Christine : How many guys still name their cars with a girl's name?

How many guys still name their cars with a girl's name?

A long time ago I knew this guy from Brooklyn who told me it was common practice back in the 50's and 60's for guys to give their cars girl's names. I thought he was full of it, but later I saw David Brenner on Johnny Carson one night and he told essentially the same story. So when I saw this movie "Christine," it made me think about those guys. So do any guys still give their cars girl's names? I guess the only name I can think of for my car is "Pile of Junk". I remember Conan O'Brien used to refer to his car, which I believe is a ford Taurus, as "Old Bessie Lou".

Re: How many guys still name their cars with a girl's name?

who gives their cars namesperiod?

My first car's name was Elizabeth. (1966 Ford Fairlane)

That seems to be a really good name for a Fairlane.

'Your mother ate my dog!'-Dead Alive/Braindead

Someone i knew in high school called their car old blue. His car was a old Honda Accord

I need to name my 59 Dodge.. shes an old car, not these 90's cars. they arent old at all. but need to find a female name that fits her.

I used to have a car I named black beauty, my pink slip/my car

and a '93 tempo I named the go-cart

what do you drive, a hybrid?

People who have unhealthy relationship with a piece of hardware. You know, like in this movie.

Applied Science? All science is applied. Eventually.

Well, I have 2 LX Ford Thunderbirds, a 95 and a 97. I have 2 different names for both cars I call the 95 T-bird a "Dinosoar."
I call the 97 T-Bird a "Time Machine" because of the same reason, both cars are in my book considered old.Just different names for both cars. But, the names I gave my babies aren't feminine though. I had my 95 Dino T-bird painted recently because the paint was faded on itIt doesn't look old anymore.It actually looks new now. I take my 95 Dinosoar to car shows because of this..I am keeping both cars as classics. I use the 97, as a daily driver for now until I get a new pickup truck.

Both cars remind me of the old Late 60's, Early 70's Model T-birds because of their huge weight, strong chassis, Rear Reflector Panels (notorious on these cars) and a Ton of Interior lighting with a beautiful, Fancy spacious interior. My 95 T-bird differs from my '97 T-bird in that it has a Leather Interior, Keyless Entry, and Sunroof. The 97 T-bird came with the regular optionsbut still very fancy. I think the abundant interior lighting and space, as well as the Auto Lamp feature gives it a perk of fancyness.

I mean, both of these cars are huge, long, heavy pieces of Iron. I would not want to be in a new car and get hit by a car like these monsters. Believe it or not.they are powerfull, fast, heavy iron monsters. They will crush a new car in a heartbeat. That is why I call them what I call them. I have no problem with people naming their cars..It don't bother me at all.

Every vehicle I've ever owned has had a name!

1986 Ford Bronco (full size) - "Babe" after Paul Bunyun's blue ox. It seemed to fit because the truck was blue and would pull like an ox.

1995 Chevy Blazer (s-series) - "Toranado" after Zorro's horse. This really fit because the truck was jet black and very tempermental!

1997 GMC Sierra - "Strawberry" after the Marty Robbins song, "Strawberry Roan." Fitting because she's bright red and makes me feel like a cowboy when I'm driving her!

A good vehicle should have a name period.

If you have a great car or truck and don't give it a name then you don't love it enough. If you don't love your car then how can you depend on it to always get you home?

You can't just pick a name out of thin air, either. It has to fit the car's personality and your's as the driver. It ususally takes me about a month to get to know a new vehicle. Usually by then I'll know their name

A friend of mine maintains that if a car is an automatic it should have a girls name and a guys name if it is a stick.

"If you have a great car or truck and don't give it a name then you don't love it enough. If you don't love your car then how can you depend on it to always get you home?

You can't just pick a name out of thin air, either. It has to fit the car's personality and your's as the driver. It ususally takes me about a month to get to know a new vehicle. Usually by then I'll know their name"

Well said!

A friend of mine maintains that if a car is an automatic it should have a girls name and a guys name if it is a stick.

That's interesting. I've never heard that. I've heard it said that all cars should have feminine names except for Bentley's which should be given masculine names. I think it was Jay Kay who I first heard say that.

Anyway, I own a W108 and a W116 but I don't name my cars. I tend to refer to them by those factory codes. I totally understand why people name their cars, I know it's very common and I don't judge, but naming my car has never been for me - I just feel weird calling it by a name.

I only name cars, well vehicles really, that are worthy of a name. My Chrysler Town and Country? No name, it's just a van. My bike on the other hand, her name is Mary-Alice.

My harley is black sunshine.

That's awesome.

LOL.

This has to be the best post I've read on IMDb in a long time.

I call my car all kinds of names, especially when the bitch won't start.
I once saw a Cadillac which belonged to Elvis, it has a bullet hole in the fender where he shot it when it didn't want to fire up.

Don't vote, it only encourages the bastards.

