you ever watched the good slasher movie called i didn't come here to die? it is better than most slasher movies made nowadays. it is very original. it has a new idea in the story in the framework of slasher movies and it is well handled.

Never heard of it. Maybe I've seen it mentioned when I was looking through Tubi's horror section. 9 out of 10 times whenever I watch a "new" horror movie (a movie made within the last twenty years or so), I never like it! Very rare is it for me to like anything recent. I'm a stickler for the past. Maybe I'll check it out though.

i appreciate you watching terrifier bc of my recommendation. terrifier 2 just came out in theaters with people throwing up and such apparently.

i am exactly like you old school horror film buff through and through. i like you 9 times out of 10 when watching horror movies made in the last 20 years don't like them.

so that is i why when i come across a great horror film made in the last 20 years they always stand out to me and then i recommend them to you. :)

sadly besides scream it has been extremely hard to find great horror films made since 1996. most new directors don't have the talent or skills or vision necessary to make a great horror film and then rely on cheap effects so gimmicks or trends in popular horror films to fill in these gaps of creativity thus making their films either bad or just good at best. do you agree with all of this explanation?

lukejbarnett

sadly besides scream it has been extremely hard to find great horror films made since 1996. most new directors don't have the talent or skills or vision necessary to make a great horror film and then rely on cheap effects so gimmicks or trends in popular horror films to fill in these gaps of creativity thus making their films either bad or just good at best. do you agree with all of this explanation?

Yes, for the most part, though I wouldn't say they don't have talent. Some of these newer directors have talent, they just lack, as you say, the vision necessary to make great horror. I see more imitators than innovators. I'm not expecting anything great in the future. The Golden Age of Horror has passed.

i love how you dismiss completely every new horror film i mean this is the sad reality. the reality is that everything is shit and maybe amongst this shit there is one or two great films. at least in america. but i don't like the idea of reading words on the screen while watching a horror film bc my eyes are reading the screen while they should be focusing on the action in a horror film.

and i don't think this is just us being old and we like it the way it used to be in terms of the styles and types of horror films that used to be made. it is much deeper and important than that.

so what makes a classic or great horror film in the '80s? it is substance, something to say, a great and compelling story, and competency as a director, writer, etc.

it is not just creativity that today's horror films lack it is something much more important: having the abilities necessary to craft an intelligent, effective horror film.

the fundamentals that most new horror film directors lack are the crafts necessary to make a great film.

filmmaking is an art, it's not something you can go to film school and earn the right to make a great film, no amount of schooling is going to give you the skills necessary to make an original film.

lukejbarnett

you still haven't responded to my message to you about rest in pieces(1987). you have to watch this masterpiece film. it is so artistic, surreal, strange, deranged, unnerving, disturbing, and brilliant.

lukejbarnett

Yeah, that one sounded interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.

There was a New York hardcore band called Rest In Pieces from the late 80s - I never did like them though!

i wonder if they called themselves this bc they loved this film so much so they made their name a tribute for their beloved film? that is one for wikipedia!

im glad my words about that film praising it and raving about it got you interested in watching it.

lukejbarnett

Christ, did that guy know how to deliver the goods!

Both Texas and Funhouse are listed in my top 10 horror films. Texas takes the #1 spot.

Big fucking deal
So what?
No one gives a shit.

It is an excellent horror film, but because it was a print watched that Tarantino owned, doesn't make the film different. It is the same film everyone sees, regardless of what print it is.

Well, unless there are censorship cuts made in certain regions and The Funhouse was edited by a few mins for international release initially to tighten up the pace.