Cocoon : Wilford Brimley was awesome in this movie…

Wilford Brimley was awesome in this movie…

I think all of the performances were good but he really did a great job here. I cannot really understand why he wasn't the one to get a nomination. Very strange.

It wasn't me who was murdered, was it?

Re: Wilford Brimley was awesome in this movie…

I agree although I don't really care for awards much. People in every day life go the extra mile in order to provide a service and they never get awards.

Actors get paid handsomely for doing a job they love. That should be reward enough - plus taking into consideration the money a lot get paid.

Has anyone seen my wife?- Columbo

I cannot really understand why he wasn't the one to get a nomination. Very strange.

Of the 4 older male performances in this film, I would have sided with Brimley too. Don Ameche—while entertaining to watch—had the least depth and weakest, (or even zero), character arc, when compared to Brimely, Jack Gilford and Hume Cronyn's performances. It is "very strange" that Fox backed him and that Ameche was also a weaker link, compared to his fellow nominees and he ended up winning. Go figure!

I don't know much about his history with the academy but might this have been one of those situations where he was given the award as a way to honor a body of work even though this particular role wasn't award-worthy? I remember hearing people say that about Paul Newman in The Color of Money and Al Pacino in Scent of A Woman.

It wasn't me who was murdered, was it?

I don't know much about his history with the academy but might this have been one of those situations where he was given the award as a way to honor a body of work even though this particular role wasn't award-worthy?

I feel that this may had been the case here. To my mind, it appears very unfair and disingenuous of the academy, to use an "in-competition" Oscar®, as a career achievement award. Paul Newman received an honorary award at 1986 presentation, then they gave him an "undeserved", in-competition one the following year for THE COLOR OF MONEY.

I think this was quite a common thing to do last millennium. However, it does cast dubious doubts about the voting process—is the recipient of the Oscar®, really the genuine winner? Otherwise, the eligible academy voters, would have to be mindfully casting their vote, as a "career achievement' award too.

All 4 actors did an excellent job but Brimley's role suited him best. He looks and seems like the kind of grandpa who does everything he portrays in this movie.

If Ameche deserved an award, it should've been for Trading Places.

He's great in everything.

Bored now.