Cool. Maybe you could just call your car "Beyotch"?

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 = "Henryetta" 1964 Ford Falcon = "Henry" 1974 Fiat 3-Door Wagon = "Tony" 1976 Fiat 128 Sedan = "Tony , Jr." 1982 Ford Granada = "Henri" Three Hyundais named "Kimberly" 2001 G.M.C. Sonoma = "James Edward" , among-Others.

My Cars are named as follows.1973 Buick Estate Wagon: Titanic,1976 Pontiac Catalina: Gertie, 1979 Camaro: Li'l Red, 1965 Pontiac Bonneville: originally Injun Joe, Now called Josey or Josephine, 1996 Bonneville: Bonnie Blue, 2006 Scion xB: Black Box, 2008 Scion xB: Boxy.

My boyfriend has a 1971 Ford F250 and he named her Elizabeth, but he calls her Bettie. He said that she should have a good name because she's a good truck. It's funny to watch him get mad at her, because that's when he resorts to calling her Elizabeth.

You think this is funny?
Not at all, they said that stain would come out!

I met a girl once in a party and she was HOT! She wore a green top and black jeans. She let me kiss her goodbye, but that was it. (why lie)

Anyways, the phone # she gave me was fake. (no cells back then to verify right there and then)

4 years later, I still would mention her to the guys every once in a while, cause she was Hot!. I lied to them, of course, to make her look like she gave it up like a slut.

So, when I met my beautiful 1991 MR2 with Metallic Green Paint and black interior, I naturally thought of her,. cause she was Hot!

Tracy, will never know that I named my car after her, even after she gave me a fake number. I guess I owe it to her for saying I banged her.

I still drive the MR2.
I love my TRACY

I named my car after her, even after she gave me a fake number

Great story, thanks! Hey, in Tracy's honor, why not put a fake license plate number on the car? (okay, sorry, bad joke. lol)

lol

I'm a woman and I've named my Durango "Bubba Forrest"

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?HuckleberryBeej.

Esmerelda Villalobos

I had a car named "Granny" for a while. She was a '76 Ford Granada (hence the name Granny).
She was kind of Christinish, too. I was out with a girl at the movies, and when we came out, all the water from the radiator had emptied on the ground. I suppose that somone could have crawled under and opened the drain plug, then closed it again. Seems like an odd thing to do. The radiator didn't have a leak, because after I filled it, it never had a problem again.
I was out with another gal, and driving down the street I suddenly had no brakes. So I coasted it to a stop, got out and checked the master cylinder, and it was bone dry. Was fine not an hour before. Got some brake fluid and refilled it, never had a problem after that.
There was one gal that she liked, though. Due to some wiring issues (my brother and I), the wipers would stop when I turned on the left turn signal, and the right turn signal wouldn't work if the wipers were on. But whenever this one particular gal was in the car, they worked perfectly fine.
The car's long gone now. The Chicago winter with all the salt pretty much killed it. But still, sometimes I think she might just show up again.

Dan

Movies, Captions, Hotties and more: http://www.captiongallery.com

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

wow, some of you guys are REALLY *beep* sad. It's a car. It doesn't have feelings. You're not supposed to LOVE it either. It doesn't have a personality. It takes you from point A to B. It's a mechanical thing. God i hope you don't have girlfriends or wives.

Wow, somebody's mom doesn't want to get someone a car.

YES, you are suppose to love it.
The more you love it, the more care you put into it, therefore, it will last longer.

It does too have a personality.
The older muscle cars are more co-dependant then other peers, and the newer small economical cars are getting more arrogent by the year.

It does not JUST takes you from A to B.
You can have sex in it.
you can eat in it.
you can escape from society
you can sleep in it.
you can watch a movie in it.
OMG, the list goes on and on.

It is NOT just a mechanical thing.
What are you? some kind of Tree Hugging Hippie? Are you Amish?

Really. The things you say.
shame on you.

I love my car, and I bathe her (with me in it) for 13.95 every Tuesday. Then we go eat and talk about sad people like you that abuse their cars.

I love my 2002 Jeep Liberty, yet I have never named it. Nor have I named any of my other cars. However, I loved 'em everyone. I understand the level of love and affection one feels for their vehicle, so giving it a name is just an extension of that.

Oh, and to sum up what it does for me.it gives me independence like nothing else can. Just last Monday I returned from a cross county road trip amounting to roughly 4,500 miles. What sights I've seen that could not be accomplished by walking, bicycling, or flying. Priceless.

P.S. I do name my bicycles. Just got a new mountain bike and am waiting to see what name unfolds.

I have a Yaris. It's white. I named it Snowball :)

Come visit me!
http://www.patchez4prezident.webs.com/

Youjust..don'tget it..do you?
Its okay. If I tried to explain, Im afraid you wouldnt understand anyway.
Its like a religion. Either you get it, or you don't.
BTW..I do have a wife. Married for 20 years. She understands.

XLCH1000,

Jesus Harold Christ! what are you talking about?

Oh shut up. People can do whatever they want with their cars. General rule is or should be; if it's not hurting anyone, then do what feels right. My grandparents named their cars. To me, kids sitting on their @$$e$ whining over the Internet about minor things is odd to me. Do whatever floats your boat.

Of course cars used to be named. Ever hear of "Greased Lightning"?

Post deleted

I got a '89 cadillac eldorado, dark blue. I named him The Shark. mostly because of its color and sleekness, and also the light indicator things on the ridges on either side of the hood in front (they house 3 different lights each to tell you what lights/blinkers are on), theres three in a row going up and down on either side of the hood. it always reminds be of shark gills. also, somewhat of a tribute to the car in fear and loathing, the shark. also, i could never really get a feel for a name for him. also, i seem him as a male, though sometimes i call him girl anyways. it could be cause im female that i see him as that.

but there was a car i checked out before i got this one. it was a 1983 lincoln towncar, real nice, real boat. that was definitely female. she was a nice one, i named her right away, even though i only saw her one day and drove her once just around a dirt yard. her name was layla, partly cause it just fit and also the song happened to be playing right when started her up, though i was already thinking of the name before. i still think of her a lot, i wish she were mine. i only hope she went to a good home.

"You wanna get outta here, you talk to me"

My Infiniti Q45 is called "Corleone" because is as big and wide as those old mafia cars from the Godfather flicks.

Anyway how about "Little Bastard" the famous James Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder that has got to be one of the most famous car names.
And I'll be damned if Stephen king didn't get his inspiration for this book from the "curse" of "little Bastard".

Post deleted

I own a '96 Benz and I named her Claire, lol. After the character from the Resident Evil games.

They will say that I have shed innocent bloodwhat's blood for, if not for shedding? - Candyman

I had a '74 Chrysler Valiant ute (Pick up) named Frank. Very expensive to maintain.

I have tried to name my cars. My girlfriend seems to have this ability to overrule me at every turn.

96 Achieva: I called it "Wee Beastie". She called it *beep* because she hated it and it hated her. It would never start if I was going to pick her up or drive her home.

97 Jetta: I called it "Jose" because it was made in Mexico. she changed it to "Pedro".

96 Golf: I called it "The Bismark" because it was German and battleship grey. She claimed it was dolphin grey and because the steering belt squealed, she said it sounded like a dolphin. So my current car is "Flipper".

I just can't win..

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. -George Carlin

That's funny b/c I tend to over-rule as well. My best friend's previous car was changed to Mike because she tried to give him a woman's name.

I don't believe that it's just guys that name their cars (especially since I'm a woman!), and cars are definitely not just female. My first car, a Maroon 1988 Oldsmobile 98, desperately wanted to be a woman. Her name was Kandi and she was a drag queen. One of those fabulously indestructible Queens. I can wax poetic about her. My other car, Umi, is as female as a car can get, though. She's a Toyota Echo, and also known as my bunny. I wish that she had Christine's ability, though, because she was just the victim of a hit and run while she was innocently resting on the street.

I'm a female, and I've named my cars female names. My cars weren't classics like a Plymouth Fury or anything, but I've always liked naming my cars.
My first car, a trusty-run-till-it-fell-apart Ford Tempo, I named Cleo.
My new car, a Hyundai Accent, is Abigail.
I just get a *sense* of what their names are. smile.gif

"I'd say this cloud is Cumulo Nimbus."
"Didn't he discover America?"
"Penfold, shush."

All guys name at least their first car with a grils name.

First you get the money, then you get the car.then you get the pu$$y

I wait for a name to come to me, just like my dogs. Nothing cliche. My 88 Plymouth Sundance was Enir, because the license plate was ENR-3868, my 89 Suburban is Walker, because he always comes to the rescue when anyone needs him for anything, my 00 Blazer is Icehouse, cuz the song Electric Blue fits the sparkly blue paintjob, my 48 Jeep is Dingo, because it's woodsy, and I don't have names yet for my 53 Chevy pickup, 82 Bronco, or 67 Ford Camper Special yet.

The only cliche name I've had so far is my 81 Blazer, my first car. The Beast. Because that's what the guy I bought it from named it, and I couldn't just up and change it. It's like a dog that's had a name for years.

In the end, Okonkwo threw the Cat.

My G8 is named Eleanor (only cause I have had bad luck since I got her) and the wife's expedition is named Bertha.

Yes I know my profile says Stang5150 because I use to own Mustangs exclusively but have since gone over to the Dark Side and got a Pontiac. cloak.gif

I have a '96 mint green Nissan Sentra. Her name is Maryann. I generally only refer to her by name when i am vaguely mad at her or when she is running on empty and im not sure she will make it to the petrol station
I am a girl btw.

Life's like a bottle of whiskeytakes years to mature and sometimes it makes you vomit.

What kind of insecure loser names his car?